Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

Intel WifiLink 4965 AGN Driver's DPC Latencies causing audio glitches in Windows 7 X64 (RTM)

idata
Employee

After many tests I can ensure that the wireles adapter Intel WifiLink 4965 AGN is causing high DPC Latencies with an interval of 10 micro-seconds in Windows 7 64 bit (Release to Manufacturer). I have tried the latest drivers for Windows Vista 64 bit (12.4.3.9) and Microsoft's drivers included in Windows 7 with the same results: high DPC Latencies with an interval of 10 micro-seconds and eventual very high DPC Latencies causing audio glitches with a length of up to one second. Is there any specific driver for Windows 7 64 bit (Release to Manufacturer) that solves this issue?? Will there be??

110 Replies
idata
Employee

SERIOUSLY INTEL WTF

it's been 3+ years and STILL NOTHING !!!!

I have myself Intel 5300 AGN wireless card and it's WORKING LIKE SHIT GIVING ME HEADACHE AND HIGH LATENCY DROPS!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/OacFB.png http://i.imgur.com/OacFB.png

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS????

why it's 4294967294 ????

really frustrating...

I'm on Windows 7 x64 SP1 with latest updates installed up to date AND AVERAGE LATENCY IS AROUND 400-500 nanosecs if there is no network activity at all, but if I try to transfer some SHIT OVER THE NETWORK IT DROPS TO 32000 nanosecs !!!! and I have HUGEEEEE LAG in Windows 7

on Windows XP SP3 DOESNT MATTER WHICH DRIVER USED AT ALL NO LATENCY SPIKES AT ALL AND AVERAGE LATENCY IS AROUND ~45 nanosecs.

WE NEED SUPPORT FROM YOU INTEL COMEEEEE ON, FIX IT ASAP!!!

I'm sorry for the strong language used here, but I'm just pissed that it's really not fixed as of yet

Especially considering how large Intel is and how high-profile. I always loved Intel products but it's just a frustration seeing nobody cares about this issue. Lots of users are affected, why don't you guys just look a little bit closer into it (I believe it's not that hard to make a test stand for it)?

If you need any debug info from me, just let me know, I'll post all relevant info here.

Thanks in advance and happy new year and merry christmas!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi all,

I joined this group specifically to post a solution that worked for me.

First off, brief specs:

SAGER NP5973 laptop with an Intel 4965 AGN wireless adapter

Win7 32-bit with 4GB RAM (patched PAE kernel for 4GB memory access)

NVIDIA Quadro FX1600M

I recently experienced a change in CPU behavior --> running at about 10-15% when IDLE. It turned out to be a high latency issue as detected by LatencyMon, which pointed to NDIS.SYS as the problem.

Long story short - I updated ALL hardware drivers, tried all Googled tricks and got NO result. The only thing that had any effect was to disable the AGN adapter --> then the CPU would drop back to "normal (0 to 1% at IDLE).

Solution: I remembered that I recently updated the NVIDIA drivers for my system. I was running Quadro drivers v195.62 and had upgraded to v311.35. I uninstalled the new driver and ran the Standard VGA adapter -> CPU went to normal (0 to 1% at IDLE). I re-installed the new NVIDIA driver (driver ONLY) and CPU went up to 15% at IDLE! I then re-installed the OLDER v195.62 NVIDIA driver and all went back to normal (0 to 1% at IDLE) ! I don't know why but in *my* case, although things pointed at the AGN drivers as being the problem, it was the combination with the new NVIDIA drivers that was truly at fault.

Some additional notes

- I am running the latest Intel drivers (Wireless.v15.3.1)

- my system has a built-in Realtek audio device. I found the best version of the HDAC drivers is R2.42 --> the latest version (R2.70) would cause a hang on install.

Hope this helps someone cause it wasted my whole day

Cheers!

idata
Employee

I was having audio stutters and mouse breaks on Windows 8 32-bits with Intel Wireless 3945, with the following driver versions:

13.4.0.139 -- Lenovo driver, by Intel

13.3.0.137 -- Windows 8 native driver, by MS

13.5.0.2 -- downloaded driver from Intel site

Additionally, I had an "Information" on Computer Management > System Tools > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System, several times per second every 10 or 20 seconds:

The description for Event ID 5010 from source netwlv32 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\NDMP6

\DEVICE\{BFCC4EBF-9E5B-40CB-B1AF-CD8E794D383A}

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

I downloaded ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp38001-38500/sp38437.html ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp38001-38500/sp38437.html (Intel PRO/Wireless Drivers for Microsoft Windows Vista, by HP) which has driver version 11.5.1.8 and the sound no longer stutters.

So it would appear more recent drivers have the stutter version and older ones do not. I did not try version 12.x.x .

Also, you should note two things:

a) You have to unpack the sp38437.exe using your favourite unarchiver -- I used 7-zip -- and manually go to "Device Manager", select proper device, click on "Update driver" and select _manually_ the correct folder, otherwise Windows installs the most recent version it finds.

b) Software packages 14.x.x and 15.x.x do NOT update Intel Wireless 3945 and 4965 drivers. They stopped being updated after 13.x.x driver packages.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello Pedro,

Please note that the Windows* 8 drivers for Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection and the Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN are only provided by Microsoft* through Windows* updates as the products link below indicates.

Which operating systems are supported with Intel wireless products?

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-031641.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-031641.htm

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Joe_Intel wrote:

Please note that the Windows* 8 drivers for Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection and the Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN are only provided by Microsoft* through Windows* updates as the products link below indicates.

Understood. In other words, "if all hell breaks loose on your system don't come back complaining."

That being said, I tried the following drivers:

13.4.0.139 -- Lenovo driver, by Intel

13.3.0.137 -- Windows 8 native driver, by MS

13.5.0.2 -- downloaded driver from Intel site

The one in bold is the one provided by Microsoft Windows 8, which causes mouse freeze and audio stutters every now and then.

So if anyone else in this thread wants to try a non-supported driver which may or may not burn their computer and/or fix the problem, I'm pointing towards the Vista driver 11.5.1.8 , which in my case fixed the problem. 

0 Kudos
SJanz
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I've been having the BSOD issue whenever I try to connect my old Getac B300 laptop to either of the two new Sony Xperia V Android phones I had purchased recently. Before these two, I never had any issues with the two Xperia U's or the much older Xperia Rays, and likewise with the Huawei 4G WiFi modem I run at home.

I've read through some posts here and there, and figured that some common sense would be in order. I've seen it suggested somewhere that the Intel Wireless Wifi Link 4965BGN adapter might be having some issues with 802.11n mode, so I wanted to try to disable it and see what happens:

I haven't had any issues so far.

Shady

0 Kudos