Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Invalid value and BSS missed beacons

NE1Scott
Beginner

I have an HP Zbook Studi G3 Laptop that seems to be disconnecting every day from my wireless.

I have to cycle the wifi off and then back on for it to correct itself in a timely manner (haven't waited more than 5 minutes)

Windows Event Viewer - Windows Logs - System says :

---------------

ERROR

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 : The network adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver.

\Device\NDMP20
Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260
000008000200380000000000921300C00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000005744525657110000

-----------------

WARNING

6000 - BSS missed beacons. This event is info event which is used for debug purposes only.

\Device\NDMP20
Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260
000008000200380000000000701700800000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000900000009000000

----------------

It appeared to be happeneing each day a little after 12:00 noon when my DHCP lease expired.

I then set up a static DHCP entry in my router for this machine.

It happened again yesterday but later in the day (probably about when I set up that static IP last week)

HP Support Assistant doesn't show any updated drivers available.

I attached a list of the Intel Software installed on my Win10Pro v1909 laptop.

i will see if I can force the latest windows update as well.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @NE1Scott

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this behavior further, please kindly provide the following information:

1- Are you having issues with Wi-Fi only or with Bluetooth too (both)?

2- When did the issue start to happen? Did it work fine before? Were you able to have your wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before? Please provide details

3- Do you remember if this issue happened after a new Windows update or Wireless/Bluetooth driver update?

4- Is the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed in your system or did you install/integrate it on the laptop?

5- Have you tried a different router or Access point for testing purposes? Have you rebooted your access point, router, modem?

6- Does the behavior occur on the 5GHz band, the 2.4GHz band, or both?

7- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.
  • To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
NE1Scott
Beginner

I am connected to an HP SmartDock."HP Elite Thunderbolt 3 dock/HP Zbook Thunderbolt 3 dock"   HQ-TRE71025  P/N P5Q58UT#ABA
I have 2 external monitors connected via Displayport to HDMI cables and use a USB Mouse.
I have a Sandisk flair 256GB USB3 Type-C thumb drive in the dock as temporary extra storage.
I have used this computer in this exact configuration since Dec 1st 2020 at the same location in my house.
I was in the middle of typing in G-sheets or G-Mail when it stopped working for me yesterday.

1- Are you having issues with Wi-Fi only or with Bluetooth too (both)?

Wifi Only.  I don't currently use the bluetooth for anything, just headphones on rare occasions.

2- When did the issue start to happen? Did it work fine before? Were you able to have your wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before? Please provide details
The week of 5/17 - 5/23 but logged the time on 18th, 19th, and 21st after being annoyed so it may have started the week before.

3- Do you remember if this issue happened after a new Windows update or Wireless/Bluetooth driver update?
The 20H2 update has not been able to happen because I don't have 32GB disk free space, only 21GB on a 128 SSD.
I am assuming some recent update between 1909 and 20H2 or the fact that 20H2 has failed to install because it stops at 49% due to disk space.

4- Is the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed in your system or did you install/integrate it on the laptop?
Yes this is original OEM equipment purchased in 2017 and went out of warranty in 2020.

5- Have you tried a different router or Access point for testing purposes? Have you rebooted your access point, router, modem?
No, I have not tried a different access point/router but all of my other devices including my second laptop don't have this issue.

6- Does the behavior occur on the 5GHz band, the 2.4GHz band, or both?
I have only been on 5G lately but I can switch and see if it helps.   

7- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.WiFi Only
Ran once and saved results.
It failed 12 minutes from now yesterday so I will wait and run the SSU a second time during the failure if it fails.
It did not fail today yet, maybe due to the SSU running ?
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello NE1Scott

Thank you very much for your response.

Based on the Intel® SSU report, it seems the system is running the latest wireless driver (the version is the same number for both HP* customized driver and Intel® generic driver).

In this case, we recommend performing a clean install of the Wireless and Bluetooth drivers using the customized drivers from the HP* website*:

• HP* Intel Bluetooth Driver 21.110.0.3 Rev.A
  • HP* Intel WLAN Driver 22.40.0.7 Rev.A

Download link Software and drivers for HP* ZBook Studio G3 Mobile Workstation.

Please follow these steps:

1- Download and save to your computer the HP* drivers. To avoid Windows® update reinstalling a different driver during the process, we recommend first downloading and saving the driver installers in your computer, then disconnect the Internet

2- From Windows® Apps & Features app, uninstall any instances of the Intel PROSet/Wireless Software (You may skip this step if you don't see Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software) and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. When prompted, choose "Discard Settings".

3- Restart the computer.

4- Follow the steps for a Clean Installation of Wireless and Bluetooth Drivers steps on the link. Install the Bluetooth driver first, and then the Wireless driver.

Based on the Intel® SSU report, it seems that you are using the Wi-Fi standard 802.11ac. After the clean driver installation, please check and apply the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity.

If the issue persists, you can repeat the steps using the latest Intel® generic drivers:

Another option you may try is letting Windows® to install a different Wireless driver:

• Repeat previous steps to uninstall the driver from Windows® App & Features (if applicable) and from Device Manager and reboot the system.
  • In Device Manager, right-click the Wireless Adapter and select Update Driver
  • Select Search automatically for updated driver software.

After installing any driver, please apply the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity.

If the behavior persists, please provide a new Intel® SSU report and confirm the following details:

1- We understand that you might be able to test with the 2.4GHz band. Please kindly try this and let us know the outcome.

2- We noticed on the Intel® SSU report that there are some entries related to VPN software/Virtual Network adapters. Is the issue happening when using only VPN? Only when not using VPN or with both scenarios?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
NE1Scott
Beginner

I plan to try those steps on Mon or Tuesday but I have not had another discoonect so maybe I should wait until I see the problem again this week.  Possibly due to rebooting for other reasons and such I did not see the problem agin since the last reported one a week ago.  Once I start with a fresh boot on Monday I'll usually see it by Wednesday if I only put my system to sleep each night.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello NE1Scott

Thank you for your response. Ok no problem, please let us know if the behavior persists and the outcome of the steps in case you try them.

We will be waiting for your feedback.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello NE1Scott

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello NE1Scott

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
sax_man424
Beginner

Is there an update to this issue as we are also experiencing this issue?

0 Kudos
NE1Scott
Beginner

As I said it had happened 3 - 5 times before I posted this thread and continued happening another 3 or 4 times and then stopped behaving like that.   I am assuming a subsequent windows update may have helped.

I am hoping the issue does not return as I am very busy with this PC trying to get my work done.

0 Kudos