Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

KB3161608 + Bluetooth

idata
Employee

I need to install KB3161608 as it contains a Windows Update fix - currently I am not able to use Windows Update as it maxes out my CPU.

Unfortunately, as is well documented on these forums, KB3161608 breaks Intel Bluetooth.

Can we expect a fix for the Bluetooth issue to allow KB3161608 to be installed?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello,

We are glad to inform that the new version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® technology for Windows 7*, that fixes the compatibility issue with the Microsoft KB 3161608/3172605 is already available and can be downloaded from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26191 Here.

- Note that you have to remove these Windows updates and any existing Bluetooth* drivers before installing this new driver.

- This release only applies to the current generation of wireless adapters:

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7265

Intel® Wireless-N 7265

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7260

Intel® Wireless-N 7260

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

Additional details, including the instructions to install it can be found in the following link:

A solution for additional adapters will come a few weeks later.

Regards,

Jonathan

View solution in original post

41 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Why don't you just install kb3161608 directly using method 2 here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161608 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161608

Also, if not already installed, I would install https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161664 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161664 This may well fix your high cpu usage and long WU time (from 5hrs to 5min).

Doc

0 Kudos
MGole1
Beginner

The problem is in every method the same problem occour: Bluetooth stop working!

And this month it is https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3168965 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3168965 !

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Thanks for your participation in the Community.

We have confirmed that KB3161608 causes problems with Bluetooth* and currently, the only workaround available is to remove the update.

At this time, we do not have a way to have KB3161608 installed and Bluetooth* working at the same time.

This situation has been reported to the appropriate resources and we expect it to be resolved in the near future. Please keep in mind that Windows* updates are a Microsoft* feature and Intel does not have inherence on these contents, so we cannot provide a specific time for resolution.

JB

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks, I do have KB3161664 installed and hadn't had problems with WU until yesterday, where it started maxing out the CPU.

I know I could install KB3161608 manually; in fact I did install it last month, but removed it to get Bluetooth working again.

For now I have unfortunately had to disable Windows Update and will use WSUS Offline to get updates until (hopefully) a fix is available.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

We appreciate the update and we hope this will help other users in this situation.
0 Kudos
NPiri
New Contributor I

Bluetooth_broken wrote:

Thanks, I do have KB3161664 installed and hadn't had problems with WU until yesterday, where it started maxing out the CPU.

I know I could install KB3161608 manually; in fact I did install it last month, but removed it to get Bluetooth working again.

For now I have unfortunately had to disable Windows Update and will use WSUS Offline to get updates until (hopefully) a fix is available.

You need to remove/uninstall the KB3161664 update because that win32k.sys fix does not work anymore beyond July 12.

Download & install the KB3168965 win32k.sys update, which supersedes/replaces KB3161664 and temporarily fixes the long WU scan problem until August 8.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks NoelPG for the reply.

I followed your directions, removed KB3161664 and installed KB3168965. After a reboot I re-enabled Windows Update and it scanned for updates and returned the results within a couple of minutes. Installed everything (except KB3161608), rebooted again and so far so good! Thank you very much for the help.

How will I know which update I need to replace it with on August 8? I'm guessing I just look out for the "Security Update for Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers" posted here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/mt637763.aspx Security Bulletins 2016 ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Unfortunately I spoke a little too soon, as although WU is behaving, Bluetooth is now not functional

Different issue this time, no crashing like before, but the Bluetooth radio has an error in Device Manager:

Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)
0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

Instead of using the Intel installer, use Device Manager. Uninstall the driver repeatedly and the device until it becomes unknown. Then use Update Driver and let Windows find the right one.

I have that KB installed on several PCs and BT works fine. I always install bare zip drivers or cab files from WU Catalog. There are scads of reports here and elsewhere of setup failing to complete, or not installing the expected version, and eliminating that variable is another step in troubleshooting this. If that doesn't help, here's another method that basically accomplishes the same thing but might be another avenue of approach:

Try this.

Again, I don't use Intel installers if I don't have to, but rather let the my devices update themselves by showing them bare drivers that are signed and hosted at MS for Windows Updating. Given what we've seen here and elsewhere with the device not working or the installer failing to complete, I think that something in the setup installer is no good. Hence why I use admin drivers and bare cab files.

There are some steps here, but see if this doesn't help. I have that WU file installed and my BT works just fine on AC 7260 and Centrino 6205 devices.

Open the device properties in Device Manager. Open the Details tab. Click and open Hardware IDs. You're going to need to reference this.

Now, using MS Internet Explorer (Firefox, Chrome, etc won't work), open the MS Update Catalog:

https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

In the search box, search on "intel bluetooth". On the results page, click at the top of the Last Updated column to get the most current at top. You should now see the most recent Intel Corporation - Bluetooth Controller - Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) drivers listed.

The most current one for my 7260 device, for example, is 19.0.1621.3340. You might start there. Start clicking them open; there are about 10 different ones because there are a lot of versions and OEMs. The first thing to check is architecture, either AMD64 (bit), or x86 (32bit), depending on your Windows. Then click open Package Details. Start scrolling and searching until you find the hardware ID that matches your device from the DM tab. When you find a match, add it to basket and then download it. Again, make sure you've got the right 32 or 64 bit.

It will be a cab file with a long name. Use a tool like 7-Zip to extract the driver files. Now go back to DM and uninstall the existing driver until it won't go back any further. Then, use the Update Driver button and point it to the extracted files folder and let Windows update itself.

See if that doesn't work.

0 Kudos
GNero
Beginner

Hello,

I just registered to thank you for this hint.

in my case it does not work since in microsofts update catalog i find no driver for windows 7. the search term "intel bluetooth" gives 181 update but they are labeled "windows 8.0, 8.1.." or "windows 10 and later" drivers ... i'm german speaking but "later" means by the word "newer" so i assume that these are no win 7 drivers.

do i misinterpret something?

btw ..i read the announment of the solution following august 8th for certain chipsets. up to now there is no announcement for my centrino wireless-N 1030 chipset which is also affected (win 7 64 hp). i hope there will be one soon, since i'm affected from this wup-hours-long-searching-bug and i need both: a working bluetooth stack AND a performing wup-service.

as for now i uninstalled the "defective" microsoft fix and cross fingers that there will be help.

kind regards from germany

GN

0 Kudos
skuma88
Beginner

Hello,

Microsoft unexpected pulled all of a rags in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161608 KB 3161608. It didn't lift down a KB article, mind we – we can still see it by clicking on a link. Instead, Microsoft yanked all of a downloads listed on a page. Try to download a "June 2016 refurbish rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1" a

0 Kudos
pner
Novice

I can conform, KB3161608 breaks Intel Bluetooth. Uninstalled KB3161608 and now everything works fine

NPiri
New Contributor I

The folks at Intel should pay close attention to this.

Microsoft has just released the https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605 KB3172605 July 2016 Update Rollup for Windows 7 SP1, which supersedes KB3161608.

It looks like KB3172605 also affects Intel bluetooth devices.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NoelPG,

Thank you for this information. We will check on this as well and will update once we have more details.
0 Kudos
UYry
Beginner

Hi All, Hi NoelPG,

I spent few days and hours to find out a solution for my Headset problem. Incredible. I tried to purchase 2 different Bluetooth headsets, purchased new Bluetooth Adapter, Installed 10s of different versions of Bluetooth drivers from intel, broadcom, realtek as well as Audio drivers. At the beginning I have uninstalled Windows update KB3161608 (see how I remember id like my name). But nothing helped. SOLUTION for me was uninstalling KB172605. Working now perfectly.

Problem: Bluetooth headphone is paired successfully. But it is not displayed in Audio Playback Devices list. Listen to Music, Forward VOIP calls options in device properties are disabled - so you cannot connect.

Solution: Uninstall Windows Updates KB3161608 and KB3172605

I am using Lenovo T440S with Windows 7 with regular windows updates.

Also make sure that you

- restart you computer,

- install latest Intel Bluetooth Driver/Software,

- Righ click on paired bluetooth device (in Devices and Printers), and select all of possible services (especially headset) in services tab

- select bluetooth device as default device both in Playback devices and Recording devices,

Thanks,

0 Kudos
pner
Novice

yes, after KB3172605, BT crash at boot.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

We have received confirmation that Windows* 7 update KB3172605, has the same effect as KB3161608. We are looking into ways to prevent this in the future. For now, we can recommend the workarounds mentioned in this thread:

- Remove the KB's, and prevent them from installing again. This will allow you to use the Intel driver and software.

- Use the method recommended by Gattonero to use the in-box driver, and install the Windows* updates:

/message/408202# 408202 https://communities.intel.com/message/408202# 408202

0 Kudos
MHart8
Beginner

Microsoft has said in their known issues on https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605 KB3172605 that INTEL is currently working on an update to correct this. Intel support people, can you please confirm this (because "looking into ways to prevent this in the future" is very vague) and provide an ETA for a fix? Suggestions like removing the Windows 7 cumulative update as a workaround are not very realistic as these particular updates contain important security and functionality fixes for the OS.

Also, has anyone else gotten Gattonero's method to work? Windows device manager sees all of the Intel Bluetooth driver files I have downloaded from the Microsoft Update Catalog site (including the latest - 19.00.1621.3340) as not digitally signed and fails when trying to install them. I also tried downloading the IT Admin version of Intel's bluetooth software package and pointing device manager at that folder, but that doesn't find any usable drivers at all.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

We are glad to inform that the new version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® technology for Windows 7*, that fixes the compatibility issue with the Microsoft KB 3161608/3172605 is already available and can be downloaded from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26191 Here.

- Note that you have to remove these Windows updates and any existing Bluetooth* drivers before installing this new driver.

- This release only applies to the current generation of wireless adapters:

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7265

Intel® Wireless-N 7265

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7260

Intel® Wireless-N 7260

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

Additional details, including the instructions to install it can be found in the following link:

A solution for additional adapters will come a few weeks later.

Regards,

Jonathan
idata
Employee

Thank you Jonathan for posting this update. I have successfully installed the new Bluetooth driver in addition to KB3172605.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to this thread!