Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Last driver updated for AC-8260 completely destroyed my ability to use Wi-Fi.

JSchm33
Beginner

Ever since I updated the driver for my Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 for Windows 10 last week, my wireless connection will frequently suddenly stop working, regardless of where I am , what network I am connected to, or what I am doing. This has started to increase in frequency until now it is nearly impossible to be online for more than 5 minutes before the wireless network connection stops working.

In the past, I would see this error occasionally, and I was able to resolve the issue by disabling and then re-enabling the wireless device in Device Manager. Now, Device Manager is not able to disable the device and freezes whenever I try. Additionally, when the wireless network device is in this state, Windows ins unable to reboot gracefully and I am forced to do a hard restart of my computer. This temporarily fixes the issue, but only for a few minutes to a couple of hours.

This is completely unacceptable, Intel.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Lots of people reporting this issue. so you are not alone. Until such time as intel releases a fix for this issue, I can only suggest that you reinstall an older version of the driver and disable Windows Update from updating it.

Intel Customer Support will chime in if there is any information that they need from you to support the debug of this issue...

...S

0 Kudos
JSchm33
Beginner

I can't even do that. I downloaded the previous version of the driver and ran it, and it says it installed successfully, but it won't actually replace the newer version. I tried uninstalling the device and that also causes Device Manager to hang indefinitely, and under Properties the "Roll Back Driver" option is grayed out.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Let me guess: you uninstalled via Device Manager (a.k.a. Device Mangler). Never do that for Intel packages. Always go to Apps and Features and uninstall from there.

...S

0 Kudos
JSchm33
Beginner

I do not see it under Apps and Features. I uninstalled Intel Wireless Bluetooth, Proset/Wireless Sfotware, and Driver and Support Assistant, but none of those removed the actual driver or allowed me to install the earlier version.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Make sure you are completely disconnected from the Internet. You don't want Windows Update sneaking in and reinstalling the package.

Now that you have uninstalled both the Bluetooth and Wireless packages, you will need to go into Device Manager and use the Uninstall Device capability to remove the left-over Wireless driver (Bluetooth as well, if it is an Intel driver associated with it). Reboot when this is done. Check again. Repeat until the Wireless device is gone and the Bluetooth device is either gone or has Microsoft driver associated with it.

Once this is done, you should be able to install the earlier version of the package. If you cannot, then the corruption is more rampant and impossible for me to help you without actually being there. In this case, you may have to consider a reinstallation of Windows.

...S

0 Kudos
JSchm33
Beginner

Thanks for your help! I was able to chat with Intel support and they were able to reinstall the device. It seems to be working for the time being...

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello JSchm33,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

Please run the following tool and attach the report generated:

1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download link 
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Question:

• Is this new wireless card integration on your computer?
  • Do you see any error code in device manager?

Best regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JSchm33
Beginner

I am not able to run the System Support Utility - as soon as it starts scanning, the program enters a Not Responding state and hangs forever.

This is the original wireless card that came with my computer 3 years ago. There is no error code in Device Manager.

0 Kudos