Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210

SupremeKi
Novice

Good afternoon all!  I have a Asus ROG Strix GL703GE laptop that currently has a 9560 wireless card and am considering upgrading to the AX210.  The AX210 does have an E key for the M.2 slot and also is 2230 size.  My question/confusion comes in regarding the CNVio vs CNVio2 system interface type.  I've seen a couple other posts regarding compatibility that with the AX200/201 wireless cards but haven't found anything regarding the AX210.

My question is if my intent is to upgrade from the 9560 to the AX210 would this be possible?  Not a lot of clear cut explanations out there so any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Images of wireless cards specs provided below.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Maria_R_Intel

Hello SupremeKi,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

Please allow me some time to verify the CNVi information.

I will post back here as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

SupremeKi
Novice

Good morning @Maria_R_Intel  and thank you for the reply.

Just following up to see if you've found out any additional information on my above question?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@Maria_R_Intel,

To put this all into perspective, we know that the AC9560 card requires a (M.2 Type E) socket configured with support for CNVio, the AX200 card requires a standard socket and the AX201 card requires a socket configured for CNVio2. We presume that the AX210, by its numbering and based upon the information available in ARK, essentially replaces the AX200 and requires (just) a standard socket. In theory, any M.2 Type E socket should be able to support the AX210 card. Even sockets configured to support CNVio or CNVio2 should be able to support the AX210 card (and the AX200 card, for that matter).

Now, I have seen posts here in the forums that would seem to indicate that, as least for one implementation, the AX200 card would not work in sockets supporting CNVio (i.e. sockets originally implemented to support the AC9560). In fact, it was reported by at least two individuals that their boards (but same board) hung if the AX200 card was present. Hence the confusion; this shouldn't have been the case. These sockets should have supported this module just fine - and should also support the AX210 card as well. My (our?) questions are: Was the problem that those folks encountered an anomaly? Should, in the general case, the AX200 and AX210 cards work just fine in sockets designed for the support of CNVio (or CNVio2)?

...S

P.S. @SupremeKi, I am not trying to hijack your conversation. I am just trying to more-fully define the question(s). I apologize if this was not what you were interesting in hearing.

SupremeKi
Novice

@n_scott_pearson No offense taken!!  I'm open to any constructive feedback as a networking professional and enthusiast, I'm big on the learning process and the "why's".  And I'm smart enough to know when I've reached the limit of my knowledge to seek out additional info.

Thanks for the insight and clarification.  Hoping to get to the resolution. 

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello all,

Thank you for your comments.

We are still looking at this, I passed the descriptive information provided by Scott to our team, and I will be posting back soon with more details.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello SupremeKi,

After check this internally, check the below information:

However, for full compatibility information, only the original equipment manufacturer from the Laptop/board can assist you. So please, contact them.

Also,  as you are planning an upgrade, take into consideration that your laptop may not recognize new hardware when you install an Intel® Wireless Adapter for several reasons.

• Manufacturer limitations: Original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) may limit the computer to only specific wireless adapters, causing an installation error when booting with a different, previously installed wireless adapter. We recommend contacting the manufacturer, vendor, or place of purchase about availability and support for Intel Wireless Adapter upgrades. Laptop manufacturers must meet regulatory requirements to determine if you can install the Intel Wireless Adapter in your system.
• Regulatory issues: We do not recommend installing or upgrading the various Intel Wireless Adapters. Replacing an adapter associated with specific wireless software and a different adapter type may cause connection issues or software error messages. For example, if you replace a Wi-Fi/WiMAX adapter with a Wi-Fi adapter, you may receive WiMAX error messages and lose connectivity to the WiMAX network.
• Driver limitations: Your computer manufacturer can customize drivers and software to enable or alter features or provide improved operation on your computer. Contact the manufacturer for the latest updates and technical support information.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos