Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Is WMM/802.11e still supported on Intel WiFi drivers? I only see ad-hoc QoS/WMM driver settings now.

PPurc
Beginner

I don't see any settings to explicitly enable WMM on my wireless driver anymore. Is WMM enabled by default? And if it is, how is it disabled?

I'm currently using a Dell laptop running Windows 7

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello PPurc,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community.

In order to provide you accurate information, could you please provide the exact model of your Wireless Adapter to check the compatibility and supported features?

Also, I was checking on the Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings and the option available to enable or disable WMM is Ad-hoc QoS mode. Actually, according to the advanced settings the WMM is Disabled by default and the setting isn’t available on Windows* 10.

The feature isn't installed through an Administrator Package when your computer has either an:

• Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection
  • Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

Please check this article that contains the information provided:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Hope this helps,

Oscar A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
PPurc
Beginner

Oscar,

Thanks for the link. I had already found and read that article but it does not answer the basic question which is if WMM is supported and enabled on WiFi by default in Infrastructure Mode (not ad-hoc).

My laptop using the Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260. Driver version 19.10.0.9 dated 8/21/2016.

Driver Node Strong Name: oem232.inf:Device.NTamd64.6.1:Install_MPCIEX_DELLM2AENBT_8260_AC_2x2_HMC_WIN7_64_AC:19.10.0.9:pci\ven_8086&dev_24f3&subsys_00508086

The only reference I can find to it is in the link to the desktop module: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005490/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.html?wapkw=qos-wmm

Which lists the following:

• Supports 802.11e standard as QoS-WMM and WMM-PS for more multimedia applications

Note: I'm not looking for information on WMM-PS support just QoS-WMM in Infrastructure mode.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello PPurc,

Thank you for the information provided.

Let me go ahead and perform some research about your question and I will be posting back as soon as I get the outcome.

Regards,

Oscar A. 

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello PPurc,

Thank you very much for your time!

WMM is supported in infrastructure mode. It’s enabled/disabled via the network/AP settings, not on the client adapter.

Regards,

Oscar A.

Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello PPurc,

Please contact us back if you have any questions.

Regards,

Oscar A.

0 Kudos
PPurc
Beginner

Ok Thank you, my take on your reply is that the adapter will set the 802.11e/WMM OTA UP field based on application registry settings. This behavior is enabled by default and it cannot be changed using adapter settings.

Is that correct?

Much appreciated

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello PPurc,

You're very welcome!

That's correct, that's not something you can manage on the adapter settings, it needs to be managed directly on the AP/Router. For further assistance on how to enable/disable the option, please contact the manufacturer.

Best regards,

Oscar A.

0 Kudos