Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 - slow 5Ghz speed

crimson_fart
Beginner

Hello, I need some help with the wireless adapter on my laptop, Lenovo ThinkBook 15 G2 ITL, brand new. 

I have a weird issue with my home network. I'm paying for 200/100 speed, and I have 2 computers - a desktop which is in the bedroom, and my laptop which is in the same room as the router. The WiFi network is set up at 5Ghz, and scanning the area I've found zero other networks that operate on 5Ghz.

Running speedtest on the desktop computer gives me 150-180 download which is what I'd expect from a wireless connection, but on the laptop it barely gives me 30 download and, for some reason, 70 upload. I've checked the adapter settings, and it shows link speed of 800 Mbps on 802.11ac. When I connect the laptop with a wire I'm getting 200.

So far, I've tried rebooting everything, disconnecting all devices from the network except the laptop, changing WiFi channels, repositioning the laptop, nothing worked. I've checked resource monitor and I don't see any running processes that could be stealing bandwidth. Receive window auto-tuning is set to normal, QoS is disabled - I also tried disabling auto-tuning and it didn't help. Tried disabling anti-virus, firewall and all other protections, didn't help. Then I tried connecting to 2.4Ghz network and there I'm getting 80/60, so faster than on 5Ghz.

After that I tried installing the Lenovo recommended driver, and after that the latest Intel driver - didn't work. 

I'm out of ideas. Every other device connected to the same wifi gives me the expected speeds except this laptop. I've attached the SSU scan of my system and really hoping you guys can help!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello crimson_fart,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?   

2. Have you update your drivers and BIOS? 

3. Did you noticed the issue after a system update? 

4. Try to update the Windows version.

5. Have you checked with Lenovo to discard any malfunction?

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
crimson_fart
Beginner

Thank you for replying,

1. This is the original adapter

2. As I said, I tried both the Intel latest driver and Lenovo recommended driver, none of them worked. The BIOS hasn't been touched

3. No, the issue has been present since I bought the computer, I just didn't care about it because I didn't need super-fast internet on the laptop, but now I do

4. MY Windows is already updated to the latest version

5. The laptop is working fine and the 2.5Ghz connection is working as expected, so I'd say there is no malfunction. Also, I've tried using a TP-Link Wireless Nano USB Adapter in the laptop, and with it I'm getting 150-180Mbps on the 5Ghz connection, so it's definitely a problem with the Intel adapter, because it's the only device in my house connected to the Wi-Fi but not getting the expected speeds

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello crimson_fart, 

Thanks for the information provided, and in order to help you further please try the following:

1. Use the recommended settings for your wireless adapter. You can also visit Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity and Recommended Settings for 802.11ax Connectivity. 

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/wireless/legacy-intel-wireless-products.html

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057574/wireless/intel-wireless-products.html

2. Verify that your whole system configuration is compatible and supported (If you are using an AC router with an AX card you may not be able to achieve all the features available for AX connectivity). 

3. Check with your router/modem manufacturer for firmware updates. 

4. Check with Lenovo for further instructions.

Regards,   

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello crimson_fart,  

Were you able to check the previous post? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello crimson_fart,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos