Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz adapter will turn off in heavy traffic

MEZesUBI
Novice

Hi All,

INFO:

I recently built my pc.

It has an ASUS Rog Strix B550-E Gaming motherboard with built in Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz adapter.

Windows 10 is fresh installed.

Driver version is 22.40.0.7, device manager tells it's a 3/3/2021 one, though I'm not sure about that.

I am connecting to a Virgin Media Hub 3.0. This supports the modes 802.11b/g/n mixed on 2.4 GHz and 802.11a/n/ac mixed on 5 Ghz. I left every setting on default, with both modes turned on. It also has some channel optimization turned on, which does the following: "This feature regularly checks if you are on the right channel and channel width, minimizing interference and congestion as much as possible."

I didn't bother tinkering in the driver's advanced settings:

• the 802.11a/b/g Wireless mode is set to Dual Band 802.11a/b/g
  • the 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless mode is set to 802.11ax   (<- I recognise this might cause the issue and I should set it to ac. I'll test it later)

PROBLEM:

When I download / upload large files to the internet or share through WLAN to my other devices, or sometimes even when just playing online and/or using voice chat, the adapter tends to randomly turn off. When this occurs, the list of wireless devices from the bottom right corner of the taskbar goes empty, but the WiFi button seems enabled.

When this occurs, from the before mentioned wireless devices menu I just turn off the WiFi and turn it back on, and it goes back to normal.

FURTHER STEPS - DONE

I will try setting the 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless mode to 802.11ac to see if that solves the issue. 

QUESTION

I saw a lot of users reporting the same / similar issues with newer adapters. Was there a solution previously found for this issue?

Many Thanks!

UPDATE:

I set the 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless mode to 802.11ac. Unfortunately this did not resolve my issue. In a span of 1 hour while sharing files with my laptop, the adapter turned off twice now. Solution still required. Please help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello MEZesUBI

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. Please share more information with us: 

• When did it start to happen?
  • Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update or Wireless driver update?
  • Is this issue happening at home, office environment or both?
  • What Windows build are you using?
  • Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks?
  • Were you able to have you wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before?
  • Have you installed any recent software or hardware in your system?
  • Did you test other drivers? What versions?

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
MEZesUBI
Novice

Hi David,

Please allow me to respond point-by-point:

• When did it start to happen? Just after getting my newly built desktop set up.
  • Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update or Wireless driver update? I cannot tell, as the OS was freshly installed and updated on my newly build PC.
  • Is this issue happening at home, office environment or both? I am using my desktop at home, under the initially described circumstances.
  • What Windows build are you using? 19043.1348
  • Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks? This is my only home network.
  • Were you able to have you wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before? n/a, desktop newly built, os fresh installed.
  • Have you installed any recent software or hardware in your system? n/a
  • Did you test other drivers? What versions? no, driver was downloaded by Asus Armoury Crate.

Hope these answers may be able to help.

Kind regards,

MEZesUBI

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thank you for the update. We recommend testing a clean installation of the latest driver available for this card, make sure to check with the motherboard manufacturer that you're running the latest BIOS version:

Also, please remember to use the Recommended Settings for 802.11ax Connectivity

After you try those steps please let us know if the issue persists.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.    

Best regards,  

David G.  

0 Kudos
MEZesUBI
Novice

Hi David,

I am currently away and won't be able to check until mid January.

I'll reply to this post once tested.

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thank you for letting us know. In case we don't hear from you, we will follow up next month.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello @MEZesUBI

We're following up to continue with the thread.

Let us know if you still need assistance.   

Best regards,  

David G.  

0 Kudos
MEZesUBI
Novice

Hi @David_G_Intel,

I downloaded all the recent drivers from Asus' support page and couldn't find any issues yet, with no interruptions during the download of the 120GB game Red Dead Redemption 2.

The current WiFi driver is 22.80.1.1.

Hopefully I won't find any issues, but I'll keep you updated.

Thanks for all your help!

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thank you for the update, if you have any questions please let us know.

Best regards,  

David G.  

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello MEZesUBI

Let us know if the issues persist or if we can close this thread.

Best regards,  

David G.  

0 Kudos
MEZesUBI
Novice

Hi David,

It's fine to close this thread now.

Thanks again for your help and patience!

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

We're glad to know the information helped. Hopefully, it will help other community members. Since the thread is now solved, we will close it. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,  

David G  

0 Kudos