Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7443 Discussions

Internet speed decreases over time with 8260 & 7265

idata
Employee

In my Dell XPS 13 9350 laptop I have been trying switching out the Broadcom 1820A and with both the 8260 and the 7265 networking chips. What I have found with both of these chips is that while Bluetooth connectivity works really well, the Internet speeds I see with these are worse than with the 1820A. The speeds start out equivalently high as the 1820A on both 2.4 and 5GHz but after a short while they drop. e.g., measuring on both speedtest.net and xfinity speed test, I see 90Mbps for a while on 5GHz but after a short while when I retest I get speeds at about 20Mbps. If I restart the laptop, the fast-slow cycle starts over and the behavior is consistent. 2.4GHz acts the same but with lower top speeds. With the 1820A I see no similar drop in speeds over similar time frames. I am using the latest Intel drivers and I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling them. I've also made sure that all power mgmt. is off and that data metering is off. I have followed Intel's recommended settings for the card and router. My router is an Asus RT-N66U with latest firmware.

An example: I just ran a test where in the same location and on the same 5GHz network I got 19Mbps on the XPS 13 with the 8260 but 65Mbps on both my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phone and iPad Air 2. An hour ago I was getting about 70Mbps on the XPS 13 and it was only on screensaver during the intervening hour.

Any thoughts on what might be happening?

5 Replies
idata
Employee

sparksd,

Based on the details of this situation, it's likely you may be experiencing compatibility issues. It may be that your system is not fully compatible with the Intel® Wireless adapters mentioned and this may be causing the inconvenience with speeds.

We would like to take this opportunity and inform you that Intel does not support integration which is when the original wireless adapter is replaced by a different one. Please, check this link for further information on this matter: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005687.html?wapkw=regulatory+information+regarding+hardware+installation Regulatory Information Regarding Hardware Installation or Upgrade

We recommend to contact Dell* and check with them if they offer support for these adapters on this specific system you have. For your convenience, through this link you may find Dell's contact information: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support Websites

On our best effort to assist you, here are some tips that might help minimize or resolve the issue with speed considering you have mentioned you are using the latest drivers for our adapters according to your description, but just to guarantee you have our latest drivers here are the links to them so you can double check:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/86068/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-8260 Downloads for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/83635/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7265 Downloads for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

*Please, make sure to install the version according to your OS version and architecture 32 or 64 Bit

On our best effort to assist you, considering this is an integration, here are a few tips that help you improve and/or resolve this situation.

1. Make sure all files from the previous adapter has been removed completely.

2. Then, proceed to a clean installation of the drivers. This is how you can do it: 3. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 or Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 and uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

Additionally to that, these are other alternatives:

Use WPA2 security - For the high speeds on wireless N or AC routers you must use WPA2 security with AES encryption. Using WPA or WEP security with TKIP encryption will dramatically reduce bandwidth. Most routers offer a mixed WPA/WPA2 mode, but you should use WPA2 only.

Change your wireless channel - Changing your wireless channel might help increase range and performance, especially if you have neighboring networks set on the same channel or interference from other electronics. It's best to check channel usage with a program like http://www.vistumbler.net/ Vistumbler or http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ inSSIDer, but you can simply try other channels as well to see which one is best.

For 2.4GHz routers (the most common), channel 6 is the default for most routers, so stay away from it. Try channel 1 or 11, the other two other non-overlapping channels. For 5GHz wireless N or AC routers, you shouldn't have much of an interference issue since it's less commonly used. But you might try changing to another channel as well.

*NOTE: These third-party links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Change default channel width of router - The higher speeds of wireless N and AC can only be achieved by using the 40MHz wide channels. For wireless N (and possibly wireless AC), the default channel-width set on routers is only 20MHz. But you can login to the control panel of the router and in the wireless settings change the channel-width to auto 20/40MHz.

Upgrade your router - your router plays a very important role on the performance and speeds. Please, consider looking into the router configuration such as 802.11n or 802.11ac. configuration. Check if your router has MU-MIMO as it helps increase range and speed on the 5GHz frequency band that's less congested. Contacting the manufacturer for additional support is important.

We hope this helps you to resolve this situation.

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks. Did all of that, no change. Dell won't help either so i think I'll just toss this chip into the drawer with the 7265 and revert back to the Broadcom. I appreciate the response given but I question the non-support policy - why are these are sold on retail locations like Amazon for people to buy and use if the vendor does not support integration when they used?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

sparksd,

Unfortunately there is no way to have control over what a re-seller can or can not do. One thing we can guarantee is that we do not sell our Wireless Adapters to end-user, only to OEMs ( Original Equipment Manufacturer) so they can do all the necessary adjustments and modifications in order to be fully compatible with the type of system they plan to integrate and when they do that, they may even provide their own customized drivers.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or doubts.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Understood. Since Amazon doesn't make this clear I'll note the policy in my review there so other potential buyers are at least aware of it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

sparksd,

Thank you for your cooperation and going the extra mile and letting other potential buyer to know about that. Is there any thing else we can do to assist you? Should you have any further questions or doubts, please, do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos