Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7439 Discussions

Intel centrino wireless-n 2230 keeps dropping connection.

idata
Employee

Hi I've been looking through some of the threads but i cant really find an answer to my issue.

I recently got my self a Dell Inspiron 17R SE and it comes with the Intel Centrino wireless-n 2230.

I cant really do much stuff on the internet or play online games as the internet keeps dropping out.

I have updated the driver and still nothing. I really don't know what else to do any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

some more information. I know its not the internet as my family can use there laptops/Games consoles without any internet issues.

256 Replies
SMhet
Beginner

Hey hi!

can you please tell me in detail how to uninstall all the intel proset software not keeping any settings?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
BYeun1
Novice

Thank you so much!

This was the best fix I found in this forum. Setting it to not use N and use G instead makes it stable, although I probably can't get the same speeds as before. I guess that the N part of this adapter is not very good. I doubt I'll be needing all that speed since I could never reach the peak of 54 mbps before with N.

joe_intel, I think you should try suggesting people using this adapter to use G if it is possible. It seems a lot more stable, although I don't know if people will need that huge 300 mbps.

Edit: Intel should maybe stop making these wireless adapters. A lot of people seem to be having problems with it and it also seems like a hassle to deal

0 Kudos
CLice1
Beginner

Nimung, how exactly did you configure this? Can you explain it, please?

0 Kudos
grive3
Beginner

How can this be posible? i have the same issue... almost one year later Intel cant find a solution for this. i expected more from this company. the only anwer are more shitty updates that doesnt work.

0 Kudos
jbb
Novice

HP Envy 17I have tried everything mentioned here, downloaded latest drivers, reverted back to old drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled and stil getting the connectivity issues.

Every device in my home has no issue, why isn-t Intel fixing this issue, this is not an isolated case. The N2230 card driver or card is junk and Intel need to resolve this issue.

How can they ignore all the comments and feedback people have posted on here.

0 Kudos
HT1
Novice

For anyone with a Student MSDN account Win8.1 fixes the problems.

This pretty much meabs that Either this is a serious Win8/Win7 problem or it means some updates are interfering

idata
Employee

It's possible that I've heard a particular driver resolves this issue for "this card only", so Microsoft might be using that driver? However, for the rest of us with other cards, the issue IS NOT resolved with Win8.1. I'm on it, using the 7260 card, and same issues. However, the "default" driver in 8.1 is certainly better, if I tweak the Roaming, but, it's certainly not fixed.

Just clarifying....

0 Kudos
BPina
Beginner

What about windows 7 users? My work computer uses Windows 7 and I'm not allowed to upgrade to Windows 8. Will a solution be released for Windows 7? Having to upgrade your entire OS just because of a faulty driver should not be necessary.

0 Kudos
SMhet
Beginner

I have updated the driver to the latest version but it still shows the version as 15.10.3.2 and the problem still persists. Let alone wifi but its not even working on the USB broadband. Connection drops every 10 min or so. Intel guys please fix the problem. It is so damn frustrating! Whats the intel's credibility? Can't they fix just a small connection problem? Loads of people suffering because of that. Its high time for you guys to act upon the problem and bring about some rock solid solution on it.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hologram, we also have Windows* 7 drivers here: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm Intel� PROSet/Wireless Software; Intel� PROSet/ Wireless Software Downloads

SBM0505, the driver version you have is expected for Windows* 8. Please check this article:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034315.htm Intel� Wi-Fi Products; Intel� PROSet Wireless Software driver versions by Operating System

And what do you mean by:

"Let alone wifi but its not even working on the USB broadband."

Is this an external USB wireless adapter?

To all of you, please bear in mind that this issue with apparent similar symptoms may not have the same cause for all scenarios, see kokorugs message here: /message/207306# 207306 https://communities.intel.com/message/207306# 207306

0 Kudos
VMila
Beginner

Hello,

I have found a solution fix (look lower)

Property

Value

802.11n Channel Width for band 2.4

Auto

802.11n Mode

Enabled

Ad Hoc Channel 802.11b/g

Ad Hoc QoS Mode

WMM Enabled

Bluetooth(R) AMP

Enabled

Fat Channel Intolerant

Disabled

Mixed Mode Protection

RTS/CTS Enabled

Roaming Aggressiveness

5. Max / Highest

Transmit Power

5. Highest

Wake on Magic Packet

Disabled

Wake on Pattern Match

Disabled

Wireless Mode

2. 802.11g

aggressiveness of homelessness: 3. average

Disactivated ARP WoWLAN: On

Incompatible with 40 MHz channels: Off

Regeneration GTK keys to WoWLAN: Off

Ensures disconnection WoWLAN: Off

Wake on</sp...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hmmmm..... Interesting!!!

On my Dual-Band Wireless-AC 7260 card I followed your settings as they apply up to the "Wireless Mode" setting, and you're entirely right. Though I think I left the "Wake on Pattern Match" as Enabled.

I went an entire hour without a single disconnect. It did ultimately disconnect when I layed down for a few minutes, came back and it was disconnected (had to then troubleshoot entire service to re-enable the connection), but not the entire time I was browsing, which normally would occur at least 6 times in an hour.

Further, in an hour I would get maybe 200 or so "Page cannot be displayed" errors, and I would have to refresh the page to make it show. I only got ONE the entire hour, which simply could have been the browser or internet, well within common browser functioning.

Like I mentioned, I didn't do many of the others, namely your last grouping, and some settings don't apply to my card. Also, on my router I'm set to use AES security.

Further, I changed the "9" to "6" in mine, because I was thinking that's related to the wireless channel/freq set in your router, mines set to 6, and I also put the "Roaming" on lowest just to see. Also, I discovered that when I re-enabled the "Wait on Magic Packet" setting, I immediately starting having connection problems again.

I think a lot of your settings above may not be necessary, but I think you have really helped us here.

Oh, I also am using the 8.1 default driver 16.0.0.62 still, I haven't yet tried the 8.1 in your link. I will though soon here....

THANKS SO MUCH..... Finally something that is more or less working!!!!!

0 Kudos
VMila
Beginner

I have completely solved the problem.

But you must use WPA Personal TKIP.

let all notified as above except for roaming aggressiveness setting, put on 5.

Then do the following:

go to Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network and Sharing Center, left click on Change adapter settings.

There you should see an Wi-Fi, right click on it click properties, look on the right there is a bar for you to get down to the bottom, there you will see Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).

Choose the properties you will see the button (bottom right) click on it, then look down you will see the Advanced ... button, click on the top right there WINS click, uncheck: Enable LMHOSTS lookup.

In Parameters/paramètres NetBios must tick: Disable NetBIOS over TCP / IP, confirm by clicking OK.

if you still have disconnections try this: go to the command prompt to run the administrator then copy these two lines of command netsh wlan stop hostednetwork

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = disallow, restart the computer.

If it still does not go to Control Panel ==> System and Security ==> Administrative Tools ==> Services. Search and double click: Automatic configuration of devices connected to the network. Once above click Disabled in the Startup type.

also see if: Network Connections in Startup type, automatic, otherwise do as the previous procedure and put Connections networks automatically.

double-click Network Connections and startup type switch: Automatic.

Let me know the result.

Victor

0 Kudos
FFLHP
Beginner

Hi Victor and all repliers

Thanks for all suggestions posted, I´ve tried most of them. I have a Z400 with 2230N and this issue was driving me nuts for 3 months already.

I use the notebook in several locations and only very few have this disconnection issues and unfortunately one of them was my office.

Then I noticed the last config at router was wireless channel = Auto and now I fixed it into a single channel (11) which was the same as Ad Hoc Channel 802.11b/g (I don´t know if this has some relation though). Then the connection stabilized for now. Let´s see.

Regards,

Fabio

0 Kudos
VMila
Beginner

Hi Fabio

This gives what? always disconnection problems?

Regards

Victor

0 Kudos
FFLHP
Beginner

Now connection is stable. So I woudl suggest to also check at router side as well to find a more stable wireless setup since 2230 is not as reliable as it should be.

R,

FLHP

0 Kudos
JMcCa11
Beginner

Hi joe-intel - I have read through the couple of hundred posts related to this and note that there appears to be no workable solution from Intel at all? The only solution appears to be to replace the intel wifi card OR purchase a USB wifi dongle. Is that still the case?

If so, are intel replacing the faulty cards or providing some other solution? I like many on this post rely on my laptop for work and cannot waste time constantly troubleshooting and reconnecting.

Please advise what your solution is and how I go about resolving it ASAP. I am in Brisbane, Australia and have recently purchased a Fujitsu DTS UltraPC II Plus which unfortunately has one of intels problematic wifi cards.

Thanks

Julian

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We continue working on fixes to the issues that have not been solved yet.

0 Kudos
JMcCa11
Beginner

Hi - after this period of time, you won't be able to fix it and even if you do, the delay is unacceptable.

So as per my original response, the only solution appears to be to replace the intel wifi card OR purchase a USB wifi dongle.

Please advise - are intel replacing the faulty cards or providing some other solution? Saying you are still working on fixes after how many years is not a solution.

In Australia, it is illegal to sell a product not fit for purpose. Clearly a laptop that cannot maintain a stable wifi signal is not fit for purpose. I see the only fair solution to be for intel to pay to replace the faulty item with one that works or to reimburse users for purchasing a non intel device.

Please advise.

Julian

0 Kudos
LPerr3
Beginner

Jasac - Considering moving to the Land Down Under JUST because of this!

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

For those who were not able to fix the issue with the latest drivers, we are looking for volunteers willing to assist testing and debugging drivers. The people who would like to help with this task must be using our latest driver (15.10.3.2 for Windows* 8) and still have connection drops. Please note the following considerations:

• Be a technical savvy person in wireless networking.
  • Be willing to install/uninstall drivers and provide feedback.
  • Have software skills. If possible, knowledgeable in software debugging.
  • If possible within the United States (Portland, Oregon is a plus).

In order to participate please send me a private message.

0 Kudos