Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel Wifi Link 1000 bgn performing poorly

idata
Employee

I've had a slew of problems with the wifi adapter in my Asus UL50AG, an Intel Wifi Link 1000 bgn, running on Windows 7 64-bit.

I've tried everything I can think of - tweaking the router to ensure it's operating at peak efficiency, upgrading the driver for the wifi card, messing with the advanced settings - and most of the time, I'm lucky if I have any signal at all.

It's not the obvious - I'm sitting only a few feet from the router, and using inSSIDer I've verified that my RSSI is -33dbm, which should be more than enough for the connection to be both fast and stable. I've tried varying the channel it operates on, the type (narrow or wide band, upper or lower control band), to no avail.

To add insult to injury, a much cheaper Lenovo G55 computer is sitting only 2 feet away, and it's connection is MUCH faster and more stable.

Does anyone have any advice? I've tried everything I can think of, with no success. I am running the card with driver version 13.4.0.9, which as far as I can tell is the latest version of the driver.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

I have exactly the same issue with my HP tochsmart tm2 1090 (with intel wifi link 1000 bgn inside). Do you found a solution?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just found this: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm

Could be the problem. I'm having the same problem with my ancient Linksys Wireless-B at home, but the wireless works fine at work with Cisco AP's.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

that was some great info but i have a new dell xps 17 with the Intel 1000BGN card as well and in my advanced list in device manager i do Not have a power management feature to adjust. Please advise. The article has no info for this situation either.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dear Eddie,

I have much the same problem. I received a few days ago my new Lenovo Z560, with an Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN. The above link (http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm) was helpful, though like you, my control panel does not have all those options. I resolved this issue by doing the following (though I'm not entirely sure that this fully solves the problem).

1) Open Control Panel

2) Go to Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings.

3) Select your wireless adapter.

4) In the new window, click Properties.

5) In the new window, select Configure.

6) Select the tab, Advanced.

7) Select Transmit Power.

8) Under the dropdown menu, select Highest. If it's already on Highest, select a different value, and re-select Highest.

Again, I am unsure whether this resolves the problem. I am interested if anyone else finds a solution.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Eddie,

I just got a Lenovo today running an Intel Wifi Link 1000 bgn. I ran your solution and didn't see an increase in speed. I also don't see the options that Intel says to click in their solution. I have my old computer with an Intel Wifi Link 4965AGN right next to it loading videos far faster. That's a 4 year old wifi card in that one.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I had the same situation with my Dell XPS with the Intel 1000 BGN card. It wasn't only a speed issue, but it would regularly fail to connect to my access point. After a reboot it would work for a while then drop the connection again.

Intel's response: update your router's firmware

Router's response: check your wireless adapter settings.

I tried everything in this thread in others (setting a channel, turning off power management, etc.). I was able to fix it in this way (won't work for everyone!).

Retrieve previous laptop from closet: remove Broadcom wifi card. Open new laptop, remove Intel 1000 BGN card. Replace with Broadcom card. My Dell XPS works just fine now.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This Intel WiFi Link 1000 bgn came with my Gateway EC1458U computer that I purchased in February and I have had the same problems that your describe. Forget about updating the drivers through the device manager it reflects the drivers are up to date. Likewise, Gateway and Intel indicated the drivers were current. I purchased this computer because it was the size of a netbook but it was really a small notebook and had 4 gigs of RAM. I got it to work at home and at the office but when I went travelling it was hit or miss in picking up a signal or even recognizing the signal. I resolved the issue (I think) by purchasing drivers from one of the driver upgrade sites. For $29.00 it allowed me to download all my drivers for a year. Since first upgrading the driver in early April the driver number has changed twice. The current driver is dated 5/1/2011 number 14.1.1.3 which I downloaded yesterday. It at least works but the signal is still weak. It will bounce me off my home network if I am twenty-five yards away. I get bounced off any network with less than three bars and it is rare that I get a strong signal with five bars. I am hoping with this latest update these issues are totally resolved.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am having the same problem with my Lenovo Y460P. Every device in my house is getting 60+ Mbps and my Apple idevices are getting 30Mbps+. But my lapton is getting 3 Mbps top!

Temp. Solution:

Change frequency to use B or G. Do not use N.

Reason:

There might be interferance with your network card. Things like microwaves, oven, wireless land lines (2.4 Ghtz)

Drawback:

Although switching to frequency b/g will yeild less interferance, it will lower your connection speed. The lower speed how ever will still be faster than using the N frequency with interferance.

Perm. Solution:

Still looking!

0 Kudos