Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel dual band 7260AC for desktop hangs on Windows 10 creator edition with IPv6 enabled

AKopp
Novice

I was previously running Windows 10 64-bit Anniversary edition 1607 without any problems.

I have an Intel dual band 7260AC for desktop installed with IPv4 and IPv6 enabled, driver version 18.33.6.2 from the wireless proset version 19.50.1

A few days ago, I installed the update to the new Windows 10 Creator edition 1703 and ALL applications, including console programs like 'nslookup' and 'ping', using the wirless network started to become 'not responding' after a few minutes or less.

Once an application 'hung', it could not be terminated from task manager, giving an 'access denied' error when attempting and 'end task'.

If I disabled the Intel 7260AC adapter and using a wired Broadcom ethernet connection, everything worked normally again.

After disabling IPv6 on the Intel 7260AC, the wireless network ALSO worked again without hanging.

Looking at the symptoms, it seems there is a problem with the 18.33.6.2 driver on Windows 10 Creator edition, where an application gets 'hung' inside the system call to the driver, because they can't be terminated anymore.

I didn't see any newer drivers available and was wondering if other people have encountered similar problems or are using a 7260AC adapter with IPv6 enabled normally?

Adri.

103 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello AdriK,

We understand that your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 for Desktop is becoming unresponsive with IPv6 enabled after Windows® 10 Creators Update*.

In this case the first thing we would like to suggest will be a clean installation of your wireless drivers:

1. Download and save our latest Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows® 10: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26653/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10 Wireless_19.50.1_PROSet64_Win10.exe

2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and uninstall it. Make sure to select the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else (unless you're ok with the extra wait) and press OK.

5. Reboot your computer.

6. Install the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software that was downloaded back in step one.

If the issue continues, please download and run our https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility (while connected to your network) and share the resulting report with us. To enable file attachments, you will need to switch to the advanced editor mode while replying.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
AKopp
Novice

Hello Carlos,

I already tried removing and reinstalling the Intel PROSet/Wireless software for Windows 10 19.50.1 before.

I followed all your steps and after the last reboot, the network became unresponsive again after about 5 minutes.

This NEVER happened with earlier versions of Windows 10 Pro.

The problem started after upgrading to Windows 10 Creator edition 1703.

Attached I have the output of the SSU utility.

Best regards,

Adri.

0 Kudos
AKopp
Novice

Hallo Carlos,

I have uninstalled the Intel PROSet/Wireless software for Windows 10 version 19.50.1.

I have since installed an older driver, version 17.15.0.5 dated 22-02-1015 and have had no problems or hangups for the last 2 hours.

It seems the older driver works properly with IPv6 enabled, where as the latest driver, version 18.33.6.2 from PROSet/Wireless 19.50.1 doesn't work.

I hope this might guide you to pinpoint or solve the problem.

Best regards,

Adri

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AdriK,

Thank you for sharing this update. We'll definitely need to look deeper into this so that the issue may be fixed in a future driver update.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
AKopp
Novice

Hello Carlos,

Thanks for your confirmation about the problem.

Please let me know if I can help in any way with testing or supplying more information.

Best regards,

Adri.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AdriK,

We definitely appreciate that. For now we only have one question:

The older driver that you're using, is this the inbox driver included with the OS, or did you manually install an older PROSet?

Best regards,

Carlos A
0 Kudos
AKopp
Novice

Hello Carlos,

I uninstalled the PROSet/Wireless 19.50.1, uninstalled the 7260AC device and rebooted.

I didn't install an older version of the PROSet/Wireless.

After the reboot, the older drivers were installed automatically and I think they are the OS included drivers.

The drivers were installed using netwbw02.inf, not from an oemxx.inf file.

Attached I have a screenshot of the installed driver files.

Best regards,

Adri.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AdriK,

Sounds about right, we just wanted to confirm this.

If you run into any additional issues, please let us know.

For now, we're gathering information and fixes should be included in a future driver update.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
AKopp
Novice

Hello Carlos,

Thanks for the information.

I will wait for a driver update in a new PROSet/Wireless version and try again.

If I encounter any other issues, I will let you know.

Do you have an idea when a new driver might be released?

Best regards,

Adri.

0 Kudos
JW4
Beginner

I have the same issue with creators build. I had to use the older version of the driver 17.15.05. Its the only way to keep the card from freezing up causing chrome browser from hanging. Once it happens you can restart and its just having issues as soon as you start then.

0 Kudos
NeoBeum
Beginner

Intel Corporation wrote:

1. Download and save our latest Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows® 10:https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26653/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10 Wireless_19.50.1_PROSet64_Win10.exe

Carlos A.

intel_corp Hi @Carlos

I have something to add to this very discussion, and am making my own thread for it.

I'll link it in a sec ....

here it is:

0 Kudos
DBezp
Beginner

Hello Carlos !

Working solution with my situation.

Got update - Windows 10 Pro 1803 and after installation, reboot my wireless connection cannot receive ipv6 settings from router Zyxel Keenetic Ultra II

uninstalling default windows driver ind installing WiFi_20.50.0_PROSet64_Win10.exe recovered situation !

Thank you !

idata
Employee

Hello Laik_Newmark,

Thanks for the update. This could be useful for other users having similar issues after updating their Windows 10*.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
RStew1
Beginner

Hello,

I am having this same problem with this same card on Windows 10. I've followed all the instructions without effect. Is there an ETA on the fix? This has been a gremlin in my machine for a whole year since the original purchase.

Raymond

0 Kudos
CRgt
Beginner

Hello,

This is maybe related. My AC7260 worked okay before the creators update but after the creators update, when I wake my PC from sleep, it makes my apps freeze and crash until I enable and disable airplane mode. And I think driver18.33 = 19.50.1, when you install 19.50.1, it's actually "fake" and it installs 18.33 instead.

I tried to make a scheduled task to disable/enable the card when the pc wakes up from sleep but it doesn't work as expected

0 Kudos
HKim49
Novice

Getting exactly the same symptoms. Disabling IPv6 doesn't help much for me.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Grimmer1 and hsk,

To confirm:

- Issue started after Creators Update.

- Uninstalling driver and using built-in version resolves the hangs/freezing issue.

Is this correct?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
HKim49
Novice

- Issue started after Creators Update.

Yes.

- Uninstalling driver and using built-in version resolves the hangs/freezing issue.

Still some hanging and unresponsiveness, but the in-box driver is much more stable than 18.33.6.2

Is this a router/signal problem? Not that I can see. A laptop with 7260AC/18.33.6.2 running CU, connects normally. All settings are identical.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hsk,

Thank you for this information.

We're currently working to resolve these issues and will post to this thread once more information is available.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JW4
Beginner

Issue only stared after creators build update.

18.33.6.2 crashes more then the 17.15.05 version and an earlier version of 17 that is installed but 17.15.05 version still with hang up once in a while.

Only way to fix it is restart computer when it happens. If after restart you try to go on net then you cant change the drivers. So before that happens after restart I have to go in to device manager click on update drivers for intel ac card. Choose drivers and pick the one version then it works and switch to older more stable version.

This is the error showing up the system event logs.

The Network Setup Service service terminated with the following error:

Network Setup Service is not a valid Win32 application.

-System

-Provider[ Name]Service Control Manager[ Guid]{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}[ EventSourceName]Service Control Manager<strong style="font-s...
0 Kudos