Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

Low signal strength of Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

aash
Beginner

Hi I am using dell laptop with Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 wifi modem.

Till yesterday, I had all the wifi networks working perfectly, but all of a sudden after a routine update of windows 10 got installed all the wifi signals went low. one thing I have observed if I go near the router I get good signal but away from it is causing a disconnection. Tried with all the possible drivers as well, currently on "18.33.7.2" driver version.

Done all the setup requested by other threads as shown below. checked the power consumption and they were set to maximum performance both on battery and powered mode.

Tried uninstalling all the updated on windows 10 but still facing the same issue. I am following up in parallel with windows 10 support team as well.= for resolution.

Please help me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello ashlesh,

We understand that you're experiencing low signal strength issues after installing the latest set of Windows® 10 updates.

In order to better assist you, please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility. This application will scan for your current hardware configuration and settings, then allow you to save this information into a report. To enable file attachments, make sure to switch over to the "advanced editor" mode while replying.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ashlesh,

We haven't heard back from you in a while. Has your issue been resolved?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
aash
Beginner

Hi

Sorry for the late response, I have scanned my laptop using the Intel utility and this is the report that i got

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ashlesh,

Thank you for sharing this report. Would it be possible to share another one generated while your system is connected to a wireless network?

Best regards,

Carlos A
0 Kudos
aash
Beginner

Hi

I have generated the report with my wifi ON can you please have a look on the report

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ashlesh,

Thank you for the report, unfortunately if your wireless is on but you're not connected to a network, we're still missing all the same data.

In this case we can try a clean installation of your wireless drivers. Currently you're using our latest generic drivers, it would be best if you tested with the latest wireless drivers provided by your computer manufacturer instead.

1. Download and save our latest Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for your adapter: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26782/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?v=t Wireless_19.60.0_PROSet64_Win10.exe or the latest version available from your computer manufacturer.

2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 and uninstall it. Make sure to select the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else (unless you're ok with the extra wait) and press OK.

5. Reboot your computer.

6. Install the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software version that was downloaded back in step one.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
aash
Beginner

Hi

I have performed all the steps that were advised by you, but I am stuck in one step where I have to "uninstall any existing instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software". When I am trying to uninstall this is the message that I am getting. I rebooted the system many times but the message remains the same. Please advise.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ashlesh,

That is certainly odd. It might be good to check and make sure that your antivirus software is completely up to date and isn't blocking our installer.

We can also recommend using the https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed Microsoft* troubleshooter or third-party tools such as https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html Revo Uninstaller Free* to forcefully remove the program.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ashlesh,

Has the issue been resolved? Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos