Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Laptop wireless set up problem

idata
Employee

I am trying to connect a Dell laptop to my wireless system. The Intel PROset/Wireless wizard on the laptop asks for a Device Ownership Password for the 2Wire device. The password printed on the device is 10 digits. The wizard will only allow me to enter 8 digits. What do I do?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Instead of allowing the software to prompt you for a device ownership password configure a new profile using the correct SSID, security type and password. Then click connect.

Take following steps:

1. Start Proset Utility

2. Click Pofiles

3. Click Add

4. Give it any name

5. Enter correct SSID (network name, case sensitive)

6. Select Network button

7. Click Next

8. Select security WPA2 personal TKIP or AES COMP are most common now. You should know what type you are using. Try these if you do not.

9. Password box will appear, enter the password for the system. The default for the system for a 2Wire is usually the Wirless Network Key.

0 Kudos
VSánc
Beginner

You can also try by login in as an administrator then going to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs (or Programs and Features) -> Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Software -> Modify -> then UNcheck Wi-Fi Protected Setup.

0 Kudos
vpetr21
Beginner
IMHO Intel ProSet is extremely user UNfriendly

After wasting hours fighting with it I switched to Windows Wireless Connection Manager and my problems have ended for good!

You need about 10 seconds to switch and end the suffering

see http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20701/~/disabling-various-third-party-wireless-card-utilities-in-windows Disabling various third-party Wireless Card Utilities in Windows | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Disabling the Intel PROSet Wireless Utility

Step 1:

Locate and right &# 144;click on the Intel PROSET Wireless utility icon located at the lower right corner of your Windows Desktop.

Step 2:

Select Use Windows to manage Wi&# 144;Fi on displayed on the menu options.

0 Kudos