Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Laptop can't connect to 2.4Ghz frequencies, only 5Ghz frequencies

SSmit32
Beginner

My Windows 8.1 laptop, fitted with an Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN wireless adapter, suddenly stopped automatically connecting to my router a few months ago. I attempted to connect wirelessly to multiple other routers, all to no avail. My laptop could only connect through an ethernet cable/tethered hotspot. I then moved houses and got the internet set up on a new provider and suddenly my laptop could connect wirelessly again! Sadly, after trying to connect to my university's wi-fi, I found out that the laptop wasn't fixed, it was simply able to connect to my new 5Ghz internet but still had trouble connecting to 2.4Ghz access points.

I've tried everything I can to fix this as my laptop is too vital to my studies for me to be without it even for a short period of time, therefore sending it off for diagnostic and repairs is out of the question for now. So far I have tried:

• Installing the latest Windows 8.1 drivers for the card (currently on v.15.14.0.2)
  • Replacing the wireless card with a new one (same make and model)
  • A complete, fresh re-installation of Windows 8.1

Running out of ideas on what to try and so turning to the community for help. Thanks much in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello Saul_,

Thank you for sharing all these details.

Can you access the adapter settings and check the preferred band on this device? You can also try checking for the wireless mode configuration on the adapter.

Here you can access and get more information in how to check this:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025393.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025393.htm

Kevin M

0 Kudos
SSumn
Novice

in Device manger 6300>properties>Advanced

make sure 2.4+5.2 Ghz are set as auto

11n mode is enabled

ADHOC QOS=enabled

Fat channel

Mixed mode= CTS to Self

Prefered Band=5.2

the rest if the setting leave alone.

Right next to router I now get 300MB

Downstairs 216

PNaga3
Beginner

I already tried it... But It didn't work.

Any more hints?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
PNaga3
Beginner

I'm having the same problem.

Could you solve yours?

Thanks!

0 Kudos