Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 hotspot slow with Virtual Desktop

Blahblah
Beginner

I have an MSI MAG B550M Mortar motherboard with onboard Intel AX200 Wifi that I've been using to hotspot Virtual Desktop to my Oculus Quest. The issue is that my connection speed has been limited to 400Mbps, rather than the 866Mbps that the Quest is capable of.

Given that the AX200 should be able to hit 866Mbps over WiFi 5, what is the reason behind this? I've heard that a number of people have been successful in older Windows 10 versions (i.e. 1903), but on 20H2 I haven't been able to get any higher numbers.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Blahblah

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

It is important to say that there is a difference between theoretical throughput and throughput in real-live. However, in order to check this further, could you please provide the following information?

1- Is the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed in your system or did you install/integrate it?

2- Did this configuration work before as you expected? (above 400Mbps?). If yes, was there any recent hardware or software change like Windows® updates or driver updates?

3- By any chance have you tested with a previous version of Windows®? For instance, you mentioned people have been successful in Windows® 1903.

4- How are you monitoring the speed is limited to 400Mbps? Please provide details and screenshots if possible.

5- Are you able to get higher speed for instance when surfing the web or in local file transfers in the Wireless LAN?

6- Have you tested the Oculus Quest* with another wireless computer?

7- Please provide step-by-step instructions on how you are configuring the hotspot Virtual Desktop, please make sure to include all the options or settings that you are selecting.

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Note: To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Blahblah
Beginner

1. I just built the computer myself and the WiFi adapter came built into the motherboard I bought.
2. No, 400Mbps has been it's maximum the entire time on Virtual Desktop.
3. No, this is a new computer. I just used the current version of Windows.
4. It's from the program Virtual Desktop. The bit rate seems to be accurate given the streaming performance I'm getting to my Oculus Quest.
5. I'm not sure. How do you recommend I test this?
6. No, I don't have another computer to test it on right now.
7. Start menu->Mobile Hotspot 2.0. I select:
a. Share my internet connection with other devices
b. Share my connection over WiFi
c. Edit menu->5Ghz network band

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Blahblah
Beginner

I tried hotspotting my phone so that the setup was Quest->phone->PC and I got 866Mbps, but after disconnecting and trying it again I got 400Mbps on that as well.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Blahblah

Thank you very much for all the information provided. However, it seems that we are missing the  Intel® SSU report.

Could you please double-check and provide us with the Intel® SSU report so we can gather more information about your system and assist you better?

Note: To attach the report, you need to reply directly from the thread (replying from the notification email will not upload the report to the thread).

Regarding question # 5, since you don't have another computer, you may check the Speed status from the "Wi-Fi Status" window.  Go to Windows® Settings >> Network & Internet >> on the left menu click on "Status" and then click on "View your network properties".  Look for your Wireless network and check under "Link speed (Received/Transmit)". You may also follow the steps in this YouTube™ link*

Also, if you have an Internet plan that provides you Internet speed higher than 400Mbps, you may try some tests using an "Internet speed test" available from third-party websites (e.g. 
Speedtest by Ookla*, Fast.com*, Speed Test by Speedcheck*, Speedtest - Google*, etc.). Your ISP may also provide a tool to test Internet speed, we recommend checking about it with them.

Please provide screenshots showing Speed status and the Internet speed tests when reproducing this behavior using the Oculus Quest.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
Blahblah
Beginner

I didn't try SSU yet, but I think I figured out part of the problem.

So my router is only operating on WiFi 4 and it seems to be maxing out at 400Mbps. My PC hotspot only seems to be able to operate at the same bit rate as the WiFi network it connects to. If I hotspot my phone to my PC and then hotspot my PC to my Oculus Quest, I get 866Mbps (max Mbps the Quest can handle). So now that I've figured that out, do you know if there's any way I can create a hotspot without connecting to a WiFi network? It's great when my PC hotspots from my phone, except that I then need to turn my phone's mobile data on. While I'm not using the internet on my PC at the time, it means my phone IS using data with any programs that run in the background. I'd like to avoid that, if at all possible.

So just to reiterate, is there a way I can create a hotspot using my PC without any other WiFi/network available in the house?

0 Kudos
Mar5in
Beginner

Hello Blahblah,

I had a similar Problem, getting only 433Mbps from the on-board AX200 from my Desktop. Additionally there were periodic lag spikes, every 3 seconds.
I found help here:

Virtual Desktop 5GHz hotspot periodic lag spikes : OculusQuest (reddit.com)

Now I run the following command before starting the hotspot, in order to deactivate the periodic search of the Wifi Adapter:
netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="WLAN"
This fixes all Issues for me: now I have 866Mbps and zero lag. 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Blahblah

Thank you for your response.

We understand that you have found out this issue is related to a limitation on how the router is operating. In this case, we recommend checking with the router manufacturer for additional assistance, for instance, to see if there are settings that need to be changed or if this is a feature/capability limitation.

Regarding your inquiry "create a hotspot using my PC without any other WiFi/network available". This inquiry seems to be related to Wireless Hosted Network and/or Ad-hoc networks. These features are no longer supported by the recent Wireless Adapters like Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200. All new Wi-Fi devices are required to use this new driver model with the Windows 10 Mobile hotspot*

Nevertheless, please allow us to check this further and as soon as we have more details we will be posting back in the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Blahblah

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, we would like to inform you that "how to configure a hotspot" is out of our scope of support. Therefore, our recommendation is to address these concerns to the Microsoft® Support and Occulus support team so they may provide you with more accurate assistance.

Microsoft* support: https://support.microsoft.com/

Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now from our end. We will leave the thread open in case other users want to participate, but if you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos