Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel dual band AC-3165 too slow

AKono6
Novice

On my old mac on the same wifi i get 40 Mbps download and 40 Mbps upload. But my new lenovo ideapad 320-14 gets only 7 Mbps upload and less that 1 Mbps download.

I am very dissapointed because this is very slow for me. Please help me understand if i can fix it somehow or do i need another laptop.

SSU scan results attached

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AKono6
Novice
Hi! Thank you for response. I have fiddled with settings, and looks like enabling throughput booster significantly increased the speed. Now i am happy. Thank you :)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello AKono6, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. I was checking the information in the System Support Utility report you have attached and I have seen several things. First, I can see that you do not have the latest Windows* update which is 1809, build 17763. Please, proceed to update the Windows version you are running, you can do this via Windows* updater or you can download it from the link below: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 * Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. * Second, I have found that you do not have the latest wireless driver, please download and install the driver in the link below: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28623/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=89450 NOTE: Please start with the update for Windows and then proceed with the driver installation. I hope this helps. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
AKono6
Novice
Hi David! Thanks for your reply. I have done what you suggested, and after several restarts the problem still persists. It actually became worse. But there was a brief moment when my down/up load speeds were okay, then after a restart everything was like before, very slow. I dont know what affected this. Attaching a new report file. - i have just noticed that my wifi drivers did not update to the version in the link that you provided. I click the driver package twice, then click yes on the UAC dialog. Then a loader icon appears, and then disappears. Nothing more. Then i have done next thing - disabled the wifi device from device manager and deleted driver files, cleared temp files. And then clicked on the package WiFi_20.120.1_Driver64_Win10 that i have downloaded from your link. Devices in device manager blinked and the ac-3165 appeared once again. I have checked its version, but it was still 19.51.18.1.
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello AKono6, Thank you for your response. Please try with the following driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28626/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins Follow these steps in order to install it: 1 - Go to Device Manager. 2 - Expand the Network Adapters category. 3 - Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it. 4 - Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device. 5 - Clear out your temporary files. 5.1 - Press the Windows* key and R key simultaneously to open the run box. 5.2 - Type in: cleanmgr.exe and press the Enter key or OK. 5.3 - Place a check mark next to Temporary Files. You can leave everything else checked or unchecked. 5.4 - Press OK and wait. 6 - Restart your computer. 7 - Locate the driver you downloaded, Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion. Once completed, you can restart the system once more and see if the performance stabilizes. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
AKono6
Novice
Hi David! Thanks for the reply. I have done like you suggested and this is what happened: I have uninstalled the device, cleared temp folder. At this point my wifi device was not functioning, as i could see in my taskbar (instead of the wifi bars there was a monitor with an red x) Then i restarted my laptop, and when i logged in, there were already the wifi bars in the taskbar. The device manager showed wifi device with the same old 19.51... version. I did not even install the drivers form the link. The reason maybe was that i have this 5gb usb drive called LENOVO visible just next to mu C disk with a bunch of drivers, so i backed them up and deleted, and formatted that drive. Then i repeated steps - uninstalled wifi device, cleared temp folder and restarted. The wifi device again was installed and workgin with the 19.xx version when i logged it. But then i also tried installing the drivers from the link that you provided, and nothing changed.
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello AKono6, Thank you for your response. Change the wireless settings according to the link below: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005544/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Once this has been done, let me know if the performance changes. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
AKono6
Novice
Hi! Thank you for response. I have fiddled with settings, and looks like enabling throughput booster significantly increased the speed. Now i am happy. Thank you :)
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello AKono6, Thank you for your response. I'm glad to know your system is responding better than before. Keep in mind that if you need any more help with any issue you may encounter you can contact us back for support. I will proceed to close this. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos