Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Wireless-AC 3165 BSOD DPC_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

SPers2
Beginner

Hi, got following setup:

PC: Beelink AP42 with Wireless-AC 3165.

WIFI: TP-Link Archer C7(LEDE firmware) as hidden AP (channel 36) exclusive for an TP-Link RE450, which is running an AP on Channel 1 and 36 using the hidden AP as upstream.

And here is my problem, while the RE450 channel 36 AP is running, Windows 10 is bluescreening within seconds (~5-10) and is even unable to start or finish install of Windows 10 (If I try a fresh install). As soon as the wireless driver is loaded the system freezes for ~20seconds and drops a DPC_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (at Windows 10 install, it does sometimes a system_thread_exception_not_handled in netwtw04.sys). When I disable the RE450 channel 36 AP, Windows runs fine, I do not see any bluescreens anymore, also Windows 10 install works again. I am also able to connect to the hidden network on channel 36, without any crashes freezes or alike. As soon as I re-enable the RE450 channel 36 AP, the Box freezes again and drops instant bluescreens.

Currently I tried driver 19.2.0.1 (suggested by the vendor) and 19.51.2.4 (suggested by Intel Driver Software Assistant).

May there be a driver error?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello SePe,

We understand you're experiencing stop errors when connecting to your network using the TP-Link* RE450 Channel 36 range extender. This issue does not occur when the range extender is disabled.

Usually, testing two different drivers will discard a driver error. However, you can further confirm this by uninstalling your wireless drivers and allowing Windows® 10 to install the latest generic inbox driver.

- Does this also happen if you set your range extender and wireless router to a different channel (meaning not channel 36, but both still need to match)?

- Does your RE450 have the latest firmware available?

- Have you engaged TP-Link in regards to this issue?

- Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility, save and share the resulting report.

- Please share the BSOD crash dump files so that we may take a look at them.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
SPers2
Beginner

- Does this also happen if you set your range extender and wireless router to a different channel (meaning not channel 36, but both still need to match)?

When I change the channel on the router (tried 40, 52, 100, 104), the AC 3165 is not crashing while the RE450 AP is enabled, but it still does not find the RE450 AP, while it finds the Archer C7 hidden AP.

- Does your RE450 have the latest firmware available?

The RE450 and the Archer C7 are running LEDE 1.17.3 as firmware, which is the latest stable firmware.

- Have you engaged TP-Link in regards to this issue? No.

- Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility, save and share the resulting report.

Done.

- Please share the BSOD crash dump files so that we may take a look at them.

Done.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SePe,

We're currently looking into this problem. In the meantime:

- Are you able to connect any other devices to your network using the range extender?

- If you set your Archer C7* to broadcast the SSID, does the issue still happen?

- Your dump logs point towards ntoskrnl.exe, which is the OS kernel. To discard some possible culprits please do the following:

1. Run a test on your RAM to confirm this is not part of the problem. If the test finds no errors, it won't display any information upon rebooting. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff700221.aspx https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff700221.aspx

2. Set your recovery settings to save a Kernel memory dump and reproduce the crash.

1. Right click your start menu icon, select System from the drop down.

2. On the left hand panel, click on Advanced System Settings

3. Under the Advanced tab, locate the Startup and Recovery options and click on Settings

4. Under Write debugging information, change from "Automatic memory dump" to "Kernel memory dump"

5. Reproduce the issue and share this new dump file

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
SPers2
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

- Are you able to connect any other devices to your network using the range extender?

Yes, currently there are a Moto G5+, a RTL8812AU USB dongle, a Moto G4+, an Amazon Fire 7 Tab and a Beelink BT3 Pro (Broadcom Dualband Wifi on this one) connected to the RE450.

RTL8812AU and BT3 Pro are set to 5GHz only, Moto G5+ switches as it wants. No problems yet, running them several month.

- If you set your Archer C7* to broadcast the SSID, does the issue still happen?

Issue is still present. No change in behavior.

1. Run a test on your RAM to confirm this is not part of the problem. If the test finds no errors, it won't display any information upon rebooting.

Done, no errors shown.

2. Set your recovery settings to save a Kernel memory dump and reproduce the crash.

Done. You find 2 Minidumps as attachment.

101217-11140-01.dmp - This happened while Windows 10 is loaded and idle on the desktop.

101217-11234-01.dmp - This one is from the system startup.

After changing to Kernel memory dump, the behavior of the BSOD changed a little bit. Now I dont get an bluescreen and a frozen system right away. After enabling the RE450 5GHz, no freeze starts. Instead Windows 10 cannot find any wifi networks anymore, it tells me "no wireless network found".

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SePe,

Thanks for the reply, we're looking into this and will let you know what we find.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SePe,

Based on the information provided and the odd behavior while trying to obtain your kernel dumps, this seems to be an OS related issue.

You may try our https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27203/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?v=t latest wireless drivers released this week. However, we recommend engaging your computer manufacturer for assistance with this issue.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos