Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

Multicast messages not always received over Wifi with AC8260

JLain5
Beginner

I have problems while running mDNS discoery on Win10 laptops over Wifi having AC8260 chips (HP Elitebook & ZBook). Seems that mDNS queries are transmitted as MAC multicast but answers from service are never received (MAC multicasts). This usually happens after switching between Wifi APs i.e. at some point Wifi chip configuration seems to get broken and reception of multicast messages fail (filtered ??).

I have another PC connected to same router over ethernet and I can see from Wireshark that mDNS queries are sent from laptop and service responds with answers but as said laptop doesn't receive them over Wifi. Disabling/enabling NW adapter from Control Panel helps.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Download, run, and ATTACH (using the paperclip under the toolbar) the results of this urility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Doc

0 Kudos
JLain5
Beginner

SSU results.

- Jori

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

HelloJ Lain5,

Thank you for your response.

According to the report, it seems that you are using generic wireless drivers. Could you please let us know if this issue happens if you use the latest Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) drivers?

Please try to perform a Clean Installation of Wireless drivers: Both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

Step 1: Get the latest system-specific driver from your computer manufacturer support.

Software and drivers for HP EliteBook 850 G3 Notebook PC

Bluetooth 21.70.0.3 Rev.A

Wi-Fi 21.40.2.2 Rev.L

Step 2: Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver.

Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver for your wireless adapter. You can't uninstall an inbox driver (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it’s uninstalled.

1. Go to Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Network Adapters category.
  3. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter/Bluetooth and choose to uninstall it.
  4. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
  5. Restart your computer.

Step 3: Driver installation.

Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion.

Please let us know if the issue persists.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

HelloJ Lain5,

Were you able to review the recommendations provided?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

HelloJ Lain5,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
GRolf
Beginner

Hi, we are experiencing the exact same problems. All computers with Intel WiFi chips are seeing dns-sd/mdns issues after network changes.

This is very easy to reproduce. Start with having Wireshark capturing on the WiFi. Filter on mdns to see what is received for the destination address 224.0.0.251. Normally one will see some answers to standard queries coming in. Then set the Wifi in flight mode, out of flight mode, and connect to the WiFi again. Check wireshark again. Suddenly will you only see mdns packages from you own computer. Using wireshark on another computer for same wifi network can show queries from my computer, as well as many answers from all network systems. On my own computer are only the sent queries seen.

The only way to resolve this is by disable and enable the network interface. That's not an OK solution since it requires elevation.

Windows 10 is up to date, my chip is AC 8260 with Intels latest driver20.70.16.4.

We know that we can get e.g. Google Chrome MDNS Broswer App to work during these circumstances, but that is because they use a non standard source port for their queries, resulting in the answers being returned with Unicast instead of Multicast, and that works. Only 224.0.0.251 seems blocked, but I'm actually unsure if other multicast addresses work. Using another source port for dns-sd/mdns isn't a viable solution either since it will be blocked by corporate routers if not using standard ports...

When testing with computers with wifi from other manufacturers, then these problems aren't seen.

This issue is causing major problems for many of our customers... Please, please fix.

0 Kudos
GRolf
Beginner

The result of running ssu.exe on my machine

0 Kudos
GRolf
Beginner

I've tested a bit more and it's not only mdns (224.0.0.251) which stops working. I verified that it would also block 224.0.0.3, and I think it actually blocks all incoming multicast communication. Sounds like a pretty serious bug to me.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello GRolf,

Thank you for posting your question on this Intel® Community.

To better assist you, please start a new in the Intel® NUC: Wireless and Bluetooth Issues subforum.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
GRolf
Beginner

Ok, wrote https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004fzj1CSAQ/intel-wifi-chips-are-blocking-multicast-after-resuming-from-airplane-mode-etc instead.

Not in the NUC forum since this issue is not at all restricted to my NUC computer. It's seen with every intel chip we tried in many different machines. Pretty sure it's a driver issue.

0 Kudos
JLain5
Beginner

I have some experience on setting up Wifi chips in embedded systems and I suspect that this issue is related to MAC address filtering i.e. MAC multicast addresses must be explicitely allowed in driver level when connecting in STA mode and this is somehow now messed up when switching between Wifi networks.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello JLain5,

We have sent you a private message requesting additional information about your system configuration.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello JLain5,

Thank you for your response. We are looking into this issue, and we would like to have the following details about your setup and system configuration:

1. When did this issue start?
  2. Did it work before, and now it doesn't work? If yes, has anything changed on the computer since that time? For example, has the access point or environment changed?
  3. Did Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 adapter come pre-installed in your computer?
  4. Is this issue happening at home, office environment or both?
  5. Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks?
  6. Does the issue happen if you connect the HP EliteBook 850 G3 via LAN connection?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
JLain5
Beginner

1&2: Issue has been there (at least) as long as I have tried to use mDns over Wifi i.e. it has never worked.

3: Yes

4. Both

5. Happens in any Wifi nw environment

6. No.

Check the original description I wrote: if I have another laptop connected to same router with Ethernet cable I can see the mDns responses using wireshark i.e. the responses are really multicasted to every port on the router and also to Wifi. But AC8260 ia not able to receive them.

Using another laptop with Broadcom Wifi chip there is no problems.

-Jori

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello JLain5,

Thank you for your response.

We will update this thread soon.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos