Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Wireless AC-3160 NO WIRELESS N OPTION!!!

GBoy
Beginner

Hello!

I have recently bought an Intel Wireless AC-3160 module from an online store and installed it in my Asus laptop (replacing the Mediatek wireless chip which came with the laptop).

I have Windows 10 and the driver version is 18.12.0.3.

The router is Dlink DIR-636L with 802.11n capabilities.

How can I connect to the router on 802.11n ?!?!

AS MANY PEOPLE POINTED OUT THERE IS NO 802.11N MODE OPTION IN ADVANCED PROPERTIES !!!!!!!!!

So the connection is limited to 30mbps (speedtest.net). Another coleague of mine, with a different laptop has 70mbps connected on the same router in the same room.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Glueboy,

Please try the following:

1 - Set the preferred band to Prefer 2.4GHz band

2 - Set the HT Mode to HT mode for 802.11n compatibility. VHT mode is for 802.11ac compatibility.

3 - Set the 802.11n Channel Width for 2.4 to limited 20MHz. Please understand that 20MHz has smaller dandwidth than 40MHz, but has better penetration capabilities which improves the connection signal.

Furthermore, as additional information, turning off Bluetooth* if there is no need to have it on, would increase your experience positively.The wireless and Bluetooth* combo card share the same bandwidth and the antennas, so by turning off the Bluetooth* function will allow the wireless connection to have the entire usage of bandwidth and the antennas if choosing 2.4GHz band as it also decreases the signal interference since Bluetooth* devices use the same band.

GBoy
Beginner

Those settings (HT Mode set to HT instead of VHT and 802.11n channel set to 20MhZ) actually LOWERS my download speed to 16mbps instead of 30mbps!

So nobody from Intel gives a shit about those drivers for Windows 10 that limit the performance of a Intel chip... Nice!

0 Kudos