Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

Latest driver for Intel Ultimate-N 6300 sporatic losses

DRyan
Beginner

Upgraded the latest driver (v 15.10.5.1) and pro-set software (16.10.0.0). Am now having more limited connectivity issues from the wireless card that I have to use my wired connection to access the internet. I have tried every trick that has been suggested on other forums and everything but nothing seems to be helping this situation. Looking for support as this has been going on for a while and not getting better but worse.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

It seems you have a mismatch in the driver version. The latest Intel® Proset Wireless Software for this adapter is 16.11.0. The driver version itself varies depending on the operating system used; please refer to the respective table in the article below.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034315.htm Intel� Wi-Fi Products; Intel� PROSet/Wireless Software driver versions by operating system

Please try a clean installation by following these steps: Uninstall of Intel® Proset Software from Programs and Features, restart the system, uninstall the driver from Device Manager, restart again, and finally, install the latest Intel® Proset Software (16.11.0).

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm Intel� PROSet/Wireless Software; Intel� PROSet/Wireless Software downloads

Let's start with the driver and we will see then if the issue persists.

0 Kudos
DRyan
Beginner

I uninstalled the driver and removed it from the computer, restarted and it picked up an older driver on the computer. I uninstalled it an deleted it as well. I did this about four times until I got to the Microsoft driver that I couldn't delete. I uninstalled this driver then installed the driver you wanted me to download. Driver 15.12.06 dated Feb. 25, 2014 is installed as well as the Pro Set Software. Within 15 minutes of installing the driver I had limited connectivity. I reset the adapter and again in about 15 min I had limited connectivity. I re-booted the computer and within 5 min had limited connectivity. I just went back into the driver advanced settings and turned off the power saving features. After 30 minutes I was back again to limited connectivity. This process has been very frustrating to me as I replaced my original wifi card with this one to improve the performance. When the card is working, the performance is good. Dropping the signal is not.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

May I ask, what is the wireless adapter model that was preinstalled with your system? Is this a laptop system?

Do you see any change in the status of the driver in Device Manager when the disconnection occurs?

Did you update the router's firmware?

0 Kudos
DRyan
Beginner

The original wireless adapter was a Broadcom 42143 in a Sony Viao Fit laptop computer. That adapter has had documented issues of slow downloads and poor signal strength. My understanding is Sony wasn't providing answers to owners so the recommendation was to change it out to an Intel version. The Intel card has great performance and has great signal strength but looses the default gateway more than an individual would like.

My router is an apple airport extreme and I always keep the router's firmware up to date. This is not the current generation of airport extreme but the 802.11n version before.

I haven't seen any change in the status of the driver in the device manager when the disconnection occurs but will keep an eye out to see if there is any change.

I am testing the computer on a different wireless connection this weekend as we have traveled to a different location. I will report how often the computer looses the connection.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

It is good idea to test with different wireless networks/routers.

I have few more questions besides the driver status:

• Does the Broadcom* wireless adapter use three antennas just like the Intel® adapter does?
  • Did Sony recommend you this specific Intel® wireless adapter model?
  • Do you see any other events repeating in Event Viewer (Control Panel, Administrative Tools) at the time the issue occurs?
0 Kudos
DRyan
Beginner

After trying it on a different network I found that I did not have any limited connectivity issues. However the network was an 802.11b only. I have not tried this out on a different 802.11n network.

The Broadcom wireless adapter was a two antenna version so I added an additional antenna when going to the Intel wireless adapter.

Sony did not recommend this adapter. The recommendations came from other Sony Laptop owners.

I have not seen any other events repeating in the event viewer but will check again and let you know.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

What happens is that we are unable to guarantee optimal performance or connection stability with this type of integration. I would recommend asking the http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm system manufacturer for a list of validated wireless adapters for your computer.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-006192.htm Wireless Networking; Installation error when installing or swapping Intel wireless adapters

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-011644.htm Intel� Wi-Fi Products; Regulatory information regarding hardware installation or upgrade

0 Kudos