Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5100 Windows 7 won't connect to WPA2 network

idata
Employee

I have an Acer Aspire 8730 with Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5100, and it won't connect to my WPA2-encrypted wireless network. That network only recently switched to WPA2, and everything worked fine before that. I have no problems connecting to the network using the Ubuntu partition on the same computer, so this is probably a Windows/Windows driver problem. I already updated to the latest driver, but it didn't help.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
vt5
New Contributor I

Hi blacktrance, make sure your network doesn't have access restriction set on the WPA2 network, sometimes, network admin allow access only based on mac address defined in the router, if there's no security blocking your access, try changing your connection mode to either B or G only and try it out.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Tried both, didn't help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Check out my post, it should help. But let me know if it doesn't.

/thread/23351?tstart=0 http://communities.intel.com/thread/23351?tstart=0

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Try switching the security setting from WPA2 to WPA-Personal. I also know that some devices have configuration issues when it comes to certain network security configurations.

For instance, Nintendo's DS lite does not support WPA-Personal configured networks. Personally I never tried setting my network to use the WPA2 encryption and I've had my network using the WPA-Personal encryption for years without having anyone breach/hack (unless they really wanted to of course) through it.

So just try setting it to WPA-Personal and follow the steps again. Then let us know how it went.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I don't have access to the network security settings, so I can't change them.

But since I have no trouble connecting to WPA2 in Linux, the hardware supports it and so I should be able to do it in Windows.

Also, there's a strange problem - Windows thinks the security setting should be WPA and refuses to even try to connect to the network when it's told the security setting is WPA2. (But other computers on the network have no trouble recognizing it as WPA2 and connecting to it.) So I can only try to connect with WPA, and it doesn't work.

0 Kudos
RKell3
New Contributor I

Did you try...

Start, control panel, network and sharing center. Click on your connection, then click on wireless poroperties, security. There is a dropdown menu there to change it to different types of security.

Rick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, and when I set the security settings to WPA2 it says my security settings don't match the settings for the network, so it doesn't even try to connect. When I have it set to WPA, it tries to connect but fails.

0 Kudos
RKell3
New Contributor I

This is the resaon I usually recommend that the person make a new SSID, to make connecting easier. I also recommend using these http://en.community.dell.com/wikis/networking_internet_wireless/recommended-wireless-router-settings.aspx Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11.

Rick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Not much I can do about that. My network administrator will not create a new SSID.

0 Kudos
RKell3
New Contributor I

Then have your network administrator look at the computer. That's what they're there for, to make sure you're connected.

Rick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Blacktrance,

This seems like a restriction setup by your network administrator within Windows* 7, since you can connect successfully using Linux*.

The best suggestion would be to contact your system administrator to check if that would be a restriction (in purpose to avoid connecting anywhere but at work) and to avoid system changes.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
BJone16
Beginner

I have the same problen with a Dell Lattitude E5500 withthe 5100 AGN. Did you ever get a resolution to this?

I have tride changing the drivers. I have installed and removed all the drivers for my machine from Dell, and have installed the drivers from Intel for the 5100 AGN. All ofthem connect momentarily to the Router and then drop off. THe Diagnoses sas it did not recieve an address. I have connected a Netgear WDNA3100 USB wifi addapter to the laptop and installed the drivers for it. As soon as I typed in the security code and clicked ok using the Netgear adapter connected. This leads me to belive that the drivers for the 5100 have a code issue, Perhapse a timing issue in recieving the DHCP.

I have searched the web on a solution to this problem, but have found no answers.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello Puluke, please try with latest driver linked below, latest router's firmware and operating system's service pack. You may also want to delete the driver from device manager before updating.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23045 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23045

0 Kudos