Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport is missing after replacing with a different NIC

dprat1
Beginner

Its not listed in device manager or network connections. I looked in the hidden section in device manager also. I uninstalled the new adapter a few times and nothing works. The old adapter worked great creating a hotspot but I can't get this new one working. The new adapter is Centrino 6235.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Try enabling the Wireless Hosted Networks by going to administrator elevated command prompt and type

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode= allow

Restart the PC and check and see if the miniport is there.

0 Kudos
dprat1
Beginner

I did that already to no avail.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello DrewPratt,

I am not sure at this point what the Operating System you have is but in case it is Windows 8.1, this is not visible so you will need to select the option "Show Hidden Devices".

If you have tried this already, let me know the following:

1. What the Operating System installed is?
  2. What was the previous wireless adapter installed?
  3. What is the computer brand and model?

Kevin M

0 Kudos
dprat1
Beginner

I looked under hidden devices and it's not there.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate.

My previous adapter is a Centrino 2230. I reinstalled it and Virtual Microsoft Wifi Miniport showed up on the old one.

My laptop is a HP Pavilian dv7

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

I understand. Can you verify with the Computer Manufacture if the wireless card you are using can be integrated and fully compatible with your system?

The driver package for the old adapters is the same as the driver package for the new adapter so it should not be a driver problem.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
dprat1
Beginner

I looked on HP's site to see if there drivers supported the 6235 and it did so I bought it. It works great except I can't create my own hotspot without the Virtual Wi-Fi adapter.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Try disabling it by typing on the CMD this:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow

After that try enabling again:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode= allow

Check this link for more information:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd815243%28VS.85%29.aspx http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd815243%28VS.85%29.aspx

NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Kevin M

0 Kudos