Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Is there an algorithm in the intel driver that tests connection speed and then reduces it to maintain a steady connection? What are the recommended advanced settings in the driver for optimal speed?

DMess4
Beginner

I have an RT-AX88U wifi 6 router. I have had it for about a month and a half. I was getting 1.2 Gbs connections on my 5 Ghz network using a PCI card with an ax200 (driver version 21.80.2.1) on it. It worked perfectly until my motherboard failed a few days ago. After the motherboard was replaced, I was able to use the same operating system I was using before the failure. Now, when I connect, the connection shows 1.2 Gbs for about 10 seconds, then reduces to somewhere between 649 and 721. Why does this happen and is there anything I can do that might get it to connect at a faster speed? I changed some of the advanced settings on the adapter after I found that the connection was slowing and I made some changes to the router as well. The location of the router and the computer has not changed and the antenna for the adapter has also not been moved.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Failed board replaced with the same model board? Same bios?

Doc

0 Kudos
DMess4
Beginner

Hello, and thank you for your reply. Yes, it's the same Board number and revision (IPCFL-VM Rev:A00). I could not verify the bios number on the old board after it died. I think it was updated through the Dell support tool so it was probably the latest one (1.1.12), but I can't say for sure. I connected to the remanufactured board with bios version 1.1.6 that was installed from the remanufacturer with the same result. Then I upgraded it to the latest one (1.1.12) but there was no perceptible difference in network performance.

I also have a compact Dell 3060 that I was using in place of the XPS8930 while waiting for the new motherboard. I had installed an ax200 in the mini-pci slot in that machine and it was giving me a solid 1.2 Gbs. I removed it from the 3060 and installed it in the XPS8930 with a similar reduced connection speed. I also just tried checking for hidden devices in device manager to make sure I didn't have any extra instances of the driver and I also removed the PCIe card mounted adapter from the slot so only the ax200 in the mini pci slot on the motherboard is the only one in use.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Do you consistently see the speed slow down after 10 seconds or did you just see this happen once when you checked? Typically, when I see people reporting a slow down, the reason is usually because something else is interfering with it and the full speed could not be sustained. Alternatively, the antennas might be misconnected; try swapping the cables going to the AX200 module.

...S

0 Kudos
DMess4
Beginner

It almost always connects at 1.2 Gbps when I first connect. I have tried disabling and then re-enabling and when I check the status after doing that it shows a 1.2 connection for 10 to 15 seconds each time. After that, it reduces to somewhere between 650 Mbps and 721 Mbps. I just tried switching the antenna wires on the adapter and it did not make any difference.

0 Kudos
DMess4
Beginner

I was thinking about it and thought maybe it was due to poor reception on the desktop. When I was using the Fenvi PCIe adapter, it was connected to an external antenna but with the adapter inside the desktop connected to the desktop case antenna instead of an external one there is not enough of a signal to support a full speed connection. I removed the desktop from inside the desk and when it started it up sitting on top of the desk I got a solid 1.2 Gbps connection. I will setup an external antenna for this adapter and I am sure it will work fine after that. Thanks for the responses

0 Kudos