Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz doesn't work on any channel width higher than 20MHz

Frontear
Beginner

Hello,

This is a fairly new motherboard, the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Max WiFi. Ever since updating to Windows 11, I've noticed an odd issue where the adapter will not connect to my 5GHz band unless I manually set the Channel Width in the advanced adapter settings to 20MHz only. Otherwise, these 4 errors occur:

• [Netwtw08, 5002] Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly.
  • [Netwtw08, 5005] Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz : Has encountered an internal error and has failed.
  • [Netwtw08, 5007] TX/CMD timeout (TfdQueue hanged)
  • [NDIS, 10400] The network interface "Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset. This network interface has reset # time(s) since it was last initialized.

Frontear_0-1643349639021.png

This is where I switched the channel width, and only then will my WiFi connect. I'm not sure if this is a Windows 11 issue, since I'm using the latest drivers, I've also numerously tried to clean install the drivers, with no success. Currently running on Driver Version 22.110.1.1, updated earlier today. I would appreciate some help in identifying the issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JosueO_Intel

Hello Frontear

In this case, could you please confirm if the issue occurs with the driver version 22.80.1.1 for Windows 11*?

Also, it will be worth try testing the system in a different network and check if the issue persists. Please let me know if you are able to test this. 

Also, be sure that the router has the latest firmware installed, you can also try different channel settings on the router to check if the issue stops. 

It is worth mentioning that the channel width is managed by the router, so this could affect the way the adapter works. However, taking into consideration that the issue started after a Windows upgrade, this could also be related to the OS. Please try performing the steps provided and let us know the outcome. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello Frontear,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Have you tried using the drivers provided by the OEM?
  2. Is this the original wireless adapter of the system?
  3. Have you tried different SSIDs?
  4. Did the issue occur on Windows 10*?
  5. Did you perform a clean installation of the OS to upgrade to Windows 11*?
  6. Have you tested different networks?
  7. Does the issue also occur with the 2.4Ghz band?

Also, please download and install the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
Frontear
Beginner
  1. Yes, I tried them a few times in my clean installation attempts with no success.
  2. Yes it is
  3. No I have not, I imagine it wouldn't affect much though
  4. Not from what I can recall
  5. No, this was an upgrade from an existing windows 10 installation
  6. I tested my 2.4GHz band
  7. The issue was not present on the 2.4GHz band

Attached is the report generated by the Intel System Support Utility

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Frontear

Thank you for the information provided, in this case, please check our article "Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity" and let me know if with that configuration the issue persists. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678.html

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
Frontear
Beginner

Attempted the settings, re-ran SSU as well for a new report. Nothing changed, the errors still occurred in Event Viewer.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Frontear

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Frontear

In this case, could you please confirm if the issue occurs with the driver version 22.80.1.1 for Windows 11*?

Also, it will be worth try testing the system in a different network and check if the issue persists. Please let me know if you are able to test this. 

Also, be sure that the router has the latest firmware installed, you can also try different channel settings on the router to check if the issue stops. 

It is worth mentioning that the channel width is managed by the router, so this could affect the way the adapter works. However, taking into consideration that the issue started after a Windows upgrade, this could also be related to the OS. Please try performing the steps provided and let us know the outcome. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
Frontear
Beginner

Hi,

I performed a clean driver installation of 22.80.1.1 and surprisingly, my adapter seems to work on a higher channel width now. I'm not noticing any errors in event viewer, and connection is not only stable, but actually connects which is good. 

It should also be noted that I tested my network adapter on a Linux live instance yesterday, and it was also able to connect through the higher channel widths. I'm not sure if that implies my drivers were installed wrong, or if there is a conflict between them. 

I'm still uncertain why this works, or for how long it will continue to work. I know windows often times will auto update drivers, I'd have to manually rollback in many cases, but will I just need to use an older driver forever?

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Frontear,

Thank you for the information provided, I am glad to hear that everything is working fine. 

It is important to know that driver 22.80.1.1 is the latest driver provided by your motherboard manufacturer. These drivers have been customized and optimized to work specifically with your system in order to avoid issues. It is always recommended to use the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer, in this case, the recommendation is to be checking the motherboard's website to get the latest drivers they provide. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Frontear,

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
Frontear
Beginner

Hello,

Will do, thank you for your assistance!

0 Kudos