Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Low speed and random disconnects from wifi. Using intel dual band wireless-ac3165

GBeko
Beginner

Hello, I bought a brand new Dell inspiron 15 5577 and it comes with Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165, since I started used I noticed that it goes too slow in Internet and had random disconnects so I updated the adapter and nothing happened. The same problem goes on using the wireless connection but the Ethernet goes nice.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello GiorgosBekoulis,

We understand you're unable to get the expected speed and connection stability on your new laptop using the https://ark.intel.com/products/89450/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-3165 Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165.

In order to better assist you, we would like the following information:

1. Intel® System Support Utility report.

1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® SSU

2. While connected to your WiFi network, run the scan for "everything."

3. Save and name the report.

2. Wireless Autoconfig report (only if you're using Windows® 10).

1. Right click your start menu icon and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.

2. Enter: netsh wlan show wlanreport

3. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WlanReport\

4. Upload the wlan-report-latest.html file along with your reply.

3. Wireless router brand and model.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
GBeko
Beginner

Hello Carlos A.,

here are the things you asked. Also the router is the technicolor td5136v2.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello GiorgosBekoulis,

Thank you for these reports.

What we can see here is that you're currently connecting to a legacy Wireless-N (802.11n) network using the 2.4 GHz band. Since your wireless adapter is a 1x1 model (one antenna supporting one data stream), your maximum connection rate in this configuration is only 72 Mbps (150 Mbps when using 5 GHz band/channel bonding).

Connection rate is always a greater number than your download speed, it represents the transmit rate between your computer and your router. Download speed measurements don't account for network overhead and environmental factors such as encryption, routing, RF interference, distance, etc. Because of this, your maximum download speed is roughly half of your connection rate, although it may be less depending on how many devices are connected at the time (user congestion).

Wireless-N and 2.4 GHz networks are more susceptible to interference than newer standards and the 5 GHz band. This, paired with your low connection rate is a very likely cause behind your random disconnections. In some cases, your connection rate may drop low and your system will behave as if connection was lost when it's simply degraded.

For 1x1 wireless adapters such as the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 we highly recommend using Wireless-AC capable routers, the speed difference reliability improvements will be noticeable.

There is one more driver update available which may help somewhat, but I wouldn't expect this to be a final solution.

1. Bluetooth®: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27622 Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10 Version 20.40.0

2. WiFi: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27615 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 Version 20.40.0

We recommend installing the Bluetooth® driver, followed by the Wireless package.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
GBeko
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for that. At the beginning I updated the bluetooth driver and it didn't work. Then I updated the wifi driver with the one that you suggested and it seems to work fine for now. I' ll let you know if I have any further issues.

Best, Giorgos

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello GiorgosBekoulis,

Glad to hear we were able to help.

If need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos