Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Intel wireless dual band ac-3168 Wireless not working properly with HP Pavilion 15-cc023cl

KAshu
Beginner

Hi All,

I have recently bought the HP Pavilion 15-cc023cl laptop (Windows 10) and i am seeing constant issues with the WiFi.

I am seeing constant drop in internet connectivity even though while seeing the wireless Icon , it shows connected to my wireless network with Internet access.

Devices connected to same wireless network working properly but only in this laptop facing issues.

If i turn off and turn on the wireless then for 2-3 mins it will work again and even when its working speed is little slow as compared to other devices using this wireless network .Then it stops accessing internet even though all looks good from wireless connectivity point of view for the laptop.

I tried few trouble shoot like rollback the driver(for both Bluetooth and wireless card) , and uncheck the power settings for both the Wireless card and the realtek PCIE controller . But still same issues is observed.

Can anyone please recommend how to resolve the issue. Any help will be much appreciated

Note :- I am thinking of deleting the firmware and installing the latest firmware Will it help?? Few forum i saw this also dint help

I am still in the rollback driver version

0 Kudos
14 Replies
KAshu
Beginner

I Have upgraded the driver for both Bluetooth and wireless to the latest version but still of no avail.

Still facing the issues with constant speed issue with the internet.

Wireless details ;- Intel Dual Wireless Band ac-3168 driver version 19.51.2.4

Also i tried the power option maximum performance for the wireless adapter.

Also checked the ping status for my router and max time for ping is 4ms.

Please intel community help me since it is ruining my laptop buy. Any help will be appreciated

Router details :- Tenda Wireless N3 150 MBps

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AshutoshK,

We understand that you're experiencing connectivity issues on your brand new HP* laptop using an http://ark.intel.com/products/94854/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-3168 Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 (1x1).

We're glad to see that you've already tried suggestions provided through our other threads. However, it's highly unusual for a brand new device to require troubleshooing. Our main recommendation in this type of situations is to contact your place of purchase or computer manufacturer to have the system checked out or replaced. Issues like these may be caused by a loose or defective antenna or adapter.

In order for us to provide some new troubleshooting suggestions we would like to receive the following:

1. What is the firmware version currently being used by your router?

2. Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility. Select the option to scan "everything," and then upload the report provided.

In order to enable attachments you will need to reply using the "advanced editor" option (top right).

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
KAshu
Beginner

Hi,

I have attached the logs which are asked.

I dont think the issue is with the wireless card as i told before in the thread it works in patches. For 1 min it will work and then drop of packets.

If there would had been any issues it would not have worked at all.

Modem/Router details below :-

Tenda wireless N3 150 MBps router

Firmware version V5.07.56.1_en_FOR01

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AshutoshK,

Thank you for this information.

It's possible that this issue is being caused by a combination of factors between your adapter and router of choice:

1. The Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 is a low cost 1x1 adapter. This means it uses one antenna supporting one data stream, with a second for Bluetooth® support. The maximum connection speeds of your adapter are as follows:

- Wireless-AC: 433 Mbps.

- Wireless-N: 150 Mbps.

2. The Tenda Wireless N3 150 Mbps* uses the legacy Wireless-N standard and has only one antenna. If there are multiple devices in your network you may experience interference and bandwidth limitations.

3. Your adapter is currently set to use 20MHz channels, which helps fight interference but limits you from 150 Mbps (on wireless-n) down to 72 Mbps.

You will notice the most dramatic improvement by upgrading to a Wireless-AC router, preferably with one two or more external antennas. However, in order to get the most out of your current setup, we can recommend adjusting the following https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005585.html advanced adapter settings:

1. 802.11n Channel Width: Set to Auto. You must then set your router to "20/40" or "Auto" channel bandwidth to match.

2. Roaming aggressiveness: 1.Lowest. This can help connectivity as your adapter will not scan for other networks as often while already connected.

3. HT Mode: set to 1. HT Mode. This will disable Wireless-AC and limit your adapter to Wireless-N, increasing compatibility with your router.

4. You're currently connected to 2.4GHz using channel 1. As an optional step you can also test using channels 6 or 11, and stay with whichever gives you the best connection. This can be accessed via your router settings only.

Please let us know if this helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
KAshu
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

I tried the steps provided by you.

Sad to say I am still experiencing the same issues with the internet.

Attaching the logs with you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AshutoshK,

In these new logs we can see that your connection rate has improved to 150Mbps. This is the best that you're going to be able to achive using a legacy Wireless-N router.

But do remember, if you upgrade to a new router you must set the HT Mode back to VHT in order to re-enable the adapter's Wireless-AC capabilities.

Would it be possible for you to test this computer connecting to a different (preferably wireless-AC) network? If the issue continues there, the adapter may be faulty. However, if you don't experience any issues on a newer network, we'll be able to confirm your router as the source of the problem.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
KAshu
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

Please find the latest logs .

Sharing this because in last 10-13 mins i am seeing nice speed ..

Can you find out anything specific ??

Note :- Currently my pc is in battery save mode

0 Kudos
KAshu
Beginner

Here is another log after 5-10 mins...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AshutoshK,

I see that you set your channel width back to 20 MHz Only, and changed channels again.

If channel 6 plus 20 MHz channel bandwidth is giving you the best performance, then it's possible that interference was playing a big part on your connectivity issues.

This article by extremetech.com is quite informative on why channel choice can be so helpful: https://www.extremetech.com/computing/179344-how-to-boost-your-wifi-speed-by-choosing-the-right-channel How to Boost Your Wi-Fi Speed by Choosing the Right Channel.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
KAshu
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

I didn't get your point " then it's possible that interference was playing a big part on your connectivity issues. "

i actually haven't changed the channel actually in router . It is set to auto only

Does Battery save mode has anything to do with it??

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AshutoshK,

Wireless-N as a standard has a lot of limitations. This standard was published back in 2007, which is quite a bit in computer years. We do believe your router having only one antenna plus using a legacy standard are the center of the connectivity issues that you're experiencing.

A router using only one antenna is more likely to suffer from RF interference being caused by other nearby devices (all kinds of things use the 2.4GHz frequency, from microwave ovens, flourescent lights, cordless phones, etc) or other wireless networks in your area.

The only big difference between your original report and the latest is the channel being used. Originally it was channel 1, then 11, and on your last two reports it remained on 6. If your router is choosing these automatically, you may want to manually set it to channel 6, since this seems to be the one that works best for you.

Since your adapter also has one antenna, it will limit you between 150 Mbps and 72 Mbps. Since your connection rate is lower, you're more likely to notice when something causes the speed to drop. If you upgrade to a wireless-AC router, you connection rate will vary between 300 and 433 Mbps. At these speeds, you're less likely to notice slight drops on your connection speed. More over, Wireless-AC has implemented several fixes to fight interference and improve wireless throughput.

- https://www.extremetech.com/computing/179344-how-to-boost-your-wifi-speed-by-choosing-the-right-channel Common Causes of WiFi Interference - by packetworks.net

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/80211ac-wifi-for-dummies.html 802.11ac Wifi for Dummies. Great resource, lots of useful information.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
KAshu
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

As per your comments I changed my Tenda router to brand New Wireless AC supported router.

New Router Model :- TP Link AC750 Wireless Dual Band Router, Model :- Archer 20

Firmware Version:0.9.1 3.16 v0001.0 Build 161130 Rel.68411n

I am experiencing better speed then before , but maybe not 100%

I am attaching couple of new logs with this new AC router.

Kindly go through them and let me know your thoughts .

Also tell me what is the best possible configuration needs to be done from my end based on the logs.

Note :- Distance of my system from router nearly 1 feet

Thanks,

Ashutosh

0 Kudos
KAshu
Beginner

Attaching 1 more recent log !!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Ashutosh,

This is good to hear. Looking at your latest logs, we can see that you're achieving a connection rate of 433.3 Mbps, which is your adapter's maximum.

It's good to note the difference between connection rate and download speed:

- Download speed is an average measured by how fast you can download a files, this does not take into account network overhead.

- Connection rate measures the speed at which data can be transferred between your router and your PC. This number will always be greater than your download speed because it will take everything into consideration. Wireless packets carry more info than just the files or data being downloaded, such as routing, encryption, etc.

Your settings look optimal. We can see that you're connecting via the 5GHz band, which should result in less interference and disconnects.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos