Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Wi-Fi 6e AX411 will not install in Win 11

Saltgrass
Beginner

I am trying to replace an AX201 with an AX411.  The installer keeps failing and gives strange messages regarding the process.  I have downloaded the drivers directly from Intel and tried using the Support utility to install the drivers, which also failed.

I have tried two cards now and they both behave the exact same way so for some reason the cards are refusing to be installed.  I noticed something regarding the Hardware ID on the cards which I will add below.  Those Hardware IDs are not listed in the .inf file being used to install the drivers.  

I can only think of two reasons why these cards cannot be installed.  Possibly Intel needs to update the .inf file/Installer or the cards may be bogus.

If anyone has any ideas as to what could be happening, I would appreciate some help.  I have quite a bit of experience installing Wi-Fi adapters but this one has me stumped.

Thanks for reading.

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_06F0&SUBSYS_00B48086&REV_00

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_06F0&SUBSYS_00B48086

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_06F0&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_06F0&CC_0280

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Saltgrass

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that you have replaced the wireless adapter on your system to integrate an Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX411 and it is having issues with being installed or installing its drivers.

First, we would like to make it clear that the 22.140.0 driver package supports the wireless adapter Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX411.

Second, we would like to know if you reviewed directly with the computer manufacturer (OEM) to confirm the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX411 is 100% validated and approved for compatibility with your system? Or did you review with them if any driver, BIOS update/setting, firmware update, or any other step(s) would be required to allow a good working condition and correct wireless integration¹?

In this scenario, you may try the following suggestions:

1- Update the Operating System (OS) and install any pending updates. Please refer to this link for further instructions: Update Windows*. You may also check with Microsoft* Support for additional guidance.

2- Perform a clean installation of drivers for both components Bluetooth and Wireless using the latest customized drivers provided by the computer manufacturer. Please contact your original equipment manufacturer (OEM) for the recommended drivers and follow the steps in these articles for installation instructions:

• How to Perform a Clean Installation of Bluetooth Drivers
  • Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers                      
  • Note: During the process, after uninstalling the current drivers and before reinstalling the drivers, you may clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else, then press OK. Reboot your computer and proceed to install the drivers.
  • We recommend installing the Bluetooth driver first, followed by the wireless driver.

If driver updates are not available from your OEM or if the issue persists, please repeat the clean installation using the generic drivers from Intel:

3- You may also check if there is a BIOS update available for your system that may help with this behavior.

If the wireless adapter is still not recognized, this could be due to an incompatibility issue or a defective adapter. The most common root causes of these types of incompatibility problems are:

• The OEM driver has not been validated/customized for the configuration (PC/laptop + Wireless card + Operating System)
  • The system may require a firmware update.
  • The system connector for the wireless card is not designed (at the electronic or physical level) to work with the Intel® Wireless adapter.
  • There is a limitation from the computer manufacturer (OEM), for instance, at the BIOS level.

In that case, and considering OEMs may limit the computer to only specific wireless adapters, our recommendation is to review further with your original equipment manufacturer regarding the wireless integration and compatibility.

Notes:

1- Please be aware that the installation or use of Intel® Wireless Adapters is subject to country-specific legal regulations. When an end-user installs a wireless card on a system that did not come with it from the factory, this is what we call "Wireless Integration" and it may cause connection issues or software-hardware errors. For more information, please review the following links:

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
Beginner

OK, I will go through what you suggest, I am currently doing an in-place Win 11 upgrade on the system.

What I would really like is for you to confirm the HardwareID mentioned earlier is actually for an AX411 network adapter.  If it is not, then that explains all the strange install failed messages I am seeing.

Thanks

Clark

Edit:  I have ordered two AX211 cards to see if they work any better and will try them when they arrive early next month.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

For VEN_8086, DEV_06F0, CC_0280, I am getting AX201, not AX411 ????

...S

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
Beginner

Thanks, that is what I found before.  When I looked at the .inf file that installs the drivers, that HardwareID was not listed so the installer had no way to know what version of the driver to install so it just quit without installing anything.  I checked my AX210 and it showed the same HardwareID as is shown in the .inf file.

I found out you can put HardwareIDs in the Microsoft Update catalog and get drivers for certain devices.  It also shows it was either a Network adapter or an Intel sound device of some type.

If these cards are actually physically AX411 cards then someone at Intel or whoever flashed the firmware used the wrong version.  If these cards can be re-flashed, they need to be recalled and fixed.

It was suggested I use the 22.140.0.x driver version but I am using the 22.150.0.x version with the Windows Beta Insiders program and the install is failing in the same way there.  I am using the 22.140 version in Win 11.

I am going to advise the seller to get in touch with Intel to get this worked out.

Thanks again..

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Saltgrass

Thank you for your response and for all the details.

We would like to know if the behavior persists. If so, could you please confirm if you tried the suggestions we provided in our previous post?

Also, to review further your concerns with the Hardware IDs, could you please provide us with the following information?

1- Were you able to confirm with the computer manufacturer (OEM) that the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX411 is validated and approved for compatibility with your system and discard there is no limitation from their side?

2- Screenshots from where you see the Hardware ID information.

3- The link you are using to download and install the drivers:

4- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
Beginner

I am not ready to mark this thread as solved yet since I am still waiting on the arrival of an AX211 I can test.   Since my OEM is now showing a driver for the AX211, that might be an error or something has changed regarding that particular card.

For now, it appears these CNVio2 Wi-Fi cards need a Chipset that is qualified for Wi-Fi 6e.  It appears only the latest Intel chipsets support this ability and since I have an older one, this may be the reason my card is not recognized or allowed to install.

I will post back if I find anything else and mark the situation solved in about 10 days.

The attachment is from and Intel HM670 spec. page

Intel® HM670 Chipset

ChpSet.jpg

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Saltgrass

Thank you for your response.

Due to the nature of wireless integrations and the wireless regulatory limitations, our recommendation is that you continue working with your OEM to validate all the details about the compatibility of the systems with the wireless cards.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this now from our side. Please feel free to share any feedback at any time. However, if you need any additional information or require additional support, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos