Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7440 Discussions

Is there any idea when Intel will have an AX200 driver for linux and PCIe 4x, 8x and 16x slots?

sig230
New Contributor I

Is there any idea when Intel will have an AX200 driver for linux PCIe 4x, 8x and 16x slots?

I have several Intel ax200 based network cards but they will not work in anything but a PCIe x1 slot under Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Budgie or FreeBsd.  Unfortunately quite a few of my computers don't have a PCIe x1 slot so none of the many existing iwl family drivers work.

As pointed out in the thread https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Intel-AX-200-network-card-not-working-under-Linux-Mint/m-p/1281780#M35766 this is an issue common across many different versions of Linux and makes of motherboards.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is not particular to Linux; it happens with Windows as well. AFAIK, it is a hardware limitation of the PCIe carrier card design and there is nothing that Intel can do in the drivers to make up for it. I would also note that there are other PCIe x1 cards, which have nothing to do with networking or wireless, that also will not work in x4/x8/x16 slots. Bottom line, don't expect a miracle here; it is unlikely to happen.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
sig230
New Contributor I

k

Can Intel at least get those folk selling cards using the AX200 to note the issue in their merchandising or produce a guide to any ax200 cards that might work in the x4/8/16 slots?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hah! Fat chance...

...S

0 Kudos
sig230
New Contributor I

Since the device works well in an x1 slot under windows but not in an x1 slot under Linux does it not seem most likely that it is a software driver issue rather than some hardware issue?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Who said anything about it not working in a x1 slot? It works fine in x1 slots. It is x4, x8 and x16 slots where it doesn't work.
...S
0 Kudos
sig230
New Contributor I

Correct.  My Bad.  But the question still seems valid.  The device works under Windows but not under Linux when inserted into an x1 slot.  That seems to indicate that it is a software issue rather than a hardware one; and issue with Intel's software rather than some board related issue.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Who said it doesn't work in a x1 with Linux? It most certainly does if you have the correct driver for the card in your Linux image.

...S

0 Kudos
sig230
New Contributor I

I'm saying that and also lots of other folk are saying that.  It is a fairly common issue and if you read the link to bugzilla in the OP you will find it is not limited to any one card or any one version of Linux or any one brand of motherboard.

0 Kudos