Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Intel dual band 7260AC for desktop hangs on Windows 10 creator edition with IPv6 enabled

AKopp
Novice

I was previously running Windows 10 64-bit Anniversary edition 1607 without any problems.

I have an Intel dual band 7260AC for desktop installed with IPv4 and IPv6 enabled, driver version 18.33.6.2 from the wireless proset version 19.50.1

A few days ago, I installed the update to the new Windows 10 Creator edition 1703 and ALL applications, including console programs like 'nslookup' and 'ping', using the wirless network started to become 'not responding' after a few minutes or less.

Once an application 'hung', it could not be terminated from task manager, giving an 'access denied' error when attempting and 'end task'.

If I disabled the Intel 7260AC adapter and using a wired Broadcom ethernet connection, everything worked normally again.

After disabling IPv6 on the Intel 7260AC, the wireless network ALSO worked again without hanging.

Looking at the symptoms, it seems there is a problem with the 18.33.6.2 driver on Windows 10 Creator edition, where an application gets 'hung' inside the system call to the driver, because they can't be terminated anymore.

I didn't see any newer drivers available and was wondering if other people have encountered similar problems or are using a 7260AC adapter with IPv6 enabled normally?

Adri.

103 Replies
JCray1
Beginner

Tried this and since have been unable to connect to my wireless AP at all anymore. System just says it's trying to connect indefinitely. Tried the network reset solution prior to the Fall Creator's update and sadly even after it, and reboots, and removal of the device, with uninstallation of the driver back to the oldest one, and re-installation of the latest, I continue not to be able to connect at all now.

I haven't spent any more time on it since I attempted it. Will try more this weekend. Curious if anyone else had a problem with this potential solution or if I'm the only one.

j

0 Kudos
JCray1
Beginner

So I just tried to connect to my AP again and it worked. Rebooted, still connected. Will see what happens.

Prior to trying sutto's solution I had installed the Release version of the latest drive and was still losing connection but only for a few seconds. Still, it was enough to break the Plex streaming I am running off this machine.

Will report back if the connection is now solid.

j

*edit* in the time I wrote the message above and clicked Add Reply on this forum the connection died. It did not reconnect itself after a few seconds. So I guess I am not ok.

0 Kudos
MSutt4
Novice

Sounds like you are having a different issue... I would think that your issue is with your router.... would suggest firmware update on router, maybe replacement depending on age.... if ISP supplied would recommend getting a separate router... if you have already replaced then change channels on router to determine if interference issue. I did not have an issue connecting to the router, so my fix may not work for that. But check for Firmware updates, interference, maybe you need a booster?.... I have a Netgear Nighthawk at home, and Netgear R8000 at my office... both have been stable since the fix, but again my fix was for a different issue.

0 Kudos
JCray1
Beginner

Don't think I'm having a different issue. You can see my troubleshooting with Carlos /thread/115863 here. Basics are that this machine and the router worked fine for over a year and broke after an update to Win 10. What were you experiencing, sutto?

Before Win 10 Anniversary update

No issues

After Win 10 Anniversary update

When the crash happens I lose wireless network connectivity. I am unable to disable/re-enable via Device Manager because it hangs. Sometimes I am unable to Restart or Shutdown Windows. When this happens either option displays the 'working' circle showing Restarting or Shutting Down indefinitely. In all cases to restore connectivity I must hard shutdown the machine using the power button.

If the crash happens and I leave the machine long enough, Bluetooth served by the AC7260 is also taken down rendering my bluetooth mouse and keyboard unresponsive.

I am able to see indicative events in the Event Viewer that state the AC7260 adapter is beginning to restart itself. These events are always logged upon failure event.

1- Rolling back drivers one version at a time, opting to remove the device driver from the system upon rollback. Leaving the system on each driver version for a few days to observe. In all cases the crash reproduces itself excep..

2- ... when rolling back all the way to 22-Feb-2015 (17.15.0.5) which worked for a few months but recently the issue reoccured.

3- I tried installing the latest 5-Apr-2017 (18.33.7.2) and experienced the same issue.

4- Checked the recommended settings for 802.11n connectivity.

After KB4022716 and 19.60.0

Same result of sporadic disconnection, even if rolling back to 17.15.0.5

After Creator's update and 19.70.0

Same result of sporadic disconnection

After 19.71 test driver

Same result of sporadic disconnection

After 19.71 production driver

Connection crashes every 30 mins or so but reconnects almost immediately

After network reset

At cannot connect to AP.

After Creator's Fall update

Able to connect, connection crashes after a few minutes.

@ Carlos, what's the latest on your end? News from Intel has been really quiet. Are you seeing more or less cases? What are the latest discussions between Intel and MS currently?

0 Kudos
MSutt4
Novice

yeah that sounds the same, Sorry I did not read your past troubleshooting, I just saw that you where unable to connect.

I struggled with the same issue as you, and nothing worked until network reset.

I did not try the registry suggested changes - if you did undo it.

I installed creators update, reinstalled/updated network drivers, and Bluetooth drivers VIA intel driver update utility. Left all settings Default, noticed missing wan drivers in device manager and was unable to see network computers... wifi card was dropping connection, and then becoming disabled and had to hard reboot..... so I completed network reset and missing drivers returned and all computers showed on network... left all settings default after network reset. I was able to connect right away... when I lost connection 1 time, it reconnected instantly (like a normal computer finally)... which it had never done before, normally it would just crash and I would have to hard reboot....

Would recommend you update firmware in your router as well, and confirm with another device that it is working properly. I only suggest that as routers can have issues randomly as well too. I just had to replace one in my office for random connectivity issues.... Well good luck, I just wanted to clarify what I had done to make it work, as I was running a cable for 1year and just about to purchase a USB wifi card.

0 Kudos
NeoBeum
Beginner

For the Wireless Dual Band 7260 use driver only 18.33

The Bluetooth USB driver can use 19.60 from memory.

Ensure that the ProSet software isn't installed - Windows is having issues with one of the interface pages. haven't had the chance to go full blown debugging yet.

I'm almost certain that something funky happens in the Windows Update Catalog Database when there is a mix of compatible hardware and software for multiple devices but specific devices aren't included for software installations in certain conditions.

It's like the chipset scenario.

ps. one of the major issues is the Bluetooth or the Wireless going to either a low power mode.

The logs will get filled with the firmware or drivers are limiting the device entering low power ...

that's when windows may try cycling through the different drivers installed on the system

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello All,

Has everyone tried the workaround mentioned by sutto?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
CCrai
Beginner

Has any progress been made on this issue? I am having the same problem with my Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160. My symptoms seem to match those outlined by jcray in his recent post.

In /thread/115863?start=15&tstart=0 this thread Carlos A posting on behalf of intel_corp said that a solution would be posted here when Intel found one.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello colin22,

This was an OS sided issue affecting some but not all systems with our wireless adapters and as well as several adapters from other brands. This was eventually resolved through Windows Updates*.

For most users performing a Network Reset resolved the problem:

1. Select the Start button, then select Settings > Network & Internet > Status > Network reset.

2. On the Network reset screen, select Reset Now > Yes to confirm.

3. Wait for your PC to restart.

Are you using the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27309 latest drivers for your adapter?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
CCrai
Beginner

Hi Carlos

Thanks for your reply. I've got the latest driver (18.33.11.2) and my Windows 10 is fully updated.

I just tried performing a Network Reset and restarting my PC. I'll post back in here if the problem persists, but if you don't hear from me you can assume it worked.

Kind regards

Colin

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello colin22,

We hope this resolves your issue. If it doesn't, let us know and attach a complete SSU report so that we may provide some more specific troubleshooting for you.

1. Download and run the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® System Support Utility.

2. Select to scan "everything," and run the scan while connected to your wireless network (if possible).

3. Save the report and attach it to your reply.

Note: To enable attachments, make sure to switch to the advanced editor while replying.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
AJohn12
Beginner

I want to confirm having similar issue on my Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 laptop and AC 7260 network card.

By similar I mean the card dropping the connection, having yellow exclamation mark on the WiFi icon in the task bar, if I try to troubleshoot with windows tool or switch off/switch on the card it gets worse. I found after those actions I can't perform chekdisk (it freezes after displaying "The type of the file system is NTFS". After that only reboot helps.

I tried the network reset but I lost the connection after 2hrs.

But... as someone mentioned in another thread here this time I used workaround - put the laptop in the sleep mode for ~15 seconds, after that everyting becomes normal, no need to reboot that after the described state above lasts for minutes ending with a BSOD (mostly Driver Power Failure State).

I use up to date Windows 10 Pro and the latest Intel drivers from the ProSet package 20.40.0.

Why the sleep mode can fix the WiFi while Windows itself make it even worse?

Seb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello eSbek,

Thanks for posting. In this case, the issue description seems somewhat different.

The sleep mode behavior and the chkdsk results suggest a hardware problem. We recommend to backup your data and reinstall the operating system.

If the issue persists, please https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html contact your system OEM for further assistance.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
AJohn12
Beginner

thanks for your reply,

I would like to mention that same time I have following symptoms in Windows System Log as described here:

I freshly installed Win10 (again) last week.

Do you think it's the hardware not the driver issue?

Seb aka eSbek

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello eSbek,

Many customers have reported that similar issues were fixed after a hardware replacement with the assistance of their computer Original System Manufacturer, even when replaced with another Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
RTrem1
Beginner

Years later, issue still exists on Windows 10 1903, whatever driver version being installed. Forcing 802.11n on 2.4Ghz actually does the trick, except that it's no longer an AC card in this mode.

And there's clearly something to do with hardware because I have another one in another computer that works flawlessly and swapping them also swaps the issue. Both are revision BB.

OK: 48-51-B7-15-86-EB KO: AC-FD-CE-E5-9F-7A

0 Kudos
Larber
Beginner

I came upon this thread and thought my problems would be resolved,  only to find there is no resolution. I am also having problems with the AC 7260 card and windows 10  home version 21H2 OS version 19044.2364.  If I run any driver version of 18 I have the persistent drops. When I downgrade and run driver version 17.16.0.4 the problems go away.  

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The last versions of the PROset Wireless and Bluetooth driver packages that supported the Wireless-AX 7260 is version 21.10.1. Now, because this device is discontinued, Intel Customer Support, in all their wisdom (or lack thereof), has stopped hosting these driver packages (so much for customer orientation). Scott to the rescue; I have these drivers squirreled away in my archive. But, because the driver packages are so big, I cannot upload them to post here. I will put them into a OneDrive share and send you both a link to this share.

...S

Update: files uploaded and links sent. 

0 Kudos
Larber
Beginner

Scott, thanks for the response. That version of driver 18.33.17.1 is the same one I had when I started troubleshooting this problem. So yes it has the same problems. I've tried this version and 18.33.14.3 with same problems. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, it was worth the try. I guess everyone should be running the latest build - oh wait, discontinued and not supported by latest build... (sigh!)

...S

0 Kudos