Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Intel Wireless AC 8265 disappears from Device Manager after reboot

TFerr6
Beginner

Hi

I'm having a rather odd problem with the 8265 Wireless card, on an Asus N580VD. The wireless card is available immediately after reboot, but after a few minutes, it disappears from device manager, never to be seen again until the next reboot, with the consequent loss in wireless connectivity.

The event viewer has the following information on the issue:

Origin: Netwtw06

Description: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 : The network adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver.

Description: 5035 - Driver OSC Pending OID watchdog

Description: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly.

This goes on and on several hundred times. I have to reboot to see the wireless card again, but then this whole thing starts over.

The laptop itself doesn't seem to be the culprit, as I have other 2 Asus N580VD laptops with the exact same software configurations among them and only one of them displays the issue.

I have already done the following:

1. Formatted the laptop with a clean installation of windows 10 1803; - error persists
  2. Uninstalled driver and replaced with both windows standard driver and Intel IT driver 20.50.0 - error persists
  3. Disabled power management to wireless card - error persists
  4. Tested all bios versions from Asus website (302, 305, 315); - error persists
  5. Checked that the wireless card is properly attached (physically) to the motherboard; - error persists;
  6. read most, if not all, articles on Intel forum about similar issues, tested all presented solutions (some of them described adove) - error persists

The issue started happening after the latest Windows 10 update 1803, but that may have been a coincidence, because I have the other 2 laptops with the same Windows 10 version 1803 and they're working fine.

Is it possible that the card is faulty in some way? Bluetooth is working just fine, and I understand is the same device that provides both functionalities, right?

I'm at a loss... please help!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello tigcf,

Thanks for posting in our communities. We understand the wireless adapter on your laptop disappears from device manager and connection is lost a few minutes after booting.

If the issue were software or driver related, it should have been fixed after a clean operating system installation. As you mentioned, is quite odd that other systems with exact same specifications are not experiencing similar problems, which might hint to a hardware issue.

However, we would like to check further into this. Please attach the following files to your next reply:

- Intel® System Support Utility report.

1. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 Download the latest Intel® SSU.

2. Select to include "everything."

3. Name and save the report.

- Clean event logs:
  1. Hold Win+R, type eventvwr.msc then press Enter.
  2. Go to Windows Logs > System and Select Clear Log...
  3. Reproduce issue, Get timestamp of when issue occurs.
  4. Save the Event log in evtx format, no filter
  5. Windows Logs > System > Save All Events As > Name
  6. Select "Display information for these languages > English (US)"

If possible, please test rolling back to a previous Windows 10* version (since issue started after latest update) and reset your BIOS to default settings.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
TFerr6
Beginner

Hi Eugenio F.

Thank you for your interest on this, please find attached the log files requested.

I did rolled back to Windows 10 version 1709 the first time it happened, using the "roll back" option on windows, but the problem persisted. That's when I decided to reinstall windows from scratch from a USB stick created with the media tool available on Microsoft website, creating a clean Windows 10 version 1803 installation in the process.

I'm not entirely sure this happened immediately after Windows 10 version 1803 update, the laptop had been on desk job for a few days before the update, so I was using a LAN connection. This problem with the wireless card could have happened previously and gone unnoticed due to that fact. Unfortunately, there are no event viewer logs to check since I wiped the laptop clean.

BIOS was reset to default settings on all BIOS versions tested. I haven't tried a clean install of Windows 10 version 1709 as I need the laptop to be operational for work for a few days straight, but if we can't figure out, that's what I'll eventually try to do when I have enough time on my hands.

Cheers

Tiago

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tiago,

Thanks for your reply.

We noticed Asus* offers an older wireless driver version for your system (20.10.2.2). For testing purposes, please perform a https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html clean installation of the wireless driver found at their site:

- https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-Pro-15-N580VD/HelpDesk_Download/ ASUS VivoBook Pro 15 N580VD*

NOTE: Links to third party sites are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Please let us know the results, or if you have the chance proceed with the installation of Windows 10* version 1709 from scratch.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
TFerr6
Beginner

Hi

Having replaced current drivers with ASUS drivers 20.10.2.2, the problem persists.

Unfortunately I can't try a clean install of Windows 10 1709 version right now, I'll have to try that in a few weeks.

Tiago

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tiago,

Thanks for taking the time to test the OEM drivers. After testing Intel latest drivers, Windows* inbox drivers, Asus* drivers and reinstalling the operating system we can discard a driver issue.

Please update the thread if you ever have the chance to clean install Windows 10* 1709 or https://www.asus.com/us/support/ contact the OEM for hardware repair or replacement options.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos