Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Intel Wifi Link 1000 BGN Cannot Connect to Network?

idata
Employee

Hello

I have a Lenovo E420 with an intel wifi link BGN 1000

I am unable to connect to the internet when about 30 or so feet away, but am able to connect when about 10 feet away.

I can see the network when far away, however, Windows tells me it cannot connect when I attempt to.

Occasionally, I am able to connect while far away, however, I cannot access the internet.

When I am close by, I can use the internet normally.

I have attempted updating my drivers.

Is there a solution for this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Brian,

You may want to first try to connect to other access points and see how far you can connect.

Aside from driver of wifi card, please also check if there's firmware update for your AP.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi!

Well, I can see other access points, however, I don't have the password to any of them.

When far away, I can still see the access point (hsusnet)

However, I get an error when trying to connect to it.

When I attempt to troubleshoot using the troubleshooter in windows 7, it first resets my adapter, which does nothing, then tells me to reset my modem, which I have done multiple times.

When I attempt to connect from afar, I get the error in the photo attached. I am not absolutely sure I have the right driver, so if someone could help me find it, it would be helpful. My wireless card is stated above.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Up?

Does anyone see this?

It's a severe issue, I have to sit on the stairs to use my laptop xD

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Brian,

Have you tried changing the Power Management settings on the laptop?

Go to "Control Panel", the go to "Power Options".

Note your notebook may show different power plans for each scenario, select the one you are using and select "Change Plan Setting".

You will see another pop-up window, click on "Change Advanced power settings". A new window will pop-up, scroll down the list and click on "Wireless Adapter Settings", then "Power Saving Mode".

Both "On Battery" and "Plugged In" should be on "Maximum Performance". Save the settings, exit all the Windows and restart your system. This should provide you with a lift in connectivity in some cases, but the best recommendation would be to get in touch with your OEM and escalate your case as it seems like an integration issue.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello

Is there any other way to solve this?

Could the driver be bad?

I now remember that I installed Hotspot Safe Shield (VPN) before the internet stopped going bad.

Could that be part of the reason?

I don't really want to send my laptop into the manufacturer...I'm not sure it's still on warranty.

Also, since the wireless card still technically works, I'm not sure they'll replace it.

0 Kudos