Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel® Wireless-N 7260 - slows

SGowr
Novice

Hi,

I have a problem with Intel Wireless-N 7260. The card works just fine, but after a few minutes transfer slows down to about 4Mb/s (802.11n -> 802.11b?).

I tried with all drivers and always have the same problem (now I have ,16.6.0.8). Sometimes the card loses connection and I must reset it.

Windows 7 64bit Professional on Lenovo Z510

Sorry for my english.

301 Replies
ASved1
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I'm working now under Linux (openSUSE 13.1 x64).

WLAN-performance under Kernel 3.13.1 is very good, but bluetooth still breaks down.

I have discovered something interesting:

TCP-Protokol

Client-side:

Packet size 1k bytes: 8046.17 KByte/s Tx, 15.68 MByte/s Rx.

Packet size 2k bytes: 9098.67 KByte/s Tx, 13.89 MByte/s Rx.

Packet size 4k bytes: 8482.67 KByte/s Tx, 15.88 MByte/s Rx.

Packet size 8k bytes: 9538.67 KByte/s Tx, 15.35 MByte/s Rx.

Packet size 16k bytes: 8080.00 KByte/s Tx, 15.63 MByte/s Rx.

Packet size 32k bytes: 8558.11 KByte/s Tx, 16.40 MByte/s Rx.

Server-side:

Receiving from client, packet size 1k ... 8048.95 KByte/s

Sending to client, packet size 1k ... 15.72 MByte/s

Receiving from client, packet size 2k ... 9093.08 KByte/s

Sending to client, packet size 2k ... 13.92 MByte/s

Receiving from client, packet size 4k ... 8479.19 KByte/s

Sending to client, packet size 4k ... 15.92 MByte/s

Receiving from client, packet size 8k ... 9516.77 KByte/s

Sending to client, packet size 8k ... 15.41 MByte/s

Receiving from client, packet size 16k ... 8077.41 KByte/s

Sending to client, packet size 16k ... 15.67 MByte/s

Receiving from client, packet size 32k ... 8550.92 KByte/s

Sending to client, packet size 32k ... 16.43 MByte/s

UDP-protokol:

On the recieved value there is a loss rate in the brackets.

Client-side:

Packet size 1k bytes: 10.52 MByte/s (0%) Tx, 11.45 MByte/s (86%) Rx.

Packet size 2k bytes: 12.34 MByte/s (0%) Tx, 10.81 MByte/s (87%) Rx.

Packet size 4k bytes: 12.28 MByte/s (0%) Tx, 13.56 MByte/s (86%) Rx.

Packet size 8k bytes: 12.21 MByte/s (0%) Tx, 12.35 MByte/s (87%) Rx.

Packet size 16k bytes: 13.02 MByte/s (0%) Tx, 9391.48 KByte/s (91%) Rx.

Packet size 32k bytes: 12.56 MByte/s (0%) Tx, 4948.46 KByte/s (95%) Rx.

Server-side:

Receiving from client, packet size 1k ... 10.50 MByte/s

Sending to client, packet size 1k ... 90.03 MByte/s

Receiving from client, packet size 2k ... 12.33 MByte/s

Sending to client, packet size 2k ... 94.14 MByte/s

Receiving from client, packet size 4k ... 12.27 MByte/s

Sending to client, packet size 4k ... 101.41 MByte/s

Receiving from client, packet size 8k ... 12.20 MByte/s

Sending to client, packet size 8k ... 101.28 MByte/s

Receiving from client, packet size 16k ... 13.00 MByte/s

Sending to client, packet size 16k ... 103.06 MByte/s

Receiving from client, packet size 32k ... 12.54 MByte/s

Sending to client, packet size 32k ... 103.71 MByte/s

See these strange values by sending packets to client and the loss rate at the client side.

I guess it could be a clue...

My network runs now on channel 1 in EU, 40MHz on 802.11n.

I hope I hear something from Intel in the next days.

0 Kudos
RChor1
Beginner

everything is ok once I installed the Dell release of N 7260 version 16.8.0.6, thanks to theveterans for pointing this out her http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails?driverId=5VYHN&fileId=3334123740 Driver Details | Dell US

it installed perfectly on my Vaio, I don't know why Intel hasn't updated the version on this website!

0 Kudos
DSlim
Beginner

I my Lenovo Z510 everything is ok when i install driver 16.5.1.2 and new driver from intel site to bluetooth.

0 Kudos
RSari1
Beginner

I'm also having the same problem with my wifes Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. It looks like it's somewhat more stable when connected to the NetGear router, but when we connect to the main house router which is an Asus RT-AC66u speed drops from around 40MB/s down as low as 1 or even worse pretty quickly. Other devices such as my iPad AIR have no problem maintaining 40MB/s so I'm pretty sure it's not the router itself. Also when I plug her Lenovo into a USB 3 docking station with wired e-thernet she get's full bandwidth so I know it's not firewall or other software problems.

According to the tool on the site I have the latest drivers even though the version numbers aren't matching, so I'd love to solve this problem.

0 Kudos
SGowr
Novice

darekslim I have the same problem with 16.5.1.2

0 Kudos
PMans
New Contributor I

Since Intel haven't previously responded to people who've directly asked on this forum what they are doing about the problem, and the only "help" offered is the suggestion to disable the power saving modes, and Intel haven't posted anything new about it, I think we're basically at a dead end, which makes me think it's a hardware design issue that can't be worked round.

This morning I've lost connectivity half a dozen times, unusually frequent, last night not at all, so I am inclined to think it's triggered by congestion or other error, and then locking up the hardware and requiring a reset.

0 Kudos
DSlim
Beginner

Yes in 16.1.5.2 problem unfortunately is still there but i have install 16.6.0.8 and on my router change chanel from auto to manulal and is ok but I d'not know how long. Intel does not do anything in this case !!! Anyone tested the 16.8 from dell site?

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

I have it on my laptop and it fixes the slowing down to 11 Mbps for me. Speed fluctuates occasionally though but at least it does not get stuck at 1 - 12 Mbps.

0 Kudos
THofs
Beginner

Hey there, I'm wondering if anyone has managed to resolve this problem. I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series 7537. Since I purchased it back in October I have been having problems with the wifi dropping off. What happens is I suddenly am unable to load webpages, the reception of my wifi signal remains strong, however, says that I have no internet access. I run the trouble shooter, it says "default gateway not available", fixes it, then it does it again. Sometimes the connection lasts for a few minutes, sometimes hours, however always winds up disconnecting.

I have been in communication with Dell for months about this problem. They don't have a clue what is causing it. I have upgraded to 8.1, the wifi card and antenna have been replaced, I have installed windows, done all the updates, tried to use every driver I can find for this wifi card (wireless n 7260). None of it has resolved the problem.

My router is a centurylink actiontek A1000. I have been in contact with them, everything is up to date on there and working fine. I also have a desktop, ps3, ipod, and other people in the house with laptops that have no problems with this connection. This is the only computer in the house that has Windows 8.

Also, to be noted, I made a bootdrive of Fedora's OS, and ran the computer from the thumbdrive. At that point I didn't have any problems with the wifi connection dropping off.

I am at the point where Dell would like me to send the computer in for them to troubleshoot. However, given my interactions with them thus far, I have no faith that they will be able to resolve this problem. Also, since I purchased this laptop at Bestbuy, they will not offer a refund. I am really hoping that someone has figured this problem out so that I can move on. Or is this going to be a matter of just purchasing a different wifi card and saying the hell with intel and dell all together?

Any help is appreciated.

Quent

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

16.8.0.6 drivers + windows updates and other drivers (chipset, Management Engine Interface, smart connect, etc.) fixed it for me. I haven't had this problem for more than 2 months now. There's 16.10.0 drivers for 7260N already, but you have to use a search engine for that. Also, if you have McAfee, remove it as it can be a result of sporadic WiFi slow down.

THofs
Beginner

So far, this seems to have worked. Four months and Dell couldn't figure this out. Thanks for the help, I will report back if it turns out the problem reoccurs.

Quent

0 Kudos
志张5
Beginner

Thanks for your post. Dell 16.8.0.6 seems worked well with my yoga s1 + ac 7260 + win 8.1 64bit. I have no problem for more than 24 hours now.

0 Kudos
DSlim
Beginner

I have problem on Windows 7 64bit? What then ? Why Intel does not do anything HELO???? Only helps reduce the speed of the router to b,g. In "n" standard did not work.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos
llobr
Beginner

Hi Joe,

I've tested. I can't say about disconnection issues. Before i used 16.5.1.2 and it was ok.

Via speedtest.net i've got speed only 18mbps download and 20 mbps upload. However, on same server my Ipad shows 30 mbps/36 mbps. It iseems that your driver not working at its best

0 Kudos
llobr
Beginner

I have new Lenovo T440s , win 7 64bit.

0 Kudos
llobr
Beginner

Resolved issue. I had HT mode turned off. Now when i turn on HT mode, everything is brilliant.

0 Kudos
DSlim
Beginner

Helo. I test new driver 16.10 from intel site in my Windows 7 on Lenovo Z510 and problem is still this same. Wifi dosen't work on standrd n 150Mbps - slowing down to 11 Mbps, in slowest b,g work ok and is 54 MBPS Send my notebook to warranty?

0 Kudos
SGowr
Novice

After a few days of testing new drivers...:

Something is wrong with a new drivers. Issue is partly solved - I don't have problem with slowing down transfer after a few minutes, but always my transfer is about 10Mbps slower than should be (30 instead of 40). Connection is also unstable.

0 Kudos
THofs
Beginner

Jeo_intell

I did all updates on Windows 8 and using that driver the connection seemed to work. I had it drop my wifi connection twice, both time I went to run the troubleshooter and it wound up freezing my computer.

I upgraded to windows 8.1 and upgraded the driver, I have not had any disconnection issues, however, it seems to be significantly slower than it should be and also seems to have less range. I use a lot of hotspots at work and am currently unable to pick up wifi signals I have previously had no problems with.

0 Kudos
BRak
Beginner

I still see issues with the 16.10.0.5 driver. Disconnects after about half an hour, unless 'HT mode' is disabled. Disabling HT mode results in fairly slow speeds, so that's not really a good solution.

I'm using:

Thinkpad X1 Carbon

Windows 8.1

Meraki MR 12 (doing 802.11n on 2.4ghz, no 5ghz support)

0 Kudos