Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

My AC 8265 can't see ac connections

TDeBa1
Beginner

I have an Intel Dual Band wireless AC 8265 card and it's seeing ac networks as only n. My laptop sees the 5GHz band I'm connecting to as ac, while my desktop card only sees it as n. The drivers I have installed were the ones on the disc I got with the card (version 19.10.10.2).

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello TforTrevor,

Thanks for posting in our community.

Are you using the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 Desktop Kit? If so, please make sure the antennas are properly connected:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024408/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Integration Guide for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 Desktop Kit

In order to better assist you, we would like to gather some more information. Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Intel® System Support Utility and share the resulting report with us.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
TDeBa1
Beginner

I am not using the desktop kit, I am using a GC-WB867D-I from Gigabyte. I attached the text file from the System Support Utility

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TforTrevor,

Thanks for your reply.

We noticed notice there are drivers installed for another wireless adapter. Please make sure to uninstall the drivers for TP-LINK Wireless N Adapter* and disconnect the device from the system if still present.

After that, please test a clean installation of the wireless driver.

1. Download and save your driver of choice. You can:
    1. Get the latest system-specific driver https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC-WB867D-I-rev-42# support-dl from your computer manufacturer support.
    2. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005559.html Download the Latest Driver for Your Intel® Wireless Adapter.
  2. Uninstall the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software.
    1. Open Programs and Features (Uninstall a program) from the Control Panel.
    2. Select Uninstall or Change and then Remove.
    3. When prompted, choose to discard settings.
  3. Uninstall your wireless driver. Windows* with an inbox driver may natively support some wireless adapters. You cannot uninstall an inbox driver. Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it's uninstalled.
    1. Go to Device Manager.
    2. Expand the Network Adapters category.
    3. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.
    4. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
  4. Clear out your temporary files.
    1. Press the Windows* key and R key simultaneously to open the run box.
    2. Type in: cleanmgr.exe and press the Enter key or OK.
    3. Place a check mark next to Temporary Files. You can leave everything else checked or unchecked.
    4. Press OK and wait.
  5. Reboot your computer.
  6. Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator and follow the wizard to completion.
  7. (Optional Step) Apply the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000024678.html Recommended Settings for Wireless Connectivity.

Please let us know the results.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
TDeBa1
Beginner

I did everything you said, in the order you said to do it and it's still not seeing AC. I attached an SSU log of my computer after doing everything

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TforTrevor,

Thanks for your reply.

Judging by the report, everything seems fine with the adapter, at least for drivers and configuration.

It is possible the antennas on the adapter are not properly connected or defective. You may test connecting it to a different PCIe slot or on a different system to confirm if the issue follows the adapter.

For further assistance, we recommend contacting the https://www.gigabyte.com/Support PCIe adapter manufacturer. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
TDeBa1
Beginner

I swapped the PCIE slot and it is still only doing N mode and I don't have another computer to test it.

Do you have an estimate of the speeds I should be getting with it in N vs AC modes? Using the speed test on dslreports.com I get 450 mbps download and 300mbps upload with 1gbps upload and download internet.

If it is actually not working properly, then I guess I'll have to return it and possibly get a completely different card.

Also a quick question: Does this card support beamforming?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TforTrevor,

Thanks for your reply.

In adapters with 2x2 antennas (such as the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265), the maximum connection rate for 802.11n is 300 Mbps, and 867 Mbps for 802.11ac.

However, your system is negotiating with the router at AC speeds. Your last Intel® SSU file reports the connection rate is 866.7 Mbps, and the channel is 56, which is part of the 5GHz band range. That, plus the fact that you're achieving 450 Mbps download speeds points you're connected to 802.11ac, the system just seems to report it as a 802.11n network. You can find more details about your wireless connection status typing the following on a command prompt: netsh wlan show interfaces

As for beamforming, this is part of the 802.11ac standard which the adapter is compliant with.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TforTrevor,

We haven't heard from you in while. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
TDeBa1
Beginner

Sorry I forgot to mark your reply as the correct answer

0 Kudos