Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Issue with update 22.50.1.1 of Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201

timac34
Beginner

Hi,

I have an Acer Nitro 5 and experience some issues recently. It started with the loss of Bluetooth connection that I tried to fix but without luck then a day later I lost the wifi connexion (I can still connect through Ethernet cable). I see an issue (yellow triangle) in the Device manager for Bluetooth in the Universal serial bus controller with a line with "unknown USB device" but that's not the issue that brings me here. I have another error in the device manager under Network adapters with a yellow triangle on Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201, and the main issue is that I am trying to update the driver to the very latest 22.50.1.1 but it doesn't seem to update it whether I do it using the downloaded exe file or through the Intel Driver Support Assistant or through "update driver" in the tab in Device manager. I am assuming updating to this driver will fix the issue but can't figure out how to do it, any idea?

To be complete I have tried v 21.70.0.6 of the driver (the one that is installing on restart when I uninstall this device in device manager) as well as v 22.10.0.7

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Timac34,

Would you be more specific on the model of Nitro 5 laptop you have? That will help identify proper drivers for the exact model you have.

Also, have you tried completely uninstalling any Bluetooth and wireless driver, restarting, and then installing the proper driver from a clean uninstall and reboot?

0 Kudos
timac34
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Sure my model is the Nitro AN517-52 and intel drive assistant suggest automatically to download and install the v22.50.1.1 but like I said above although the install goes until the end it doesn't seem to do anything to the driver version.

I have tried several times to uninstall all drivers (bluetooth is hidden in device manager but accessed it and removed drivers and same for all drivers from the network adapters. On restart the original drivers are reinstalled automatically and the issue remains..

0 Kudos
timac34
Beginner

But again it's really weird, an hour ago wifi started working again after turning on laptop that I left off for the whole afternoon. However after 5 min the issue appeared again, the Bluetooth issue was still present at all times.

0 Kudos
timac34
Beginner

And I managed to find a more recent bluetooth driver (22.50 instead of the 22.40 installed by default or present on Acer website) but when I install through the exe file same thing happens than for the wifi driver, install seems to work normally but when checking version in device manager it's still the old one (22.40)

0 Kudos
timac34
Beginner

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you tried doing a clean install? The process to use is as follows (don't skip any steps):

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are links to these drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30434 and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30515.
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From Apps & Features, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  5. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled.
  6. In Device Manager, check Network Adapters for an entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200. If none, go to Step 9.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Go to Step 5.
  9. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. I recommend that you checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  11. Install the Bluetooth driver package (rule: always do Bluetooth first).
  12. Install the Wireless driver package.
  13. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  14. Enable Internet access.
  15. Test.

Hope this helps,

…S

0 Kudos
timac34
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I followed each step (even the optional ones) but it does not solve the problem.

When rebooting after uninstalling the driver the wifi Ax201 (and not ax200 as you mention but I guess it’s the same protocol just a mildly different hardware) is back but without any issues (still issue for Bluetooth) however after few minutes or installing latest wifi driver then yellow triangle reappears and the driver version is still 21.10.2.2 and not the 22.50.1 that I installed. It really does seem that those drivers are just not getting installed I don’t get it…. After checking the Bluetooth driver got updated to version 22.50.1 (although I have to select show hidden devices to make it appear in device manager) even if it's still showing code 45 error but the wifi is still indeed on version 21.10.2.2 with a code 10 error (and I did follow your guidance on installing BT first)

Any thoughts on what is happening?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Timac34,

Did you install the update for the Airplane Mode? I ask because it might be possible the default Airplane Mode software was acting in a faulty manner, randomly triggering when it shouldn't. The problem you describe sounds very intermittent.

The link for the Acer Nitro drivers (and Airplane Mode update) is here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/8329?b=1

To get a better understanding of this laptop, how much software has been installed? And what is the primary usage of the laptop - gaming, school and study, occasional usage, ... ?

0 Kudos
timac34
Beginner

I am actually not sure how to update the airplane mode driver as it's not an exe file and I can't see which component to update with this in device manager...? But I don't think this is the issue, I am still able to turn on and off the airplane mode with the Fn+F3.

There's a decent amount of software installed (118 apps found) and I use it for occasional gaming, multimedia & browsing.

0 Kudos
timac34
Beginner

But I noticed just earlier some windows updates including Intel - net - 21.70.0.6 & Intel Corporation - Bluetooth - 21.70.0.3 which I installed but that didn't make any improvement... I am still partially convinced the issue is coming from an update.

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Timac34,

Have you tried resetting the OS to an earlier version of Windows, essentially removing an update? If you go to Settings, then Update & Security, in the left column choose Recovery. You may be able to use the Go back to the previous version of Windows, provided there haven't been too many updates made after the last feature update.

Alternatively, you can use the same procedure to go to Update & Security, and at the bottom of the page you will see View update history. From there you can see what the updates that have been installed and the date. At the top of that page is another option labeled Uninstall updates. You can use that to remove something you suspect is causing the problem.

Lastly, there have been instances where some piece of software was installed and that software caused miscellaneous problems, including network trouble. If you have all the apps you need to install, you can always use the built-in Reset this PC to preserve your data files, but reset the OS as though nothing extra was installed. The downside here is that all your added software will need to be reinstalled.

0 Kudos
timac34
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. I did try to remove some of the updates but it worked for few minutes and then the issue reappeared. I haven't really installed any software just before having the issue so I am not sure it could come from there. The last option I haven't tried yet is to indeed go back to a system image I have done few months ago when setting up the laptop hoping that the issue will be gone.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So, a couple of comments...

1. Intel releases driver packages that include support for multiple hardware solutions. The Wireless and Bluetooth packages are good examples; they contain drivers for the various wireless cards and ICs (AX210, AX201, AX200, 9560, etc. and etc.) being supported. When a new package is released, it provides updates for only those drivers that have been modified since the last time a package was built. If a driver is not touched, however, it is left as is - and thus its version string does not change. As a result, you will see cases where new packages are released but the driver for your particular card/IC didn't change and thus has the old version number. 
  2. After going through the entirety of this conversation, I cannot exclude the possibility that your AX201 card simply has a problem and may need to be replaced. You can replace it yourself (they only cost ~US$25) or you can apply for a RMA replacement through Intel. For the latter, after verifying that your warranty is still active (here: Determine if Your Product Is Still Under Warranty), you need to directly contact Intel Customer Support to initiate the RMA process (you cannot do this here). Here are pages where you can lookup contact information, including local/country phone numbers, by geography:

You can use the online forms service or email, but I actually recommend calling them directly. The above links provide local or toll-free numbers in most countries and support most local languages. You could also use the chat service (start here: Intel Customer Support Chat), but understand that this service is offered in English only and is subject to the normal (9:00-5:00 M-F) office hours in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
timac34
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Number 1 is clear, didn't know that but it makes sense.

I also very much tend to agree with number 2. Basically I did a systeme image restore from just after I purchased the laptops with all my programs installed at the time and the problem was still there at first reboot after installing it even before connecting it to Internet so I also concluded to a potential hardware issue. My laptop is fairly new so therefore still under warranty so will return it for repair.

Thank you both for your help, I was hoping to avoid 3 weeks without my laptop (which happened when I returned it few weeks ago due to issue with screen...) but it seems to be the only option.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
timac34
Beginner

The plot thickens...

In a desperate last try today I removed again the drivers from wifi adater and bluetooth adapter. After restart I was pleased to see that everything was working even bluetooth then as expected after 5 minutes both dropped again. After a bit more research I looked in "Event viewer" and noticed that in the last hour a common hour happened a lot "netwtw08" (photo attaced) and when looking at details it says "Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz #2 : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly" does this then confirm it's a hardware issue?

But also have those under same error

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz #2 : Could not allocate the resources necessary for operation.

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz #2 : Has encountered an internal error and has failed.

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz #2 : The version number is incorrect for this driver.

5032 - Driver Miniport reset watchdog

5035 - Driver OSC Pending OID watchdog

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sounds like it to me. If this card came as part of the Acer Nitro 5 purchase, it is warrantied by Acer and you need to contact them regarding replacement. If you purchased the card separately, however, then you can contact ICS directly, per instructions I provided above, to set up an RMA replacement.

...S

0 Kudos
timac34
Beginner

It is the original card so will contact Acer.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Intermittent errors can be a bear to resolve. The proverbial car is broken until the mechanic looks at it, and then it works fine. In this case you can reproduce the error. I would agree that the hardware is dodgy. Let the manufacturer sort it out.

0 Kudos