Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz - Internet Connection - I

DavidG
Beginner

Hi,

over the past week or so my laptop internet connection has dropped quite regularly when clicking on a link on a web-page with the error message that the Network had been Reset. I then had to reload to get the internet connection back.

Two days ago I installed the latest Wndows update and since then I have had the following issue:

The internet connection icon in windows in the bottom right hand corner shows a globe, and when I put the pointer on it it says no internet access. However I do have an internet connection and actually have no problem with speed or access to the internet. When I open the windows settings wifi page that also says that I have "no internet but secured". When I trouble shoot the issue I get the message "Problem found - Possible solution: Network Reset. I have tried this but nothing changed.

I must say at this point that I also have a HP desktop connected wirelessly to the same router and have no problems or issues with that, so I assume the problem cannot be with the router?

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 model and is still under warranty. I had a long phone session with a Dell IT guy yesterday who remotely accessed my computer to try and solve the problem, which he failed to do. (he did reinstall the Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz driver and the system BIOS?). He concluded that it was a software issue and passed me on to a different IT person (in a different country) who said that I would have to pay for his service as, he said, that software problems were not covered by the Dell warranty (I do not accept that will be getting back to Dell about it) so I did not pay.

Could the problem be a hardware issue with the Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz rather than a software issue?

Any suggestions or ideas in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello DavidG

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this behavior further, could you please confirm the following information?

We understand that you currently have 2 different issues:

1. When clicking on a link on a web-page, you get the error message that the Network had been Reset and the connection drops.
  2. You are seeing a message from the Internet icon (in the notification area) and in the Windows® Settings that there is no Internet, but actually, there is, and with no speed issues.

Are the two previous statements correct?

Also, please kindly provide the following information?

1- Are you using VPN software or any other network or security software?

2- Regarding the issue number #1, does it happens only when clicking in on a link? For instance, if you play a (long) online video or streaming, does it work as expected? Do you see the "Network Reset" message?

3- Are you having issues with Wi-Fi only or with Bluetooth too (both)?

4- When the issue number #1 started, was there any Windows® or Software update at that time? Was there any hardware change? Did it work fine before at any time? 

5- Is the Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed in your system or did you install it on the laptop?

6- Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks? Is this issue happening at home, office environment, or both?

7- Have you tried a different router or Access point for testing purposes? Or have you rebooted your access-point/router? Please provide details.

8- Router/Access point brand, model, and firmware version:

9- When you mentioned you "installed the latest Windows® update", was it a normal update or a major Update (e.g. updating Windows® version from 1909 to 2004)? Please provide details:

10- For reference purposes, what is the brand and model of the wireless card on the HP desktop computer?

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) report to gather more details about your system. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.
  2. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-
  3. Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  4. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. 

Note: To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" dialog below the edit box.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
DavidG
Beginner

To - Andrew G.

Hello Andrew,

thank you for your response. Please see below answers to your questions.

1. When clicking on a link on a web-page, you get the error message that the Network had been Reset and the connection drops.

Answer - this firstly happened frequently, but happens less frequently now (but does still happen).The error message actually says - This site can’t be reached. The connection was reset, ERR_CONNECTION_RESET (SEE ATTACHED SCREEN SHOT) 

2. You are seeing a message from the Internet icon (in the notification area) and in the Windows® Settings that there is no Internet, but actually, there is, and with no speed issues.

Answer - that is correct - the Internet connection seems fine through my web browser, but when I open my Spotify App it says that there is no internet connection and therefore does not connect or work??

Are the two previous statements correct?

Also, please kindly provide the following information?

1- Are you using VPN software or any other network or security software?

Answer - I was using a PROTON VPN up until a few weeks ago but not any longer. I am using McAfee LiveSafe Internet Security.

2- Regarding the issue number #1, does it happens only when clicking in on a link? For instance, if you play a (long) online video or streaming, does it work as expected? Do you see the "Network Reset" message?

Answer - mostly when clicking on a link but sometimes also when opening a new webpage. But as I said above (Question 1) this does not happen so often now.

3- Are you having issues with Wi-Fi only or with Bluetooth too (both)?

Answer: my jaybird headphones connect o.k but my Sony headphones will not?

4- When the issue number #1 started, was there any Windows® or Software update at that time? Was there any hardware change? Did it work fine before at any time? 

Answer - there were no Software or hardware updates or changes that I can remember.

5- Is the Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed in your system or did you install it on the laptop?

Answer - it is the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed

6- Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks? Is this issue happening at home, office environment, or both?

Answer - I only use the computer on my home network as I am retired.

this afternoon I connected to the network in my son’s house (BT broadband router) and had the same issue.

7- Have you tried a different router or Access point for testing purposes? Or have you rebooted your access-point/router? Please provide details.

Answer - I have tried rebooting my Router (Sky broadband) and the problem persisted. This afternoon I went over to my son’s house and I connected to the router in his house (BT broadband router) and had the same issue.

8- Router/Access point brand, model, and firmware version:

Answer - all I can see is that it is a Sky Q Hub Broadband Router Model No. ER115UK

9- When you mentioned you "installed the latest Windows® update", was it a normal update or a major Update (e.g. updating Windows® version from 1909 to 2004)? Please provide details:

Answer - please see attached screenshot with Windows update details

10- For reference purposes, what is the brand and model of the wireless card on the HP desktop computer?

Answer - Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless - AC3160

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) report to gather Answer - Report attached

Best regards,

DavidG

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello DavidG

Thank you for your response and all the details provided.

We understand that you mentioned that DELL™ support assisted you to update the driver, however, after checking the reports, we noticed that the system is running a driver (21.80.0.4) older than the latest one available in the DELL* website as well older than the latest generic driver posted in Intel® Download Center. 

Having said that, we would like to recommend a clean install of the Wireless driver. Please follow the steps in this link:

Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

We recommend testing first with the driver from Dell*, Version: 21.90.2.1, A21 ( Wi-Fi UWD Driver)

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-15-7591-2-in-1-laptop/drivers

If the issue persists, you can repeat the Clean installation steps and try our latest generic driver, version 21.90.3:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29520/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=99446

Regarding the issues with Bluetooth, this could be a compatibility issue with the "Sony headphones" and not necessarily a Bluetooth driver issue since it is working fine with other headphones (jaybird headphones). However, you may try to reinstall or update the Bluetooth driver, we recommend using first the DELL™ driver from the previous DELL™ link shared above, Bluetooth UWD Driver, Version 21.90.1.1, A19.

As a second option, you can test our latest generic Bluetooth driver version 21.90.2:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29538/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10?product=99446

Additional useful links regarding Bluetooth:

Uninstalling the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth® Driver for Your Intel® Wireless Adapter: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005756/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Installation for Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® Software: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006742/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Please let us know the outcome of the steps or if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
DavidG
Beginner
Hi Andrew,

I really appreciate the time and effort you have put into trying to solve my problem.

However, I tried both of your suggestions for the different drivers (separately - and both confirmed that they had been installed successfully after the installations) but when I open the Device Manager the Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160  just keeps on coming back.

Nothing seems to have changed as I still have an Internet connection, but I also still have the Globe saying that there is no internet access

I followed the instructions religiously (including Delete the software for this device with several restarts) but every time I installed one of the new drivers and restarted the computer, when I opened up the Device Manager the only driver showing is the Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160.

See attached screenshot that shows the new driver was installed at 14.21 today and another screenshot that shows the Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160 is still there at 15.30 (the reason for the difference in times is that I repeated the uninstall and install operation several times).

I have also attached a new SSU report in case it helps?

?????????????

Many Thanks

David G

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello DavidG

Thank you for your response and for all the details.

Please allow us to check this further and we will be updating this thread as soon as we have more information available.

Note:

Just for you to know, the wireless card will be always shown in Device Manager as "Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz", this refers to the Wireless device name and it is displayed the same way regardless of the "driver installer file name" used to install or update the driver.

If we are installing a different driver version (either newer or older) where we should be able to notice changes is in the driver version, but the "wireless device name" will remain the same, please refer to "Option two: Manual identification" in the below link for an example on how to check driver version:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005655/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
DavidG
Beginner

Hi Andrew,

someone posted this possible solution in an on-line forum saying the issue could be associated with a recent Windows update (Version 2004 I think it said?) and it seems to have solved my problem, as having tried the fix the Globe on the windows taskbar on my laptop has now been replaced with the normal wifi icon.

Solution: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet -    ( DWORD EnableActiveProbing was set to 0, change it to 1 ).

(unfortunately since closing the link I cannot now find the original post with the author's name to give him/her credit).

Thanks again for your efforts.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello DavidG

Thank you for your response and the details provided.

We understand that the solution you found on another forum solved the issue regarding the "Globe icon" in the Windows® notification area. Did it also solve the connection drop issues with the error message saying "This site can’t be reached"? Are you able to use the apps or click on links without Internet issues?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
DavidG
Beginner

Hi Andrew G,

The "Globe item" in the Windows notification area is resolved and seems O.K. now.

However, the connection drop issues with the error message saying "This site can’t be reached"? does still occur sometimes.

Also, there is definitely a problem with Bluetooth which will only connect to one device at a time. All other devices have to be disconnected and unpaired before it will connect to the single device that I want. 

I understand that this is yet another issue with the same Windows update (Version 2004?) that Microsoft is aware of but not yet fixed.

Regards

DavidG

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello DavidG

Thank you for your response.

After checking this further, at this point we consider this may be related to a hardware issue since we have tested drivers from both your OEM DELL™ and from Intel® website, and also the system has the latest BIOS and Windows® version and the issues persisted.

In this case, we recommend two options:

1- Trying an operating system factory reset or a fresh install of the operating system. For this option, we highly recommend contacting your OEM DELL™ for proper instructions and to take all the necessary previsions, for instance, performing a backup of all your data, checking Windows® license considerations in case of reinstalling Windows, etc.

2- Since the laptop is still under warranty, to take the laptop to a DELL* technical center or any other technical center authorized by them in order to technical support to physically inspect the wireless card, or they to reset the network card.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello DavidG

We are checking this thread and we have not heard back from you. If the issue persists, our final recommendation is to take the laptop to a DELL* technical center for a physical inspection and/or reset of the wireless card.

We will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored. It was a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos