Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel driver causing spontaneous system reboots

jrostsr
Beginner

Ever since I updated my intel driver a few weeks ago I started experiencing spontaneous reboots at  least once a day.  I've installed a software to examine the crash dump files and it generates suggested action. The following is information regarding the system and the crash dump info:

On Wed 3/17/2021 8:55:37 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: netwtw08.sys (0xFFFFF80647FDA8FE)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x14, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80647FDA8FE)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\netwtw08.sys
product: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Adapter
company: Intel Corporation
description: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: netwtw08.sys (Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver, Intel Corporation).
Google query: netwtw08.sys Intel Corporation DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Wed 3/17/2021 8:55:37 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031721-8437-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: netwtw08.sys (0xFFFFF80647FDA8FE)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x14, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80647FDA8FE)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\netwtw08.sys
product: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Adapter
company: Intel Corporation
description: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: netwtw08.sys (Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver, Intel Corporation).
Google query: netwtw08.sys Intel Corporation DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The following is basic info about my system:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 39 °C
Matisse 7nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1799MHz (18-22-22-42)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) (AM4) 39 °C
Graphics
GNV34DBE (3440x1440@60Hz)
8176MB ATI AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (MSI)
Storage
465GB Sabrent Rocket 4.0 500GB (Unknown (SSD))
1863GB Hitachi HUA723020ALA641 (SATA ) 37 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

Network
You are connected to the internet
Connected through Intel Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz
IP Address 192.168.0.104
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway server 192.168.0.1
Preferred DNS server 192.168.0.1
DHCP Enabled
DHCP server 192.168.0.1
External IP Address 67.182.248.80
Adapter Type IEEE 802.11 wireless
NetBIOS over TCP/IP Enabled via DHCP
NETBIOS Node Type Hybrid node
Link Speed 2.3 KBps
Computer Name
NetBIOS Name DESKTOP-CF7LNLU
DNS Name DESKTOP-CF7LNLU
Membership Part of workgroup
Workgroup WORKGROUP
Remote Desktop
Disabled
Console
State Active
Domain DESKTOP-CF7LNLU
WinInet Info
LAN Connection
Local system uses a local area network to connect to the Internet
Local system has RAS to connect to the Internet
Wi-Fi Info
Using native Wi-Fi API version 2
Available access points count 22
Wi-Fi ()\

Please help me identify the cause of these crash dumps and work through a solution.

By the way, the crash dump info was generated by a software application called "WhoCrashed."

John Rost Sr

jrostsr@gmail.com

385-216-5804  Talk or Text

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Jrostsr,

I can try to assist. There is some information needed. Is this a store assembled PC that was ordered from a PC reseller, or a home assembled PC?

Many times, CPU and memory speeds and timings can cause these issues. Have you or the store done any overclocking?

Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility. Save the scan and then attach the saved scan as a file. The SSU can be found here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

0 Kudos
jrostsr
Beginner

I purchased the parts for this PC through Amazon and built it myself about a year ago. I'm not an IT person , rather a certified electronics technician. The system has never been overclocked, and since it was built and configured it has run trouble free for the past year. I "did" observe that I was experiencing the wifi dropping out every day or two for a couple weeks recently and I updated the network interface driver (intel) in attempt to resolve the wifi problem. The wifi problem of dropping out every day or two completely resolved since, however it was just after updating the network driver over the past couple weeks the new problem with spontaneous reboots began. So for just the past two weeks approximately I've been plagued with these spontaneous reboots.

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Jrostsr,

From the SSU results it appears your BIOS is several revisions older than the current BIOS, if I am looking at the correct motherboard. The board I checked is the "TUF GAMING X570-PLUS" as recorded by the SSU. I know the school of thought is to not update BIOS once a system is built, unless there is trouble. In this case you are having trouble with an on-board device. It may well resolve your crashes. Another thing I notice is ASUS has their own driver for the wireless. It would be good to completely remove the current network drivers installed and use the drivers provided by ASUS. The link I used to see drivers and BIOS updates is here: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS-WI-FI/HelpDesk_Download/

I know you wrote you were having Wi-Fi disconnects. I see from the SSU report that you are using 2.4 GHz wireless. There may be a number of things causing interference or hampering your connection stability. Once you get the motherboard stable and eliminate the crashes then we can work to resolve the wireless disconnects.

0 Kudos
jrostsr
Beginner

Thank you for your prompt assistance. I will take you direction and work with the information provided to resolve the problem. It makes sense, so I am encouraged and will let you know how it goes.

Sincerely,

John Rost Sr

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello jrostsr,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

As per our procedures I’m sharing your answer here in the forum since we got it outside of the community, please make sure you post any future outcome here in the thread, so the support can continue between Intel and the forum peers:

Well, I followed your direction and updated the bios. The update seemed to go smoothly clear through till it was time to reboot. I performed it but in the end, it just kept cycling back to the bios, never returning to the operating system. I tried advice online. Power cycling. Moved nvme boot drive to another position on MB. Hell. That didn't do it so I swapped ram around, and then I even re-seated the CPU and the graphics card. None of that worked so I had a thumb drive with the operating system on it. So I was all night installing updates and drivers and re-installing the software. I'm currently downloading to install my larger file. I'm at 135 Gb's of 150 flight simulator program. Wish me luck. I'll let you know how it's behaving in a few days though I'm pretty sure it will be ok now.

@Khun_Doug

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Jrostsr,

Those BIOS updates are definitely not designed to be so painful. I would let the manufacturer know about the trouble you had, although it is possible the problem you experienced is one of the many things they resolved. I also have an X570 system, so I can feel your pain. And coincidentally, I wager we have the same flight simulator. I know on initial install I left it run overnight because it was so large.

Please post back and let the forum know if the firmware update corrected your problem.

0 Kudos
jrostsr
Beginner

Success at last. So yes, Updating the bios, though it led to needing to re-install windows,  has solved the problems. It's been several days of solid computing. All crashing has stopped. Computer is treating me well. And even Microsoft flight simulator is running great..  Thanks to all who helped me get the machine back up and running.

Sincerely,

John

0 Kudos