Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel Wireless AC 9560 suddenly died

leo95nf
Novice

Hello everyone and Happy Easter.
I have an MSi PC purchased in 2019.
Yesterday suddenly the Intel 9560 wireless network card stopped working without showing any warning; the PC was unable to connect to the internet or operate the bluetooth.

I am now using an external USB wireless card.

In "Device Manager" the Intel network card no longer appears in the appropriate section but it appears as a generic "Network Controller" in the "Other devices" section. There is a yellow triangle and an Error 28 appears in the details.

The Bluethoot is instead in its section with a yellow triangle; Error 10 "STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE".

I've tried using the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant program; after downloading and installing the drivers nothing works anyway.
I'll copy the report

Status (Status) Error
Device ID PCI \ VEN_8086 & DEV_9DF0 & SUBSYS_00008086 & REV_30 \ 3 & 11583659 & 1 & A3

I tried to reset Windows to factory conditions but nothing works. Do you have any ideas or do I need to replace the card?

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Leo95nf

The first ting would be to determine if the PC or laptop is still under warranty. If so, I would contact the local MSI support and run this past them.

Assuming you are not going the warranty route, there are a few things to ask. Do you know if there was an MSI BIOS or firmware update recently applied? Since you already went through putting the OS Back to the initial state, I believe it unlikely but not impossible you have a driver issue. Have you gone into the PC/laptop BIOS to see what it reports on hardware? Have you tried having BIOS load default settings, in case something got corrupted in BIOS?

0 Kudos
leo95nf
Novice

Hello and thank you for your message.

No, my PC is out of warranty.

How can I access my BIOS?

I'm pretty sure it's not up to date since Intel Drivers Tools shows me a 2018 version and the MSI official website a 2019 version. I'm scared to upgrade because I need the PC to write my final thesis and I can't damage it...

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Leo95nf,

Considering the need to keep the PC functional so you can finish your thesis, I would NOT recommend doing anything that might make the PC unstable, or worse, not able to start. If you are comfortable changing the adapter yourself, you can go that route. But for the time being, I would say just use a USB wireless and worry about the malfunctioning adapter later. I and several others on the forum can make suggestions for a USB wireless if you need it.

Please be sure to keep copies of your thesis saved on some type of cloud service. If you are not using one, there are many that offer limited storage for free. Again, I and others can recommend solutions for cloud storage if you need it. I personally remember helping a student that had her entire thesis on a single floppy disk, and the thing got corrupted. She had no backups at all. Luckily we were able to correct the floppy so it could be read, but parts of the file were damaged and she had work ahead of herself to get it all sorted. Another instance the file couldn't be recovered but the student had a hard copy. The entire thing had to be scanned to get a useable file. Oh how the times have changed!! Cloud saves certainly do provide a sense of safety.

0 Kudos
leo95nf
Novice

Thank you very much for your understanding and for your kindness.

Do you think it is easy to replace the build-in wireless adapter? Could I do it by myself? Obviously after I have finished my final thesis. I use the cloud services provided by my university to save my file. Then I enhance it on LaTeX and for that reason I really need my PC.

I am now using two USB wireless network cards bought on Amazon for 20 euros. One has a high-gain antenna, but it's a little bit unwieldy so when I use my laptop on the sofa I put the smaller one. I don't know if I can post the link for you to check them out. However I noticed that they are much more reliable than the card installed on the PC ... maybe it was already defective?

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Leo95nf,

If the laptop has better wireless performance with the USB adapters versus the built-in adapter, it might well be likely the built-in adapter was not working properly from the beginning. Just because something turns on, or is detected in the hardware and OS, does not mean there isn't something wrong.

You can look on YouTube for videos on servicing your laptop and decide for yourself if this is a task you want to tackle. You might want to have a PC shop do the part exchange for you, or even have a friend that is hardware knowledgable do the job. You can also approach the IT department at your University and see if they can recommend someone. Often, technicians will take on side jobs and not charge a lot of money. Until then, I think better to stay with the USB adapters until you are done with your thesis, and can afford to be without the laptop for a day or two.

Best of luck and good wishes finishing your thesis.

leo95nf
Novice

Thank you very much for your support, I will keep you updated!

0 Kudos
leo95nf
Novice

Hi, sorry if I still write on this topic but the USB wireless-card I bought is not very reliable and I would like to know your suggestions. Thank you.

I have WiFi-6 5Ghz router.

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Hi Leo95nf,

If you look on Newegg for wireless adapters you can narrow the results to USB, and you should see several options. Look at the bandwidth they offer, and I would recommend getting at least 1200. I can tell you I have an Asus USB  AC-68 that works like gangbusters. I have a PC parked in the basement of my house connected via that Asus wireless adapter, and it has a very good wireless AC connection to my router that is on the main living floor. The only caveat with the AC-68 is the 5 GHz control channel has to be in the lower range. But you may find that with other adapters.

leo95nf
Novice
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Unfortunately, there is no replacement for the Wireless-AC 9560 card - other than another Wireless-AC 9560 card. This card requires a motherboard with CNVIO support and non-CNVIO cards cannot be used in M.2 connectors that support CNVIO.

With this router, what you really want to use is an AX200 (WiFi 6) or AX210 (WiFi 6E) card. For Desktop systems, you can get PCIe adapter cards for US$20 that allow these modules to be used in PCIe x1 slots on the motherboard. For Mobile systems, however, you are stuck looking at USB solutions.

Sorry,

...S