Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz - Connected with internet on 2.4Ghz, Connected NO internet on 5Ghz

Saul
Beginner

Hello,

I recently purchased a second hand gaming PC, which came with the Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz Wi-Fi card. At first it wouldnt connect to my wireless, it said 'Connected, no internet'.

I spent countless hours trying many different things, from re-installing windows, re-installing the drivers, from Intel directly and through windows. Running many different CMD prompts to clear DNS cache, changing IP config and many many other options I found on the internet.

I finally managed to get the connection to work when I changed the 802.11a/b/g Wireless Mode to 2.4Ghz. I then proceeded to create 2 different SSID's one for the 2.4Ghz channel and one for the 5Ghz channel. All other devices work perfectly on the 5Ghz wireless network, no matter where they are in my house. The only thing running off the 2.4Ghz channel is my new PC. The connection is solid, but much slower than the 5Ghz connection.

Has anyone else had similar issues and managed to fix it please?

Thanks in advance

Saul

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Saul, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

So we can have more information from your system, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach). 

2. Brand and model number of the router/AP that you are using. 

3. By any chance, do you know if this system used to connect to the 5 GHz band before?  

4. Was this the original adapter that came pre-installed in the system or was it changed? 

5. Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks? 

6. Is the Bluetooth functional on this system? 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Saul
Beginner

Hello Sebastian,

Thanks for getting back to me. Scan attached.

2. Brand and model number of the router/AP that you are using - Sky Q hub (latest version that I got with my Sky package)

3. By any chance, do you know if this system used to connect to the 5 GHz band before? - All other devices connect via 5Ghz with no faults, including other windows laptops

4. Was this the original adapter that came pre-installed in the system or was it changed? - I did purchase a second adaptor which worked temporarily on the 5Ghz network, but then it decided to do the same thing. (other model was bought from Amazon - )

5. Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks? - As its a PC, I havent been able to transfer it to another network, I am based from my home.

6. Is the Bluetooth functional on this system? - I use a wireless keyboard and mouse, but do not use the bluetooth in the card to connect with anything. Fairly certain it is turned off.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Saul

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Saul,  

Thank you for your reply. 

I would like to let you know that the installation or use of Intel® Wireless Adapters is subject to country-specific legal regulations. A Wireless Adapter installed in a system that is being sold on the market doesn't necessarily mean that same wireless adapter can be used or installed in any other systems. As each country may have different regulatory requirements, before you install/change the Wireless Adapter in a system, you must contact the system manufacturer to determine if the adapter you plan to install is approved for use in your system and country. You are required to follow the manufacturer's post-approval requirements. Did you check with Asus* for compatibility? 

This can be a problem with the installation of the wireless card or the antennas, however; you can try the following:  

1. Change de advanced wireless settings to the recommended settings for 802.11ac connectivity: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless.html 

2. You can also update the BIOS to the latest version available, check with Asus* for the recommendations: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/  

3. Check with your service provider for the recommended settings on your router to work with a Wi-Fi 6 AX card, chances are that you need a firmware update also.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.  

0 Kudos
Saul
Beginner

Hello Sebastian,

I have followed your recommendations and nothing has changed. Still the same error.

I spent a long time on the phone to my ISP, who provided the router (Sky) and they said all updates are sent directly to the hub and kept up to date at all times.

Regarding the compatability, they said it is compatible with their router. I also wanted to note, that if it wasnt, then surely I wouldnt be able to connect at all?

I understand the issue is between the wireless card and the router, be it the wireless channels or similar, but because all other devices work on this network over 5Ghz, I must insist the problem lies with the wireless card?

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Saul

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Saul,   

Thank you for your update. 

Based on what we have done at software level, this can be a problem with the hardware integration. Chances are that the antennas are not properly setup; or the antennas are not good enough. 

I will highly recommend you to reseat the wireless card (remove and reinstall) and check the antennas. You should check with Asus* for compatibility and installation recommendation. 

Oh the other hand, it can be a faulty wireless card or even a faulty motherboard.

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Saul,  

Were you able to check the previous post and follow our recommendations? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Saul
Beginner

Hi Sebastian,

You arent really recommending anything other than suggesting my hardware is faulty.

I have reset the wireless card multiple times and it still isnt working.

I have installed every driver possible and even older copies to see if its an issue with latest driver.

The antennas seem fine? They are both plugged in and connect to 2.5Ghz with no issues. I just have a very slow connection on this range.

What do you suggest I do next?

Thanks

Saul

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Saul,   

Thank you for the update. 

Based on what we have already tried, we have no other recommendations rather than thinking this is a hardware issue. 

As we mentioned, chances are that you have a faulty wireless card or motherboard. On the other hand, this can be a compatibility issue that you should check with Asus*: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless.html 

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

There are a few things to try to get a 5 GHz link. First, let me point out that even if you cannot get an AX link, getting an AC link will still be better than an N link on 2.4 GHz. I had a very similar situation with an AC USB adapter than would not connect to 5 GHz network but would readily connect to the 2.4 GHz network. The issue turned out to be the control channel on the 5 GHz band. Once I moved the control channel to the lower end, the USB wireless linked on 5 GHz reliably.

Download and install NetSpot from https://www.netspotapp.com/. I recommend using the downloaded and installed version rather than the Store version because the Store version does not recognize AX networks, whereas the downloadable version does recognize and will report AX networks when they are available. NetSpot will let you see what wireless networks are being heard, the channels, signal strength, and mode. That is the first step to being sure your 5 GHz wireless is working, how strong the signal is, if something is else is possibly interfering, and the channel(s).

If that is working properly to this point and you see the 5 GHz wireless, take note of the control channel, and width of the network. If the control channel is in the higher range, see if you can change the wireless appliance, the Sky Q unit, to move the control channel to the lower end. Remember that even getting an AC link will be a nice upgrade over the 2.4 GHz links.

I look forward to reading what you find. Sometimes sleuthing these things can be fun. But they also require a dose pf patience.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Saul,  

Were you able to check with the OEM for further support? Please let me know if you need more assistance or if you have any additional questions.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Saul,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos