Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 not connecting to 5GHz network

tomy983
Beginner

It does connect only some times, often after changing settings back and fwd between 802.11ac and 802.11ax (both randomly works).

Sometimes have to restart WWAN AutoConfig  service (is setted on automatic start).

Driver version I have tried with same results:

22.50.1.1 (current)

Tried to uninstall and reinstall everything. No change. Fisically removed and reinstalled the wifi module. No change.

Network is 5GHz 802.11ac, works fine with my TV, phones, tablet.

Sometimes changing driver make it works until a reboot. 

When working it will keep going until a reboot. At following reboots will not work unless a driver change, a WWAN AutoConfig  service restart, a change of settings of the wifi card.

2.4Ghz network always work.

I have installed: intel driver support assistant (shows everything up to date).

Processor: i5 10600K

From Wlan report:

Device: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz

PNP ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2725&SUBSYS_00248086&REV_1A\4&1C3E934C&0&00DB

Guid: {F4BA89C8-F6F5-4ACD-8BF3-054A94E09F93}

Current driver version: 22.50.1.1

Driver date: 4-28-2021

DevNode flags: 0x180200a

ERRORS:

driver disconnecting during association

eventid 10002:  WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped

Path: C:\Windows\system32\IntelIHVRouter08.dll

eventid 8002: WLAN AutoConfig service failed to connect to a wireless network.

FailureReason Driver disconnected while associating

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @tomy983

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this behavior further, could you please provide the following information?

1- Is the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed in your system or did you install/integrate it on the computer?

2- When did the issue start to happen? Did the system work fine before at any time? Is this a new computer? Please provide details.

3- Do you remember if this issue happened after a new Windows update or Wireless/Bluetooth driver update?

4- Have you tried a different router or Access point for testing purposes? Maybe one that is AX compatible? Have you rebooted your access point, router, modem? Please provide details.

5- Router/Access point brand, model, and firmware version:

6- Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks? Is this issue happening at home, office environment, or both?

7- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.
  • To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
tomy983
Beginner

Hello @AndrewG_Intel 

Thank you for your answer.

1- Is the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed in your system or did you install/integrate it on the computer?

This is an home build system. I installed the adapter myself.

2- When did the issue start to happen? Did the system work fine before at any time? Is this a new computer? Please provide details.

The system is recent, as the adapter. It started running around march. The adapter was installed few weeks later and had the same issue from the beginning, probably on windows version 20H2

3- Do you remember if this issue happened after a new Windows update or Wireless/Bluetooth driver update?

See prev.

4- Have you tried a different router or Access point for testing purposes? Maybe one that is AX compatible? Have you rebooted your access point, router, modem? Please provide details.

I don't have access to an AX compatible router. The router was rebooted several times, various settings tried. The router is working fine without issues with several (2 phones, one tablet and one TV, all from different vendors) devices connected on the 5GHz network.

5- Router/Access point brand, model, and firmware version:

tp-link

1.6.0 0.9.1 v004a.0 Build 181219 Rel.54042n
 Archer MR200 v2 00000001
Latest Version: 1.6.0 0.9.1 v004a.0 Build 181219 Rel.54042n

Mode: 802.11a/n/ac mixed (Tried 802.11ac/n mixed, without luck)
Channel: Auto  (rural area, no noise or other routers in the same area)
Channel Width: 80MHz  (Tried also 40 and 20, without differences)

6- Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks? Is this issue happening at home, office environment, or both?

Unable. This is a desktop PC. The adapter seems to work fine on 2,4GHz networks (as I am currently using), included mobile phones hotspots.

7- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

Attached, with also the picture of the installation.

Thank you, Thomas

0 Kudos
AlteredVibes
Beginner

I'm currently having the same issue now, It didn't do this before I used to use 5g all the time! Recently it just stopped randomly so I uninstalled & deleted the old driver and downloaded the latest one. Still no 5G showing up. 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello tomy983

Thank you for your response.

Checking the website and User's Manual* of the motherboard ASRock* Z590 Steel Legend, we don't see any customized driver for wireless adapters nor a compatibility list that specifically states that the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 is supported. It seems it only provides a general reference saying that you may install an M.2 2230 WiFi/BT module or Intel® CNVi wireless. May we ask you if you checked with ASRock* support before integrating the wireless card to confirm full compatibility?

Nevertheless, we would like to recommend the following steps:

1- Change the Advanced Wi-Fi adapter settings to "VHT mode or 802.11ac". Please refer to the following link for instructions, section "802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode or HT Mode": Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings

2- Check the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity. If the issue persists, please proceed to step 3.

3- Follow the next steps on this link for a Clean Installation of Wireless and Bluetooth Drivers. Check on Windows® Apps & Features and uninstall any entry related to Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software (if applicable). Install the Bluetooth driver first, and then the Wireless driver.

Note: To avoid Windows® update reinstalling a different driver during the process, we recommend first downloading and saving the driver installers in your computer, then disconnect the Internet and proceed with the clean installation process:

After installation, please set again the "VHT mode or 802.11ac" mode and Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity

4- Suggestion:

We noticed that there is a new BIOS update available for the system. As per the Intel® SSU report, the computer is running BIOS version P1.40. As per ASRock* website, BIOS 1.50 is now available. We recommend checking with ASRock* Support if this update may have fixes or improvements related to Wireless integrations and to confirm if they recommend proceeding with the update.

Feel free to report back the outcome of the steps.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
tomy983
Beginner

Hello @AndrewG_Intel
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately still no luck. 
I followed all your steps. Here is the outcome:

Checking the website and User's Manual* of the motherboard ASRock* Z590 Steel Legend, we don't see any customized driver for wireless adapters nor a compatibility list that specifically states that the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 is supported. It seems it only provides a general reference saying that you may install an M.2 2230 WiFi/BT module or Intel® CNVi wireless. May we ask you if you checked with ASRock* support before integrating the wireless card to confirm full compatibility?

Asrock also sells the same motherboard including your  Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210.  It is called Z590 Steel Legend WiFi 6E. I would exclude compatibility issues. I bough it separated because they don't sell that model in my country. 

Nevertheless, we would like to recommend the following steps:

1- Change the Advanced Wi-Fi adapter settings to "VHT mode or 802.11ac". Please refer to the following link for instructions, section "802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode or HT Mode": Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings

2- Check the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity. If the issue persists, please proceed to step 3.

Both steps produced the same result. nothing changed.

3- Follow the next steps on this link for a Clean Installation of Wireless and Bluetooth Drivers. Check on Windows® Apps & Features and uninstall any entry related to Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software (if applicable). Install the Bluetooth driver first, and then the Wireless driver.

Note: To avoid Windows® update reinstalling a different driver during the process, we recommend first downloading and saving the driver installers in your computer, then disconnect the Internet and proceed with the clean installation process:

After installation, please set again the "VHT mode or 802.11ac" mode and Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity

Completed. I had trouble uninstalling PROSet/Wireless Software but managed it eventually. The driver that was installed before removing it was from a windows update and was actually more recent (22.60...). But I followed your instructions carefully. The issue is still here. At present for instance I am connected to the 5GHz network. Last night I could not. And I did not changed anything.

Shouldnt't 802.11ax be fully compatible with 802.11ac? Anyway, even setting it to 802.11n does't make any difference.

4- Suggestion:

We noticed that there is a new BIOS update available for the system. As per the Intel® SSU report, the computer is running BIOS version P1.40. As per ASRock* website, BIOS 1.50 is now available. We recommend checking with ASRock* Support if this update may have fixes or improvements related to Wireless integrations and to confirm if they recommend proceeding with the update.

Updated to latest 1.60

Feel free to report back the outcome of the steps.

I attach again my scan from ssu and my wlan report from windows..

Thank you

Best regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello tomy983

Thank you very much for the information about the outcome of the steps and for the new reports. Please allow us to review this further and we will be posting back as soon as more details are available or in case more information is required.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
tomy983
Beginner

Thank you, @AndrewG_Intel

I also wrote to Asrock. Here is theyr response:

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your email.

In general, Z590 Steel Legend should compatible with AX210, because we have a similar model called Z590 Steel Legend Wifi 6E and it is a motherboard with AX210.

Please try the below driver to verify your system.

https://download.asrock.com/Drivers/Intel/WLAN/Intel_WLAN(v22.20.0.6_02595).zip

If you have other questions, please feel free to contact us.

All the best,

ASRock TSD

I did tried aldo the drivers they suggested. same outcome...

Thank you

Thomas

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello tomy983

Perfect, thank you very much for this new information and clarification. We will review this further and post back as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello tomy983

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, this seems to be related to a hardware/antenna issue. We understand that you previously updated to the latest BIOS version available (1.60) as per the ASRock* website, so we would suggest contacting your OEM ASRock* and checking with them if there are newer BIOS updates available or if they are working on new/future BIOS releases that you may try to help in solving this behavior. Also, please check with your OEM if the Chipset drivers/software on your system is up to date or if it is necessary to install/update it. Your OEM lists the latest drivers in the following link "ASRock* Z590 Steel Legend Downloads" but the recommendation is to check directly with them.

Finally, there could be product limitations depending on your country (user's location). Installation or use of Intel® Wireless Adapters is subject to country-specific legal regulations. Some countries require the Intel® Wireless Adapters to be certified with the antenna that is intended to be used together in the system, while some countries require the Intel® Wireless Adapter to be certified at the full system level. For more information, please review this article Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade.

If the behavior persists, our recommendation is to check this further with your OEM for further assistance, debugging, and for help to physically inspect the connectors.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello tomy983

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos