Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

Intel dual band 7260AC for desktop hangs on Windows 10 creator edition with IPv6 enabled

AKopp
Novice

I was previously running Windows 10 64-bit Anniversary edition 1607 without any problems.

I have an Intel dual band 7260AC for desktop installed with IPv4 and IPv6 enabled, driver version 18.33.6.2 from the wireless proset version 19.50.1

A few days ago, I installed the update to the new Windows 10 Creator edition 1703 and ALL applications, including console programs like 'nslookup' and 'ping', using the wirless network started to become 'not responding' after a few minutes or less.

Once an application 'hung', it could not be terminated from task manager, giving an 'access denied' error when attempting and 'end task'.

If I disabled the Intel 7260AC adapter and using a wired Broadcom ethernet connection, everything worked normally again.

After disabling IPv6 on the Intel 7260AC, the wireless network ALSO worked again without hanging.

Looking at the symptoms, it seems there is a problem with the 18.33.6.2 driver on Windows 10 Creator edition, where an application gets 'hung' inside the system call to the driver, because they can't be terminated anymore.

I didn't see any newer drivers available and was wondering if other people have encountered similar problems or are using a 7260AC adapter with IPv6 enabled normally?

Adri.

103 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello billhouston00,

Thank you for sharing with us. We're glad to hear that your issue has been resolved.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
KAlle
Beginner

Hello Carlos,

New driver is better although after an hour it produces the same issues as before (freezes in brouwser).

K.

0 Kudos
OWata
Beginner

Hello,

I have this same card and it's only given me problems ever since I bought it.

I can confirm this happens since win10 creators update. Here is a workaround I found after many many hours wasted.

Go to the device manager, right click the card > properties > advanced > HT mode > go from VHT to HT mode, or to disabled.

Basically the card doesn't work in ac mode. Have to use n at the moment. Haven't had an issue since but now my throughput is not what i wanted within my home network, but at least it works.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ot1990,

Thanks for the workaround.

Have you had issues with your adapter working in 802.11ac ever since the beginning, or only since Creators Update?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
OWata
Beginner

It always worked in ac mode until the creators update.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

ot1990,

Thanks for confirming that for us.

We're still investigating the issue, as soon as we have more updates we'll post them to this thread.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello all,

So far this seems to be an isolated issue. We have not been able to reproduce it in any of our lab computers. Some users report the issue is resolved after installing the latest batch of updates.

In order for us to investigate, we will need the full event viewer log files from your systems. Please do not share only the text information as our engineering team will not accept this.

Step 1: Clear your system event logs.

/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-475607-368506/Clear.jpg

Step 2:

/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-475607-368507/Clear 2.jpg

Step 3: Reproduce the issue.

Step 4: Save the logs.

/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-475607-368601/Save.jpg

Once you've saved your log to a file, you'll simply need to switch over to the advanced editor to enable attachments. You may need to compress this file before hand.

/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-475607-368602/enable attachments.jpg

If the file is still too large to attach, please let us know so that we may send you an email to which you can reply with the attachment.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
OWata
Beginner

Here you go.

Pretty much just enabled VHT mode. Opened a few streams and it crashed. I was able to save the log but every program using the connection freezes... I tried restarting my computer and it crashed

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ot1990,

Thank you for sharing. We'll review your logs and post back once we have more information.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Carlos,

I have the Intel dual band 7260AC in my laptop and I have the same issue since Windows 10 upgraded to Creators edition. The guidance from MSI (the laptop manufacturer) is to factory reset the machine to the original settings and switch off automatic updates for Windows. I'm not comfortable doing this as I'm concerned about software and drivers being out of date (and potential security risks too).

Has anyone been able to identify whether the issue is with Creator itself or drivers? Is there an older driver I can install that will work with Win 10 Creator update? I'd be willing to test beta drivers if there are any available. If there are any tests you wish me to run please let me know.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello emaildrose and everybody else,

We've been working with our engineers in order to identify the source of this issue and provide a solution. Currenlty, it seems to be an isolated, OS sided issue.

Our recommendation will be to contact Microsoft* in regards to this problem, and if possible, provide us with your ticket number so that we may follow up with them as well.

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/ Contact Microsoft* Support

If you are not comfortable sharing your MS Support ticket number publicly, do let us know so that we may contact you via private message.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
HKim49
Novice

It is surprising that the issue has not been reproduced in lab.

Looking at this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/wifi-issues-with-creators-update/4a20ba4f-33dc-4397-9823-e12dcb2607ba WiFi issues with Creators Update - Microsoft Community it would seem that this is not an isolated issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hsk,

It is surprising, can't help but agree with you on this one. We've tested using multiple OEM systems as well as using the 7260 for desktop on several boards, but none gave us any issues with the creator's update.

Did you have any success with their suggested troubleshooting? (Specially the steps to disable Receive Segment Coalescing).

Thank you for sharing the link.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BSala2
Beginner

Having the same issue with both non-Intel and Intel WiFi adapters after upgrade to Windows 10 Creators Update. The only current workaround is to disable Receive Segment Coalescing. No problems after that change.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Can someone tell me how to disable Receive Segment Coalescing? I'll try that and see if it works for my machine.

0 Kudos
JW4
Beginner

I got two logs for you of my system with the latest driver with hangs. As soon as i uninstall intels software and it reverts back to older drivers without intels software not just drivers in the system I can get on net again.

0 Kudos
BOdeg
Beginner

This is not only a Windows 10 problem. I'm also experiencing the same lock up issue in Windows 7 SP1 with the 7260AC. It seems to have started around the same time my Windows 10 system got the Creators Update. Microsoft must have pushed out some incompatible networking updates to both Windows 7 and 10 OSes.

I'm trying out the workaround to change the VHT setting to HT to see if that helps. I'm on the Intel 18.33.7.2 driver.

0 Kudos
JCray1
Beginner

Do we have any updates Carlos @ Intel? This thread hasn't had any news for months. I've got a 50ft CAT-5e running through my house.

0 Kudos
MBred2
Beginner

In case the powershell command fails, you probably can disable the RSC by adding the appropriate registry keys,

as I have posted yesterday in the microsoft forum thread.

This is not tested thouroughly, please give feedback.

You have to edit the registry. This can cause severe malfunctions, so be careful.

The background info is from:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/network/standardized-inf-keywords-for-rsc https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/network/standardized-inf-keywords-for-rsc

You have modify these keys according to your Wifi Card Class entry. You can find the right class searching the existing string for "PacketCoalescing". The keys for RscIPv6 are missing until you add them.

For an Intel AC7260 (driver version 18.33.7.2) on Windows 10 64bit I have added the following keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0002]

"*RscIPv6"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0002\Ndi\Params]

"default"="0"

"ParamDesc"="RscIPv6"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0002\Ndi\Params\*RscIPv6]

"ParamDesc"="Recv Segment Coalescing (IPv6)"

"default"="0"

"type"="enum"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0002\Ndi\Params\*RscIPv6\enum]

"0"="deactivated"

"1"="activated"

good luck, Martin

0 Kudos
MSutt4
Novice

I have been struggling with this issue for a year now.... for some reason this worked today... I've tried everything in this thread and I see that intel didn't respond for a while.

Have you tried a "network reset"

Type in Cortana - network reset - and follow steps reboot.(or type in windows settings search function)

I have tried all other fixes... this seemed to fix it for me.

I have the latest intel drivers installed, and all settings are default from the reset. AFTER NETWORK RESET - Device manager now has additional wan miniport drivers that where missing prior to the reset.

Normally mine would crash after 20-30mins...and I would have to HARD reboot as the Wi-Fi card was stuck in disabled mode....

I have been stable all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on WIFI 5G All DAY ... just thought it was worth a try...

Hopefully that works for some other people. Maybe no one has this issue anymore as this is an old thread, but I could not find a resolution.

SO NICE TO HAVE WiFi Back!! Just wanted to pass along as I see someone else has had a cable running through there house like I did.

DPham3
Beginner

This is strange, it actually worked. I already faced this problem 2 months ago, fixed by rollbacking drivers. But after the Fall Creators Update, there was no rollback option. I even tried to reinstall OS and it didn't work.

The workaround from sutto actually works, been stable for few hours without a problem, normally the driver would cause freezes and would have a yellow exclamation mark in the taskbar after 15 minutes.

0 Kudos