Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Is there a viable solution to AX 201 Issues (5 Ghz slower than 2.4 Ghz) ??

Ciprian
Beginner

For many years I've looked at Intel as the maker of great network cards (for servers there is a must to use an Intel NIC not to have issues).

This is until the Wireless AX 201.... 

This is the worst product I have dealt with in years and I have changed quite a lot of products.

Long story short, I bought an MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WIFI. It is actually my first MB with a built-in WiFi product. The Wi-Fi part was actually a selling point as I got tired of PCI-e cards not to mention that I wanted a cleaner built with a vertically mounted GPU.

Anyways, the problem I'm having is that the 5 GHz connection is CRAP. It's working as intended in the first 20 seconds or so and then is twice as slow as the 2.4 GHz connection and after minutes the connection to the internet is lost (just on the 5 GHz "part. If I switch to 2.4 GHz, it works fine). If I disable and re-enable the adapter, it works ... for another few minutes.

And because I have read SO MANY threads related AX 201, I have just tried everything:
- clean install of both Intel and MSI drivers
- try to "dumb" it down to different settings (from the Advanced section). No luck.

My router is a TP-Link AX1500 (it does support the ax protocol) and EVERY other device in my house works great on the 5 GHz connection (I get about 700 Mbps download speeds on my iPhone SE with Speedtest)
Even so, I did try different wireless settings on my router related to the Wi-Fi channels and bandwidth. I even tested enabling/disabling QoS. No luck.

So, dear Intel, do you have a REAL solution to the AX 201 Wi-Fi mess??? Other than what you've already suggested as "solutions" on other threads?

I'm attaching the SSU file too.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Ciprian,

I don't work for Intel. However, I follow the forum and try to help when possible. Your post reminded me of another user that was having trouble. The common thing was they also had a TP-Link appliance. This makes me curious if the problem is something between the AX201 and TP-Link gear.

Two things that you could test if you are so inclined. First would be to force the AX201 to use AC rather than AX. That would show if the problem is related to the AX protocol.

The second would be to turn your mobile phone into a hotspot and then connecting to that with you MSI on 5 GHz. If the link remains stable, that would indicate a good Wi-Fi adapter and some incompatibility with the TP-Link. If this test also produces an unusable 5 GHz link, I would be suspect of the adapter.

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

RF propagation is affected by many factors, 2.4 GHz can get through walls far better then 5 GHz or 6 GHz can

0 Kudos