Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7443 Discussions

Is the wireless network software actually installing?

UsernameUnavailable

2019-03-24_1827.pngHi,

I recently had to reinstall windows ​8.1 following a 'forgotten password' incident. While setting it up following the installation, I found that my Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 adapter has gone, as in, no longer appearing in device manager.

I tried a few suggestions I found in various forums and eventually ended up downloading the PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers from the website.

Currently installing and for over an hour now it's been sitting on around 40% installed and it's been on caching:Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi software.

I just want to know, is this a typical installation time, or does it sound as though something has gone wrong with the install?

If anyone can help and needs more info, please tell me what else you need to know in order to help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, that is not normal - and likely is the result of it getting stuck while trying to access the device. You need to resolve why it is not showing up before installing the software. I suggest you start in your BIOS configuration.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. BTW, always, always install the Bluetooth package before the Wireless package!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, that is not normal - and likely is the result of it getting stuck while trying to access the device. You need to resolve why it is not showing up before installing the software. I suggest you start in your BIOS configuration.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. BTW, always, always install the Bluetooth package before the Wireless package!

0 Kudos
UsernameUnavailable

n.scott.pearson, you are a superstar! Entered bios, changed the integrated NIC settings in ​system configuration, rebooted and bam, there's my wireless adapter :) Now, I just need to find a way to get the last 4 or 5 hours of my life back that I wasted!

Thank you for the help, 5 stars for the advice!

0 Kudos