Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

KDE Neon Linux Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (Gig+) m.2 wireless card not working

Randyb
Beginner

I have and AMD X570 mobo, AMD 5600X CPU, an installed Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (Gig+) m.2 wireless card, and the KDE neon-user-20210211-0944 distribution. Kernel is 5.4.0-65-generic. Wired ethernet works, and the wireless card also works on Win10, but wireless does not work on linux/neon.

I did:

% sudo apt install backport-iwlwifi-dkms
... and...
% git clone https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/backport-iwlwifi.git
.... and put the .ucode files in /lib/firmware

I'm no expert on this stuff, but the outputs below make me suspect that the driver/module is looking for a firmware version that I don't have (and cannot find), see below:

% sudo lshw -C network
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: I211 Gigabit Network Connection
vendor: Intel Corporation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=igb driverversion=5.6.0-k duplex=full firmware=0. 4-1 ip=192.168.1.18 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=1Gbit/s
resources: irq:37 memory:fc600000-fc61ffff ioport:f000(size=32) memory:fc620000-fc623ff

% sudo lspci -nnk | grep -i intel
05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection [8086:1539] (rev 03)
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

(ie. wired interface is present *but not* wireless)

% modinfo iwlwifi | grep iwlwifi-cc
firmware: iwlwifi-cc-a0-63.ucode

% ls /lib/firmware | grep iwlwifi-cc
iwlwifi-cc-a0-46.ucode
iwlwifi-cc-a0-48.ucode
iwlwifi-cc-a0-50.ucode
iwlwifi-cc-a0-53.ucode
iwlwifi-cc-a0-55.ucode
iwlwifi-cc-a0-59.ucode

(iwlwifi-cc microcode is in /lib/firmware as versions up to 59, but not version 63)

% journalctl | grep iwl

Feb 15 07:38:48 Jboat18 kernel: Loading modules backported from iwlwifi
Feb 15 07:38:48 Jboat18 kernel: iwlwifi-stack-public:master:9022:a34beadd
Feb 15 07:38:48 Jboat18 systemd-modules-load[433]: Inserted module 'iwlwifi'

% lsmod | grep iwl
iwlwifi 389120 0
cfg80211 712704 1 iwlwifi
compat 16384 2 iwlwifi,cfg80211

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Randyb
Beginner

My wifi card is an m.2 Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (Gig+), and after working on my iwlwifi problem for days, the solution below worked for me:

While my system is now running linux KDE Neon, it had previously run Windows 10, and AX200 wifi worked on that. After installing linux, I created a bootable "Win2go" USB flash drive, and booted off that several times just to make sure the AX200 was still working. I never cease to be amazed at how Windows can screw up a system.

Error message on linux:
iwlwifi: probe of XXXX:YY:ZZ.n failed with error -110

Solution:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1083369/ubuntu-18-04-cannot-recognized-intel-wireless-ac-9260

"It is a problem with fast startup mode of Windows. I think because in that mode, Windows keeps the wireless adapter for itself when shut down. hence Linux cannot detect it.

Just go into Settings > Power & Sleep > Choose what power button does > Shut down setting > uncheck the Turn on fast startup > save change and it will work."

It might be a good idea for Intel to put this in their linux Wifi Troubleshooting guide.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Randyb,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.    

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. The brand and model number of your system. You can also provide the Intel® System Support Utility for the Linux* Operating System for more details: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-the-Linux-Operating... 

2. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?   

3. Is the Bluetooth working?   

4. Run the following commands and send us the outcome:  

5. If the above steps don't work, collect the debug data:  

Type: dmesg | grep ASSERT    

If the output is empty, please follow this wiki: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi/debugging  to extract dmesg and trace-cmd.  

If the output has value, please collect from the wiki FW dump too.  

Note: I will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile. Please reply to the email in order to provide us with the report(s) to avoid exposing sensitive information in the communities. 

Regards,  

Sebastian M   

Intel Customer Support Technician   

0 Kudos
Randyb
Beginner

My wifi card is an m.2 Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (Gig+), and after working on my iwlwifi problem for days, the solution below worked for me:

While my system is now running linux KDE Neon, it had previously run Windows 10, and AX200 wifi worked on that. After installing linux, I created a bootable "Win2go" USB flash drive, and booted off that several times just to make sure the AX200 was still working. I never cease to be amazed at how Windows can screw up a system.

Error message on linux:
iwlwifi: probe of XXXX:YY:ZZ.n failed with error -110

Solution:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1083369/ubuntu-18-04-cannot-recognized-intel-wireless-ac-9260

"It is a problem with fast startup mode of Windows. I think because in that mode, Windows keeps the wireless adapter for itself when shut down. hence Linux cannot detect it.

Just go into Settings > Power & Sleep > Choose what power button does > Shut down setting > uncheck the Turn on fast startup > save change and it will work."

It might be a good idea for Intel to put this in their linux Wifi Troubleshooting guide.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Randyb,   

Thank you for your reply. 

I am glad to hear that you found a solution for this, thanks for sharing it with us as well. 

I will share this troubleshooting internally so it can be documented. 

Based on that, we will close this inquiry; however, if you need further help, you can create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M    

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos