Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 - can't see any devices in Bluetooth or WiFi

marses
Beginner

Hello,

I've had troubles with my AC 9260 from the beginning and never got it to work. Initially when I installed it, I couldn't even see it under my devices on Linux for example. Anyway, I want to fix it, so let's start with Windows:

• I can see the card in my Device Manager. Under Network adapters, it is shown as Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz, and under Bluetooth I also have Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R).
  • When I turn on the windows WiFi tool, I don't see any networks. Both my laptop and phone see lots of networks. Same thing with Bluetooth; I click Add Devices, but it doesn't see anything (even though I set my devices to pairing, and my phone/laptop see several).
  • I have updated the drivers to the latest version (22.90.0.5).
  • I tried disabling/enabling.
  • Under Properties/Events, I notice that there are 8 Information events and 2 Error events. The two Error events have EventID 411 (related to "Device not started (Ntwtw08)"; they happened on the day I installed it, and today as I was updating the drivers and trying to make it work again. Example:
    - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9c205a39-1250-487d-abd7-e831c6290539}" /> 
      <EventID>411</EventID> 
      <Version>0</Version> 
      <Level>2</Level> 
      <Task>0</Task> 
      <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
      <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords> 
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-12-11T11:56:10.6521605Z" /> 
      <EventRecordID>816</EventRecordID> 
      <Correlation /> 
      <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="23972" /> 
      <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration</Channel> 
      <Computer>computernameblankedout</Computer> 
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> 
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="DeviceInstanceId">PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2526&SUBSYS_00108086&REV_29\6&3808ef61&0&0028000A</Data> 
      <Data Name="DriverName">oem47.inf</Data> 
      <Data Name="ClassGuid">{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}</Data> 
      <Data Name="ServiceName">Netwtw08</Data> 
      <Data Name="LowerFilters" /> 
      <Data Name="UpperFilters">vwifibus</Data> 
      <Data Name="Problem">0x15</Data> 
      <Data Name="Status">0x0</Data> 
      </EventData>
      </Event>​

As I said, I haven't managed to make the network card work for a year (didn't have time to try really), but I would honestly like to get it done, since there seem to be massive supply shortages on WiFi/Bluetooth USB cards, and it's hard to find any that support Linux.

Once I get it working on Windows, I'll try and see what the problem was on Linux as well.

Please let me know if there are any logs or something I should provide.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

marses, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase it?

Did the Intel® Wireless card ever work fine on this specific machine?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this issue?

The wireless card, did you purchase it separately or did it come installed on the computer?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
marses
Beginner

Hello, I figured out what the issue was, but to answer the questions: it came separately, and the card didn't work from the start; it was also a semi-new computer running Windows 10, and other than installing it I didn't make any more recent hardware changes.

What happened: I bought this 9260 card and just installed it straight into my PC, but the issue was that this card needs antennae; it doesn't just work on its own. I'd assumed that if it required an antenna, it would come with one, and since it didn't I just thought it would work as is. This was my first time dealing with these new M2 cards. Anyway, I saw a youtube video of someone installing it with antennae, so I bought some separate antennae, installed them, and now it works!

Since this card seems to often be sold without antennae, and with no information stating that you should attach some (or what type), I would suggest adding that to the troubleshooting. Probably most users know what they're doing and understand that they need an antenna, but if you sell this to a dummy like me you'll end up with confusion.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello marses, Thank you very much for providing that information.

"I bought some separate antennae, installed them, and now it works!", perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that now it is working properly after installing the antenna.

"I would suggest adding that to the troubleshooting", Just to let you know, for Intel® it is very important all the feedback and recommendations provided by all of our clients. For that reason, I will send your remarks to the proper department for them to be aware of your suggestions and keep improving the customer's experience while using Intel® products.

Thank you very much as well for taking the time to share the solution on this forum, we are sure it will be very helpful for all the peers viewing this thread.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos