Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel Wireless-AC 9260 M.2 on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

amebah
Beginner

Hello, some days ago i bought an M.2 9260NGW 802.11ac WiFi + Bluetooth 5.0 card for my HP Elitedesk 800 G2.

I have two operating systems installed on my PC: Ubuntu 20:04..2 LTS on M.2 SDD hard drive and windows 10 64bit (build 19042) on an old SATA hard drive.
The windows disk I've used so far only to perform firmware updates of the motherboard and peripherals and to perform function checks of the various peripherals.
Through Windows I was able to verify that the new wifi card was working properly, the OS has in fact recognized it and I was able to update the drivers directly through "Intell & drive & support assistant".

With ubuntu, however, I can not use the wifi connection.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm not an experienced Linux/Ubuntu OS user, so my skills in analyzing the problem are limited.

Therefore, I tried to follow the directions in this guide:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/intel-wifi.html

the result was only half satisfactory, since within the ubuntu network manager there is, at least, the Bluetooth interface, while the Wifi interface seems not to be detected.

That's it, I'm stuck, I can't sort it out.
thanks for your attention

P.S.

using "lspci" the wireless-AC 9260 was listed

using "sudo dmesg | grep iwlwifi" the wireless-AC 9260 was detected

0 Kudos
11 Replies
sig230
New Contributor I

Is it installed in a PCIe x1 slot or one of the wider slots?

0 Kudos
amebah
Beginner

The PC is the mini version

there is a specific M.2 PCI slot for WLAN module

you can see here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04830607.pdf page 25

as I mentioned, the peripheral works correctly under windows

0 Kudos
sig230
New Contributor I

I can't tell which type PCIe slot that is from the pictures but I have had an issue with Intel AX200 WiFi cards where they work in a 1x slot but not in a 4x, 8x or 16x slot under Linux but do work in the larger lane slots under windows.

See this thread.

0 Kudos
amebah
Beginner

Uhm... Wonderfull! It's strange the Bluetooth works under linux but the WiFi not I just verified specification on HP website:

M.2 PCIe x4-2230 (WLAN)

0 Kudos
sig230
New Contributor I

Strange is a good word.  Of course both work under Linux in a 1x slot.  Hopefully Intel will come out with a firmware fix soon.

0 Kudos
amebah
Beginner

Any news, good news?

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello amebah

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. Please test the steps from the article:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005511/wireless.html

If the issue persists, let us know to continue with the investigation.

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
amebah
Beginner

Good morning.

I've already used the drivers/firmware on the page you mentioned in the past weeks without success.

My needs have led me to decide to buy another wifi card, specifically, I bought a 8260 socket M.2

this card works correctly with both windows and ubuntu 20.04 LTS

the problem of the 9260 model with linux therefore continues to remain

Thank you for your attention

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.    

Best regards,  

David G.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thanks for the update, please let us know if you'd like to continue troubleshooting because there are some reports that must be provided via email.

Regards,  

David G.  

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,  

David G. 

0 Kudos