Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 - Linux (Xubuntu 20.04) - Slow speeds and Disconnections

epsilon_c
Novice

First of all, I appreciate anyone taking the time to help us out,

For a laptop with Xubuntu 20.04 and Intel AX201 Dual Band WIFI & Bluetooth 5.1 (up to 2.4 Gbps) wifi, I have the following issues and am open to any suggestions.

Issues

1. Quite frequently my internet access would be cut out. Wifi is still being displayed as "connected". Trying to open up a webpage just stalls the webpage (spinning disc but no 404 screen or whatever). Within 5 minutes it automatically starts working by itself (sometimes in 30 seconds sometimes 5 minutes). Nothing I do mitigates the issue. Turning it off and on, reconnecting to the network etc. does not help.
  2. Internet with this AX201 card tops out at 4 Mbps. On my other laptop (same OS, same network, same location, just 1 minute apart) internet can reach to 35 Mbps. Upload speeds are also terrible with it. This is when it manages to connect.

Notes

1. No other devices have the same issue. Mobile or otherwise. While this board has connectivity issues, other devices do not (played the same youtube video at the same time, it disconnected within 10 minutes).

Hardware:

• Intel AX 201 Dual Band Wifi / Bluetooth
  • Intel i7-10750H
  • Nvidia GTX 1660Ti
  • 64 GB ram, 512 GB SSD
  • Metabox Alpha-X NH58DC laptop

Operating System:

Xubuntu 20.04 (same as Ubuntu 20.04 just different UI)

Driver and other info:

sudo lshw -C network

<omitting irrelevant stuff>
  *-network
       description: Wireless interface
       product: Wi-Fi 6 AX201
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 14.3
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=5.4.0-60-generic firmware=50.3e391d3e.0 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
  *-network
       description: Ethernet interface
       product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
       vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
       physical id: 0.1
       capacity: 1Gbit/s
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 firmware=rtl8411-2_0.0.1 07/08/13 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII

modinfo iwlwifi

filename: /lib/modules/5.4.0-60-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/iwlwifi.ko
license:        GPL
author:         Copyright(c) 2003- 2015 Intel Corporation <linuxwifi@intel.com>
description:    Intel(R) Wireless WiFi driver for Linux
<I can provide other stuff if asked>

Solutions I've tried

1. Updating the computer, restarting OS, reseting router...
  2. Downloaded the drivers from the following link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005511/network-and-io/wireless.html and then copied into /lib/firmware

None of the above worked. Older devices have faster and more stable internet on the same network. I've worked a lot on this any help is highly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello epsilon_c,   

Thank you for your update. 

As you advised through our internal interactions, the following steps fixed your issue: 

Set the authentication type as 'WPA2-PSK' and Encryption 'AES'. 

Based on your feedback, we are considering this thread as solved, so we will proceed to close it. If you need further help, please submit a new post and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M    

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

22 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello epsilon_c,   

Thank you for your update. 

As you advised through our internal interactions, the following steps fixed your issue: 

Set the authentication type as 'WPA2-PSK' and Encryption 'AES'. 

Based on your feedback, we are considering this thread as solved, so we will proceed to close it. If you need further help, please submit a new post and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M    

Intel Customer Support Technician

broy
Beginner

"Set the authentication type as 'WPA2-PSK' and Encryption 'AES'. "

Could you explain how to set these two things? Where is the option to set these in Ubuntu?

0 Kudos