Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Low Bandwidth Issues after Installing AX210NGW

deepusingh
Novice

Hi,

I am using HP ENVY - 13-ad013na from last 3 years. It was factory fitted with Intel Wireless Module 7265NGW. During Christmas I purchased Asus GT-AX11000 Wireless Router. Whenever I checked my bandwidth on speedtest.net, it was minimum 350mbps download and 350mbps upload. 

So I purchased two new Intel AX210NGW Wireless Module to fully utilise the resources. But after installing Intel AX210 Wireless Module, I am only getting maximum 25mbps download and 100mbps upload. Not more than that. I have also replaced Intel AX210 with another Intel AX210, but results are always same. Please guide me if anyone has a solution to this issue. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

I don't have a laptop with an upgradable Wi-Fi option. I am just going about diagnosing this as if it were happening to me - the things I would go through.

Did you remove the older 7265NGW from the OS before installing the newer AX210NGW? There would likely be an option to remove the package from either Settings -> Apps option, or the (somewhat more reliable) Programs and Features tool. You can find the Programs and Features tool from the right side of the Apps tool. At this point, since you already have the driver for the AX210NHW, I would completely remove both pieces of software, reboot, and then just install the newer driver.

If that doesn't work, there are instructions on the Internet on how to reset the network stack in Windows. It is possible there was something that was configured especially to handle the 7265NGW that is not compatible with the newer AX210 unit. These types of things are nearly impossible to ferret out from command line queries. The easiest fix is just to reset the network stack and start fresh, something that isn't a bad idea since you are changing the NIC anyway.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

That Asus GT-AX11000 is a beast. I have the RT-AX88U and would likely upgrade to the RT-AX89U if my AX88U ever quits. But back to your issue ....

Inside the router there should be slection for System Log, and in there a tab for Wireless Log. That is the place to see what devices are connected, if they are using MIMO, channel bandwidth, etc. Would you check the router and see what it is reporting for your device? Also, on the router's Network Map selection, under the area where it lists clients, there is a button for View List. That will give you a real-time updating list of devices and the speeds and bands. Check these two places to see how your HP is being identified.

deepusingh
Novice

Thank you for your Prompt Response. As per your message, I have checked all details inside router. Its connected to same SSID (5GHz Bank) as earlier. And no bandwidth restrictions as well to this HP Notebook.

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

One additional point. In checking further, the data specs for the AX210 module specifically states that under certain hardware conditions, the AX210 is not compatible. I am copying the text:

Comptaible With: M.2 Socket (Key E) but don't support M.2 Socket (Key E) with Intel® CNVi (Integrated WiFi/BT). If your motherboard supports type 2230 WiFi/BT module and Intel® CNVi (Integrated WiFi/BT), that Intel AX210 is not compatible with it

deepusingh
Novice

Hi, Your this point was very important to me before AX210 Purchase. So I contacted HP Support, And after checking all technical specifications, they told me to go ahead for Intel AX210. My Motherboard has M.2 Socket (Key E). I appreciate your efforts, is there anything else I can try or do to resolve this asap ? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

I don't have a laptop with an upgradable Wi-Fi option. I am just going about diagnosing this as if it were happening to me - the things I would go through.

Did you remove the older 7265NGW from the OS before installing the newer AX210NGW? There would likely be an option to remove the package from either Settings -> Apps option, or the (somewhat more reliable) Programs and Features tool. You can find the Programs and Features tool from the right side of the Apps tool. At this point, since you already have the driver for the AX210NHW, I would completely remove both pieces of software, reboot, and then just install the newer driver.

If that doesn't work, there are instructions on the Internet on how to reset the network stack in Windows. It is possible there was something that was configured especially to handle the 7265NGW that is not compatible with the newer AX210 unit. These types of things are nearly impossible to ferret out from command line queries. The easiest fix is just to reset the network stack and start fresh, something that isn't a bad idea since you are changing the NIC anyway.

deepusingh
Novice

Thank you for your response. 90% of the issues solved by the tricks shared by you. Now I m getting more than 350 mbps download. But upload is upto 100 mbps, whereas I have a symmetric bandwidth connection of 300 mbps. In all other deveices, download and upload both above 340 mbps.

Please advise something to enhance the upload bandwidth also. Thank You very much.   

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

I'm glad your laptop is back in business. As for getting the best throughput with the AX210, you may need to adjust Advanced parameters to best match your home network. Specifically, you will probably want to look at Global BG Scan, MIMO Power Save, Mixed Mode Protection, Throughput Booster, U-APSD support. There is a webpage by Intel that explains all the parameters and their functions here:

https://www.intel.in/content/www/in/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-io/wireless.html

Finally, antenna placement is important. I find that the higher the throughput, the more critical the antennas become.