Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Issues with Intel R Wireless AC 9260 160 mhz

AnkurS
Beginner

Hi, 

I bought my laptop in Dec 2019 and maintained it very well. Always updated the windows version whenever I saw a prompt to update. But recently I am having issues with the wireless connection. The preinstalled driver has started behaving very weird, I cannot see the wifi option in taskbar. In device manager the wifi driver has an exclamation mark showing some issue with the driver. I am attaching screenshots here. It sometimes works perfectly fine and sometimes just goes away. I tried multiple options like uninstalling and installing the driver, adjusting the power plan to have maximum performance of wireless connection. Can someone please help here. The attached screenshots contain the driver version too. Please help ! 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @AnkurS

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide us with the following information?

1- Is the Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 the original wireless card that came pre-installed in your system or did you integrate it on the laptop?

2- When did it start to happen this behavior? Do you remember if the issue happened after a new Windows update or Wireless/Bluetooth driver update?

3- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AnkurS
Beginner

Hi @AndrewG_Intel 

1. Yes, the  Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 is the original wireless card that came pre-installed with the laptop.

2. It started to appear recently, around 1 week back. 

3. Attaching the result from intel SSU. 

As mentioned previously, I tired everything from updating to uninstalling and re-installing the same driver many times. I have also rest my laptop to factory conditions. I am still not sure why it is happening. At the time of writing all this information, the wi-fi adapter again got disappeared from device manager and I am using internet through USD tethering with my cell phone. 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello AnkurS

Thank you for your response.

In regards to this behavior, as a first approach, we recommend performing a Cold reboot of the system. This refers to fully shut down the device and remove all sources of power, including batteries if applicable, then repowering.

If the issue persists proceed with the following steps:

1- Install all available Windows Updates.

2- Perform a clean installation of both the Wireless and Bluetooth drivers using the customized drivers from Lenovo*:

Note: We noticed you mentioned you tried "uninstalling and re-installing the drivers". However, we just want to make sure the proper process has been followed:

2.1- Download and save to your computer the Lenovo* Drivers: 

• Intel WLAN Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Yoga S730-13IWL, 730S-13IWL, Version 21.0.0.100.
  • Intel® Bluetooth Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Yoga S730-13IWL, 730S-13IWL, Version 21.0.0.4.

To avoid Windows® update reinstalling a different driver during the process, we recommend first downloading and saving the driver installers in your computer, then disconnect the Internet.

2.2- Follow the next steps on this link for a Clean Installation of Wireless and Bluetooth Drivers. Install the Bluetooth driver first, and then the Wireless driver. 

2.3- Reboot the PC

2.4- If the issue persists, you can repeat the process using the latest generic drivers from Intel:

If your system is still showing the error and considering you have tried a "factory reset" and the Intel® SSU report shows many entries about errors with the "network adapter", our recommendation is to contact your computer manufacturer (OEM) Lenovo* for additional support. For your convenience, here is the link to Lenovo* Support.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
i5_1035G1_Sat24

Yes, I was facing the same problem with my Intel AC 9560 last week. It was fixed for sometime after which it again disappeared and finally got the WiFi card replaced with new WiFi piece. 

One of the solution you can try is:

1. Shut down the Computer normally as you would do from Windows Start menu.

2.After it is fully shutdown, Press your laptops power button for at least 30 seconds (NOTE: Computer will turn on for few seconds and then it will turn off too, that's fine)

3.Then turn the computer ON and check the connectivity again. 

This may work if not then I recommend to go to a technician or service center to get the WiFi card replaced.

0 Kudos
AnkurS
Beginner

Thanks for the steps @i5_1035G1_Sat24 , the laptop hard and soft reboot didn't work. But I will try to reach out to lenovo support to check for wifi driver. 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello AnkurS

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to try the recommendations in our previous post as well as the recommendations from the community? Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AnkurS
Beginner

Hi @AndrewG_Intel : 

Thanks for giving your time and explanation for trying the steps. But unfortunately it didn't help. I have tried resetting the laptop twice and updated all the drivers, bios and windows version to the latest one as per suppport.lenovo.com but the wi-fi behavior is still the same. It randomly starts working and randomly just goes away. Will contact the lenovo support to check if the wi-fi card is required to be replaced. 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello AnkurS

Thank you for your response and for the feedback. We are sorry to know that the issue is still present after trying all those steps. In this scenario, we also agree that the best thing to do is to contact Lenovo* Support for further assistance and debugging. Hopefully, they might be able to provide a resolution or a replacement if that is required.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you with this request.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos