Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Intel dual band wireless AC 3160 frequent disconnects

EVass
Beginner

Hello everyone, hope you're having a good day/ evening.

I'm having a weird driver issue with the computer I use at work.

The motherboard is an ASrock H110M-ITX/AC and the operating system is windows 10.

The wireless module of the motherboard is intel's AC 3160. I have updated its drivers to the latest version from asrock's website (not intel's).

The issue I have is frequent disconnects to the point of the wifi being unusable and me having to reboot (in which case the wifi drops again, minutes later).

We're talking 50 wifi drops per day. The cables of the antennae are fine, the antennae are screwed to the case tightly and the router is close by. The computer is unobstructed and has no metal barriers around it.

The connection will drop, at which point the network name disappears from the list and I'll have to reboot the adaptor or the computer for it to appear again.

It then connects, then drops. Then it's stable for a couple of minutes, or half an hour, and then drops again.

I have found a temporary "solution" of using a USB dongle to maintain the connection, but for curiosity's sake and for helping others who probably have the same issue I'd like to solve this if possible (with your help of course).

Any kind of advice is welcome.

Computer specs

Motherboard: ASrock H110M-ITX/AC (wireless module intel 3160)

CPU: Intel i3-7100 3.9GHz

GPU: ASUS AMD R7 250 1GB DDR5

RAM: 8GB

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello eru777,

Thanks for posting in our communities. We understand that you're experiencing disconnections when connecting to Wi-Fi with Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160.

In order to better assist you, we would like gather more information about your system and the disconnections behavior. Please provide us with the following details and logs:

- Was the connection stable before? If so, do you remember if something changed in the system when the issue started?

- When connection is lost, please check the adapter status at Device Manager. Do you see an error code and message?

- Intel® System Support Utility report.

1. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 Download the latest Intel® SSU.

2. While connected to your WiFi network, run the scan. Select to include "everything."

3. Name and save the report.

- Your WLAN Auto-Config log.

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command prompt, and then select Run as administrator > Yes.

2. Enter: netsh wlan show wlanreport

3. Go to: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\WlanReport\ locate wlan-report-latest.html

NOTE: Please make sure to be connected to the Wi-Fi with Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 instead of the USB Dongle when gathering the logs.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello eru777,

We haven't heard from you since the creation of this thread. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
RPaz01
Beginner

Good day!

I do have the same problem as his. My wifi connection on my laptop suddenly stopped when i check my driver its not working i tried updating the driver but it failed. it says "the device cannot start (code 10)" is there anything i can do to fix this. i cannot connect to the wifi to try what you stated above. im currently using an ethernet cable for the connection. Hope you can help me. Thank you God bless!

0 Kudos
RPaz01
Beginner

PS even my ethernet connection is not stable. does this mean my laptop is of no use now?

0 Kudos